ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Monday musings...

So how do we know this? What is our rate? I'm not just being difficult or even skeptical. I just don't understand how this can be stated definitely without a number associated with it. If we know that our rate is so low, then what is our rate?
I know this. No, I’m not giving out uncorroborated numbers. This is well known in the complex.

A&M also having similar trouble, fwiw.

understand your point but am somewhat confused. How do we know if he hasn't emphasized this ordeal? How do we know if he himself hasn't taken every precaution as the other coaches? Do some think that he has persuaded his team to not take the vaccine? All this hand wringing because of what s ome interpret what he's said or hasn't said? Isn't it up to the university itself to make public it's policy on this? What if some of these other coaches mentioned, in the coming weeks come down with the virus and also have to sit out after taking every precaution, same as players on these other teams? So, this is mostly about appearances and percentages?

I would assume that eventually we'll get to the minimum percentage that's been set forth and everything will play out one way or the other.

Because he said he gave them the info and told them it’s a personal decision. What he has done by his inaction is increase the chances players will miss games compared to some rivals. Could uga have 10 players miss a game and they lose and we only have a couple of third stringers miss? Sure but that’s not likely. He didn’t increase the chances of players not missing like others did.

Reactions: AUSWEtiger
Look, AU has one of the lowest vax rates in college football and is the lowest in the SEC. The program is facing outright resistance from inside the complex (not talking about Harsin at all) and it’s not getting better.

That’s a fact and the SEC is going to make things harder on AU football this season as a result. That’s also a fact.

I haven’t offered much of an opinion on this because I’m conflicted myself. I don’t personally feel comfortable making a person take a vaccine. I also think the data is clear. Some people think Rush was a terrible band. I can’t help them.
This is my thing. I am pro vax and think people should take it. I also think the dogma around it and the “take it or lose your freedoms” type attitude that has crept in some circles is troubling for down the road.

This lines up perfectly with BMatt stating a few weeks ago on the pod that he would force the team to get the vaccine, which nobody should be able to do. I’ve personally gotten the vaccine but I would never make someone else get it just because it’s not my place nor my body. This column is about as a piss poor as Goodman’s from this past week.

You really want the AD to come in and go against the HC’s wishes? Really?
No, I would prefer the AD to set the policy for all athletics and be the fvcking BOSS.... If any particular coach takes issue, then they can talk it out. I'm not calling out ADAG, I'm simply stating that IMO it makes more sense for ADs across the country to handle this issue and also makes sense for them to push the vaccine since the bottom line could be impacted if their teams have issues during the season. We just disagree on this issue, not sure why you think it's so outlandish to want the AD to set athletics policy but obviously we're not gonna see eye to eye on this one.

It still amazes me that some fans still think winning a football game is more important than allowing a young man to make his own decision on his own health. WTF?
I don’t think anyone is saying that and IMO you are missing the real point. Our new HC is obviously not encouraging our players to take a precaution that is best for their health according to overwhelming medical science, unlike our rival HCs. It’s also the best thing for the program he is leading as it would greatly reduce the risk of positive tests and disruption of the season.

Look, AU has one of the lowest vax rates in college football and is the lowest in the SEC. The program is facing outright resistance from inside the complex (not talking about Harsin at all) and it’s not getting better.

That’s a fact and the SEC is going to make things harder on AU football this season as a result. That’s also a fact.

I haven’t offered much of an opinion on this because I’m conflicted myself. I don’t personally feel comfortable making a person take a vaccine. I also think the data is clear. Some people think Rush was a terrible band. I can’t help them.
Rush was good. AC/DC sucks dong.

Bryan Harsin was hired to coach the Auburn football team and win as many damned games as possible.

He, along with every other cfb coach, was placed in uncharted waters regarding team vax rates.

This issue doesn't have to be political as most here want to make it. There's blues not getting the vax and there's plenty of reds that did. Still, personal choice isn't a thing to scoff away.

We can all agree group think is real. Harsin could have been more direct regarding the vax, I agree, but we're dragging him through the mud for letting his players be the judge? Are they adults now? What if the majority of the team just refuses the vax atp? He could have taken the same stance as Saban or Kirby or Lane and what if it backfired?

Hiding your anger over this behind our seemingly "competitive disadvantage" is cynical. It's been boiling over in some of you since SEC media days.

Does being vaccinated insure that you aren't setting at home right now? * See Derek vaccinated Mason

(side note.. I'm vaccinated myself, just pointing out that what you relating being vaccinated and sitting at home doesn't relate)

It decreases testing.

Ever wonder why seasonal influenza shots werent part of that required regimen?
Because the flu and COVID are not on the same level, neither in terms of infectiousness, nor in terms of serious complications or death. The worst flu outbreak in the last 20 years resulted in about 65,000 deaths in the US. We've lost over 630,000 people to COVID in the last 18 months and a similar drastic disparity in hospitalizations between COVID and the flu exist.

it absolutely IS an affront to liberty and your dismissal of “muh freedom” is disturbing but not unexpected from someone that doesnt know the difference between actual science and scientific opinion.
I dismiss it because I do understand actual science. I also understand that we are neither a libertarian nor anarchist society. When people's "liberty" puts other people at risk and overwhelms our hospitals, we as a society have a right to say that there are limits to that liberty. We can require a vaccine for the same reason we can tell you that you have to carry liability insurance on your car to drive, or that you can't drive 130 mph on the interstate. Or that your children, absent a documented, verified medical condition, have to be vaccinated to attend public schools.

freedom.jpg

Are suggesting the SEC will change their rules to punish Auburn?

Thought last season was complete BS when the B1G changed their rules so Ohio State could make the playoff and no league should change their guidelines to reward/punish a program.

I appreciate you not dropping trou and threatening to quit the site.
That was a little harsh on my end. My apologies. Just tired of the COVID talk, and now it's exacerbated by a mods article. Also tired of the "you caught COVID you're a bad person" mantra. I've been here for too long to let COVID talk push me to leave this place. It wasn't really a "threat" more of a tired of the same BS talk for the past 2 years.

Because the flu and COVID are not on the same level, neither in terms of infectiousness, nor in terms of serious complications or death. The worst flu outbreak in the last 20 years resulted in about 65,000 deaths in the US. We've lost over 630,000 people to COVID in the last 18 months and a similar drastic disparity in hospitalizations between COVID and the flu exist.

I dismiss it because I do understand actual science. I also understand that we are neither a libertarian nor anarchist society. When people's "liberty" puts other people at risk and overwhelms our hospitals, we as a society have a right to say that there are limits to that liberty. We can require a vaccine for the same reason we can tell you that you have to carry liability insurance on your car to drive, or that you can't drive 130 mph on the interstate. Or that your children, absent a documented, verified medical condition, have to be vaccinated to attend public schools.

freedom.jpg
Outstanding

No, I would prefer the AD to set the policy for all athletics and be the fvcking BOSS.... If any particular coach takes issue, then they can talk it out. I'm not calling out ADAG, I'm simply stating that IMO it makes more sense for ADs across the country to handle this issue and also makes sense for them to push the vaccine since the bottom line could be impacted if their teams have issues during the season. We just disagree on this issue, not sure why you think it's so outlandish to want the AD to set athletics policy but obviously we're not gonna see eye to eye on this one.

Disagree. He hired these coaches. He should let them deal with their players.

I know this. No, I’m not giving out uncorroborated numbers. This is well known in the complex.

A&M also having similar trouble, fwiw.
So the resistance is from the players? Or other coaches? Or administrative people?

Why? Because he most likely caught COVID while engaging with students on campus(while wearing a mask like he was told to do so by the CDC)? .

Also what if most of our players already have natural immunity and because of that chose not to get vaccinated? This one thing is just beyond absurd at this point. Stop making people victims for catching a virus.
come on man, he should've been vaccinated like Vrabel and none of this would be happening

Because he said he gave them the info and told them it’s a personal decision. What he has done by his inaction is increase the chances players will miss games compared to some rivals. Could uga have 10 players miss a game and they lose and we only have a couple of third stringers miss? Sure but that’s not likely. He didn’t increase the chances of players not missing like others did.
so he did do what he was supposed to and should have because it is a personal decision, right? Is he to be condemned because he isn't forcing young men to go against their personal decisions? I seriously doubt he's advising anyone to not take the vaccine.

I'm confused how you can combine Harsin testing positive(with little to no symptoms, which could have happened even if vaccinated) vs the team vaccination rate...and why this is an issue with Akron and Georgia State being the first two games of the season. We could win with the towel bowl coaching both games...what if we don't have an outbreak on the team, what then?
Because as long as we are below the vaccination threshold our players will get tested. Meaning our team could have just as many a-symptomatic positive COVID cases as Georgia, but they won’t get tested and we will because we are below the threshold.

This is true, but why is Harsin a poor leader because he caught the virus, while most likely engaging with students on campus, and wearing a mask, as the CDC has asked unvaccinated(or even vaccinated) to do. That's the disconnect in my mind here. One doesn't equate to the other. This column would have made more sense if there was a COVID outbreak on the team AND Harsin also tested positive.

It's not about Harsin testing positive ... it's about Harsin (and broader AU leadership) not having the team in a better position give the NCAA guidelines that were communicated months ago.

Harsin testing positive was "icing on the cake" confirmation for the frustration that has emerged since SEC Media Days over Harsin's lackadaisical attitude regarding the guidelines.

Interesting. Thanks JGT.

maybe this will lead to people dropping the Harsin anti-vax rhetoric

Agreed. What does BMatt want Harsin to do? Force vax in a free country? Jab them while they're sleeping?

We're seeing many many fully vaxed ppl getting covid. So there could be a Covid outbreak if the team is vax or not. Covid vax doesn't prevent getting covid, transmitting and testing positive.

*I'm fully vaxed btw.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT