ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Monday musings...

I disagree wholeheartedly. If we have players convicted enough to not want the shot, who the hell are we to demand it? Over football? I care more about these kids than our record. Screw our record.

I’m a grad and season ticket holder. I grew up going to games. Grew up memorizing the media guide while on the crapper. I could tell you which players in the 80s loved steak and their favorite tv show was the A-Team.

This is not an effective vaccine and should not need a “booster”. There’s enough info to make millions of people question how it would negatively impact their health. Been here since 2001, right after graduating. Disappointing attacks on our coach, who is letting these guys make their own decisions. I applaud him.
FDA just gave it the thumbs up, not good enough for Bunker User @homewood though!

Thanks. There was plenty of trepidation in writing this because I knew what the reaction would be but my point all along and I hope I made it clear is that Auburn football is at a competitive disadvantage due to its own inaction, which could be reflected in wins and losses.
So brave....

I do agree with you. This decision could impact our W & L column this year.

I just also find it to be a net positive that Harsin has actual respect for our players, even at the expense of his personal goals.

Why is a big deal? Serious question...what exactly can't Harsin do via Zoom and other methods in 2021 that he couldn't on the field during practice? We act like it's 1920 and telephones don't exist, or the entire country hasn't used Zoom and other conference call methods to communicate.
Considering 40% of our OL starters are missing 10 days due to his view on vaccinations, yes it is a big deal. Harsin's views go past just him being out. It's the entire team sitting at 50%. Derrick Mason is also out. Not having your HC for 10-14 days and DC MIA is a big deal. The fact you can't comprehend this is really astonishing

I'm confused how you can combine Harsin testing positive(with little to no symptoms, which could have happened even if vaccinated)
Because being vaccinated makes the chances of getting infected far less likely in the first place. It's one thing if you do all you can reasonably do and still get infected. It's entirely another thing if don't do all you can do and get infected.

vs the team vaccination rate...and why this is an issue with Akron and Georgia State being the first two games of the season. We could win with the towel bowl coaching both games...what if we don't have an outbreak on the team, what then?
He left open the possibility that maybe we won't have an issue. But Harsin's stance on this, both personally and with regard to the team, leaves Auburn a lot more vulnerable to losing key players during the year or having to forfeit a game altogether. It's a leadership problem. Teams that take shit seriously and expect to compete for it all are getting their players vaccinated. We're playing footsie with anti-vax sentiments and pseudoscience.

Pretty easily, it's all part of him not making it a point of emphasis in his program compared to Auburn's rivals. How many other head coaches are sitting at home during fall camp right now? Also, this is about the entire season, not just the first two games. If AU doesn't have an outbreak during the season, that would be great. But he's put Auburn in the position of having a higher chance of an outbreak compared to its rivals.
So lets get this straight

we’re supposed to be mad at our head coarch because he elevated the principles of personal choice and responsibility for his players above the desires of the fans to POSSIBLY miss a football game?

“my body my choice” only applies to women walking into a “family planning” clinic?

er…I meant “birthing person.”

but not our predominantly minority football players…they need to do what everybody else is telling them to.

liberty is definitely over-rated…because “SCIENCE!”

The only people talking about this are a few Auburn people bitching. Harsin still could contract Covid with the vaccine and still fall under the same protocols. And do we really want a coach dictating to people that they have to inject experimental drugs in their bodies? drugs that are increasingly coming under question for their effects and possibly short duration? Drugs that might cause seriously complications in young men? Does he have liability or does Auburn if there are complications? The drug companies have been given immunity.

He’ll earn a lot more respect trying to do the right thing rather than kowtowing to public opinion.

Last edited:
You don't think theres a single negative aspect to not having our brand new HC trying to build his culture being absent from weeks of practice? He could for sure still get it even if vaxxed, not trying to make any point about that, but don't see how to spin him being gone as no big deal.
Not this late into fall camp, no not really. We've got one week left of camp, and then game week prep...for AKRON. Not much should really change this late into camp, and Harsin and staff can still develop a game plan via Zoom.

Considering 40% of our OL starters are missing 10 days due to his view on vaccinations, yes it is a big deal.
Where in the hell did you come up with that? The only player that's been out for a COVID related issue thus far has been Jarquez Hunter, and he was out due to contact tracing....no confirmation he even tested positive.

Auburn creates its own competitive disadvantage, Bruce Pearl doing his thing and livin’ a teenage dream...

MUSINGS
This garbage really stinks...would be great if the vaccine worked, but it does not, and it causing more imediate effects then you will hear about (you hear what they want you to hear, then you force feed it to eveyone else) I has COVID, I know what cured it...they do to. Also, they do not have a clue it's long term effects of this. Sad...another case that I have seen, just dropped a guy who had vaccine at a homeless shelter who had a strokd 5 hours after the shot....he 33.

Why is a big deal? Serious question...what exactly can't Harsin do via Zoom and other methods in 2021 that he couldn't on the field during practice? We act like it's 1920 and telephones don't exist, or the entire country hasn't used Zoom and other conference call methods to communicate.

So you follow up a dumb take with one 10 times as dumb.

Reactions: snoodaub
Pretty easily, it's all part of him not making it a point of emphasis in his program compared to Auburn's rivals. How many other head coaches are sitting at home during fall camp right now? Also, this is about the entire season, not just the first two games. If AU doesn't have an outbreak during the season, that would be great. But he's put Auburn in the position of having a higher chance of an outbreak compared to its rivals.
If everyone would just put their opinions and feelings aside for a second, they would realize what you are arguing is 100% valid. It doesn't matter what the vaccine efficacy is, it doesn't matter about natural immunity, it doesn't matter about masks and all the other BS we've been arguing here for the last year.

What matters is the guidelines set forth by the NCAA. Following those guidelines and making sure they don't cost you players during the season and in-turn, lose you a game. If there's a breakout in the O-line room and AU can't field 5 guys in that group, they may as well forfeit.

We are at a competitive disadvantage and with the already present talent gap between us and our two rivals, that's a disadvantage we can't afford.

Why? Because he most likely caught COVID while engaging with students on campus(while wearing a mask like he was told to do so by the CDC)? .

Also what if most of our players already have natural immunity and because of that chose not to get vaccinated? This one thing is just beyond absurd at this point. Stop making people victims for catching a virus.
I'm not getting into the vax/no vax thig, but under the rules by the NCAA if the team is less than 80% vaccinated they are tested more....more testing brings in a higher likelihood of testing positive.

again these are just the facts. if the team is more tan 80% vaccinated there is a less likelihood of an "outbreak" because they will have to test less

Sports media:

- players have a right to their own decisions, should be able to profit off their NIL and transfer our whenever. It’s their body!

Also sports media:

- players should be required to get the vaccine. Coaches and others know what’s best for their body.

Pick one, but you can’t have it both ways. Player empowerment can’t refer only to things that agree with your political agenda.

FWIW, I think the vaccine works and ideally Harsin would be pushing it more. Is what it is.

Auburn creates its own competitive disadvantage, Bruce Pearl doing his thing and livin’ a teenage dream...

MUSINGS

AU *may* lose a competitive advantage, or more appropriately, create a competitive disadvantage, because of this policy. There's no denying this...and right now, while all of this remains in the theoretical, we are afforded the luxury of bashing the guy on one side and propping him up for essentially taking a pass on the issue on the other.

Meanwhile, the state of Mississippi (!!) just made it a felony offense to break quarantine when COVID positive, fining offenders $5,000 and up to 5 years in prison.

The angst is still misplaced, somewhat. I can promise you, e.g., that those players are being encouraged to get vaccinated multiple times daily, and gradually we're getting where we want to be. Strong chance we get to that 85% figure (an arbitrary number, but then again so much about all of this is the medical equivalent of plays drawn in the backyard dirt) by gameday.

Most of the positive support will evaporate the minute AU loses a Tank, or a Bo, to COVID protocols, but Coach Harsin has done something kind of rare. He's taken an unpopular stance and hasn't waivered from it.

Will we, the fans, see a lesser product on the field as a result? Time will tell.

Will the players look at Coach Harsin with respect because he left the choice ultimately up to them? 100%.

EDIT: I also think that once the FDA formally approves Pfizer, you'll begin to see college campuses effectively mandate vaccines through restrictions on the unvaccinated, so all of this may be moot.

Last edited:
TBH I'm starting to feel this way too...hate to say it, but the COVID virtue signaling BS, even by writers on this site is starting to turn long term subs away...

... while you are here arguing that it doesn't matter if the head coach is on the field or not for the last two weeks of practice ... that he can just Zoom in.

This is the same coach that the writers here have described as "active" and "animated" on the field.

From Jason Caldwell just now..
I did a little digging over the weekend to find out exactly what the rules are for vaccinated and unvaccinated players on Auburn's teams with less than 85 percent vaccination rate and got more clarity on how things are being handled at the moment. With situation constantly changing regarding pandemic procedures there could be changes in how this works in the future, but right now this is what I have been told.

If a team has less than 85 percent of its roster unvaccinated, those unvaccinated players are subject to testing at least once a week throughout the year and more often than that during their seasons. If you are vaccinated then you don’t have to test unless you have symptoms. That’s true if your team is at the 85 percent rate or below. What the 85 percent number does is lessen the number of tests for athletes in the program who aren’t vaccinated.

This is a significant change in what I was led to believe about the testing procedures. I was of the understanding that a team needs to be at an 85 percent rate to avoid testing, even for those who had been vaccinated. At the moment that’s not the case. With Auburn’s football program continuing to add to its vaccination numbers, according to Athletic Director Allen Greene, that is good news and means the Tigers should be in solid shape when the season gets started on September 4th provided they avoid a larger outbreak within the team.

So maybe this is yet another Auburn beat writer nothing burger?

I'm confused how you can combine Harsin testing positive(with little to no symptoms, which could have happened even if vaccinated) vs the team vaccination rate...and why this is an issue with Akron and Georgia State being the first two games of the season. We could win with the towel bowl coaching both games...what if we don't have an outbreak on the team, what then?

This has already been well established through the years but you really are a complete idiot. You could have an outbreak anytime. Ignoring COVID in light of the well documented impact it has had across college sports already is a complete dereliction of duty.

Reactions: DM8
I did a little digging over the weekend to find out exactly what the rules are for vaccinated and unvaccinated players on Auburn's teams with less than 85 percent vaccination rate and got more clarity on how things are being handled at the moment. With situation constantly changing regarding pandemic procedures there could be changes in how this works in the future, but right now this is what I have been told.

If a team has less than 85 percent of its roster unvaccinated, those unvaccinated players are subject to testing at least once a week throughout the year and more often than that during their seasons. If you are vaccinated then you don’t have to test unless you have symptoms. That’s true if your team is at the 85 percent rate or below. What the 85 percent number does is lessen the number of tests for athletes in the program who aren’t vaccinated.

This is a significant change in what I was led to believe about the testing procedures. I was of the understanding that a team needs to be at an 85 percent rate to avoid testing, even for those who had been vaccinated. At the moment that’s not the case. With Auburn’s football program continuing to add to its vaccination numbers, according to Athletic Director Allen Greene, that is good news and means the Tigers should be in solid shape when the season gets started on September 4th provided they avoid a larger outbreak within the team.

This is how I have understood the rule to work the whole time. That's why the 85% number is so important.

I’m just going to be honest, I don’t pay $100 a year to come here and read Covid articles. I am 100% vaccinated and so is my entire family (including extended family), but I fully support every Americans right to chose. I think everyone should be vaccinated, but it is not my place to judge others stances on this. Harsin is our football coach, not the kids dictator, and I support his stance on letting these young men take it upon themselves to chose what they want to do with their bodies. It is up to the parents to help guide them and Auburn’s administration to educate them so they can make a decision they believe to be best for themselves…not our football coach. Also, Auburn isn’t going to win any type of championship this year with or without vaccinations.

lol so the 85% thing is just a random number they came up with as a Benchmark?

still dont know how positive tests factor into the 85% vaxx rate from Sankey's office. wish we had more journalism and less columns tbh

This is how I have understood the rule to work the whole time. That's why the 85% number is so important.
So what if the unvaccinated players already caught COVID last year, and thus the likelihood of them testing positive again during the season is also reduced? Also that blurb sounded like it's high likely we get to the 85% threshold by Akron...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT