ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Monday musings...

giphy.gif

I'm confused how you can combine Harsin testing positive(with little to no symptoms, which could have happened even if vaccinated) vs the team vaccination rate...and why this is an issue with Akron and Georgia State being the first two games of the season. We could win with the towel bowl coaching both games...what if we don't have an outbreak on the team, what then?

I'm confused how you can combine Harsin testing positive(with little to no symptoms) vs the team vaccination rate...and why this is an issue with Akron and Georgia State being the first two games of the season. We could win with the towel bowl coaching both games...what if we don't have an outbreak on the team, what then?
Pretty easily, it's all part of him not making it a point of emphasis in his program compared to Auburn's rivals. How many other head coaches are sitting at home during fall camp right now? Also, this is about the entire season, not just the first two games. If AU doesn't have an outbreak during the season, that would be great. But he's put Auburn in the position of having a higher chance of an outbreak compared to its rivals.

I'm confused how you can combine Harsin testing positive(with little to no symptoms) vs the team vaccination rate...and why this is an issue with Akron and Georgia State being the first two games of the season. We could win with the towel bowl coaching both games...what if we don't have an outbreak on the team, what then?

There’s a direct correlation and he’s obviously not talking about those 2 teams. I think he’s assuming our vax rate isn’t going to jump up since it hasn’t up to this point. And read the article. He’s talking about giving us the best chance not to have players miss games.

Reactions: Swamp1
Pretty easily, it's all part of him not making it a point of emphasis in his program compared to Auburn's rivals. How many other head coaches are sitting at home during fall camp right now? Also, this is about the entire season, not just the first two games. If AU doesn't have an outbreak during the season, that would be great. But he's put Auburn in the position of having a higher chance of an outbreak compared to its rivals.
Why? Because he most likely caught COVID while engaging with students on campus(while wearing a mask like he was told to do so by the CDC)? .

Also what if most of our players already have natural immunity and because of that chose not to get vaccinated? This one thing is just beyond absurd at this point. Stop making people victims for catching a virus.

I'm confused how you can combine Harsin testing positive(with little to no symptoms, which could have happened even if vaccinated) vs the team vaccination rate...and why this is an issue with Akron and Georgia State being the first two games of the season. We could win with the towel bowl coaching both games...what if we don't have an outbreak on the team, what then?
Ah, good to hear COVID won't be an issue after Week 2

Lol. Me and many others agreed with the al.com article and were accused of not being Auburn fans. I respect BM for knowing this and still going against the base here.
Word. I get what you’re saying. I took both Pfizer shots the first day I was eligible and I’ll be taking the booster ASAP. In the spirit of full disclosure.

Auburn creates its own competitive disadvantage, Bruce Pearl doing his thing and livin’ a teenage dream...

MUSINGS
I think expecting a Football coach to be the guy responsible for getting the team vaxed is a lofty expectation.

I understand other coaches shamed and pressured their teams to get it and Harsin could have done the same.

But these are not robots, they are people. This is not an athletic issue but one of a personal nature. I think Harsin's actions are far more respectful of the players themselves than his counterparts. That counts for something.

I will always support the principled individual over someone who beleives the ends justify the means.

Would not be surprised if this attitude helped us in recruiting.

At minimum, it shows that Harsin is different than most and certainly shows he is different than anythiny Auburn has ever had.

I think expecting a Football coach to be the guy responsible for getting the team vaxed is a lofty expectation.

I understand other coaches shamed and pressured their teams to get it and Harsin could have done the same.

But these are not robots, they are people. This is not an athletic issue but one of a personal nature. I think Harsin's actions are far more respectful of the players themselves than his counterparts. That counts for something.

I will always support the principled individual over someone who beleives the ends justify the means.

At minimum, it shows that Harsin is different than most and certainly shows he is different than anythiny Auburn has ever had.

Or other coaches just explained what it could do as far as losing games and how their decisions can greatly affect the team. They didn’t just say here’s the info and it’s a personal decision.

It is a competitive disadvantage because my politics disagree with the head coach...that is what we are essentially saying here. I am vaccinated because for me it was the right thing to do and I knew certain events I wanted to attend this year were going to require it. I don't regret that decision and I think it is a good thing. But I am sick and tired of reading about this, I am sick and tired of people pushing this because anyone feels differently.

The competitive disadvantage with this team is in Orlando right now...the OL is a competitive disadvantage, the WRs are a competitive disadvantage, the QB position is a competitive disadvantage but we are going to continue to harp on the guy who has a different political affiliation. The only people talking about this are writers...not one coach is sitting in some kids home and saying "Well, did you see the Auburn vax statistics?" Those recruits don't care...they care about what happens on the field and what the school can do for their future.

THIS, thank you. Forcing a teenager to get the vaccine isn't leadership. Giving these players the information they need to make a CHOICE is 1000% leadership. Hell Harsin still could have tested positive even if vaccinated, our players also may never miss a game, even if not at the 85% threshold. It's all just a victim mentality now.

Lol. Me and many others agreed with the al.com article and were accused of not being Auburn fans. I respect BM for knowing this and still going against the base here.
Thanks. There was plenty of trepidation in writing this because I knew what the reaction would be but my point all along and I hope I made it clear is that Auburn football is at a competitive disadvantage due to its own inaction, which could be reflected in wins and losses.

why this is an issue with Akron and Georgia State being the first two games of the season.

My goodness. It doesn't matter what your views of COVID are ... this is a terrible take. Amateur-hour nonsense.

Whether it is avoidable or not, having your head coach sidelined two weeks before his inaugural season is a big fookin' deal.

Word. I get what you’re saying. I took both Pfizer shots the first day I was eligible and I’ll be taking the booster ASAP. In the spirit of full disclosure.
This is a step that many were waiting on, maybe it will persuade some more to have an open mind.

Thanks. There was plenty of trepidation in writing this because I knew what the reaction would be but my point all along and I hope I made it clear is that Auburn football is at a competitive disadvantage due to its own inaction, which could be reflected in wins and losses.

Agree. Me and plenty of others have said the exact same. Boom. Fda just approved. Maybe this will make a difference for some players.

Reactions: Space Funk Booty
Auburn creates its own competitive disadvantage, Bruce Pearl doing his thing and livin’ a teenage dream...

MUSINGS
2 things about this story:

1) you couldn't be more right about how totally irresponsible it was for Harsin not to have been vaccinated as well as being a leader in getting his players to vaccinate.

2) There are things that I would do to Katy Perry that are still considered felonies in Alabama. For that reason, I would drive to California to meet up with her instead of making her come here.

My goodness. It doesn't matter what your views of COVID are ... this is a terrible take. Amateur-hour nonsense.

Whether it is avoidable or not, having your head coach sidelined two weeks before his inaugural season is a big fookin' deal.
Why is a big deal? Serious question...what exactly can't Harsin do via Zoom and other methods in 2021 that he couldn't on the field during practice? We act like it's 1920 and telephones don't exist, or the entire country hasn't used Zoom and other conference call methods to communicate.

Reactions: poppiclan1
I'm no anti-vaxxer by any means...had my second shot in Feb....but taking the approach that the student athletes should make a decision on a yet unapproved vaccine with their parents and physicians should not bring the condemnation on Harsin that he is getting. If the athletes have true concerns about the vaccine and their health then football should not override those concerns.

I disagree wholeheartedly. If we have players convicted enough to not want the shot, who the hell are we to demand it? Over football? I care more about these kids than our record. Screw our record.

I’m a grad and season ticket holder. I grew up going to games. Grew up memorizing the media guide while on the crapper. I could tell you which players in the 80s loved steak and their favorite tv show was the A-Team.

This is not an effective vaccine and should not need a “booster”. There’s enough info to make millions of people question how it would negatively impact their health. Been here since 2001, right after graduating. Disappointing attacks on our coach, who is letting these guys make their own decisions. I applaud him.

Why is a big deal? Serious question...what exactly can't Harsin do via Zoom and other methods in 2021 that he couldn't on the field during practice? We act like it's 1920 and telephones don't exist, or the entire country hasn't used Zoom and other conference call methods to communicate.
You don't think theres a single negative aspect to not having our brand new HC trying to build his culture being absent from weeks of practice? He could for sure still get it even if vaxxed, not trying to make any point about that, but don't see how to spin him being gone as no big deal.

Why is a big deal? Serious question...what exactly can't Harsin do via Zoom and other methods in 2021 that he couldn't on the field? We act like it's 1920 and telephones don't exist, or the entire country hasn't used Zoom and other conference call methods to communicate.

Man ... I don't know what to tell you other than he made it more difficult for himself and his players.

V4MnS1d.jpeg

Reactions: 00aubie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT