ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Monday musings...

It's doubtful most of the players have natural immunity. Time and again when we do testing of various populations to see if natural immunity is out there that might get us much closer to herd immunity, the numbers never seem to come back showing that to be the case.

Hell, Sweden last year essentially made a bed on getting to herd immunity by allowing peopel to get infected. While the rest of Scandinavia had tight restrictions with masking and social distancing, Sweden did very little in that regard, betting on asymptomatic infections to get them there sooner. After a few months of this while their hospitalizations and deaths were astronomically higher than their neighbors, they did random testing in Stockholm and other municipalities and found that despite their best efforts, the overwhelming percentage of the population there showed no indications of exposure to COVID at the time. The test results showed that only a few percent more of the population showed any antibodies indicating infection beyond the people they'd confirmed as having COVID. This notion that there's been some massive amount of people who've been infected without knowing it just has no evidence to back it up. Some? Sure. A difference making amount? Nope.
What are the odds a player that had COVID last year, like say Dre Butler for instance tests positive again? I'm being serious with this question. It's possible/highly likely that most of the unvaccinated already caught COVID, so they have the antibodies to fight it off if infected again, just like they would with getting the vaccine...for a world class athletes that's 18-22.

The sad thing about this thread ... everyone, while bitching at each other, wants the same thing: Auburn football to be competitive, hopefully dominant.

(they just differ in what it takes to get there)

No, I mean I would guess they don't factor into that 85% number. The vaccine rate decided upon by the NCAA would be a stand alone number, independent of the number of cases among unvaccinated.
the "90 days of no testing" is there by the NCAA because of this

"7. Do I have to get tested before getting the vaccine? No, you do not need a test before receiving the COVID-19 vaccine. You should not sign up to receive the vaccine if you have had COVID-19 within the last 90 days."

so scenario 1:

they are left out of the "85%" equation. less people in the denominator = auburn is closer to "85%"

scenario 2:

they remain in the numerator and if >15% of the team/staff tested positive within the past 90 days we will not be able to reach that benchmark

I've seen some people post CDC changed their guidance on the issue but these guidelines were created with these assumptions by the NCAA. still havent seen details on Sankey's number/rules so theres no point arguing about assumptions anyways cause its just going to go in circles over and over

I disagree wholeheartedly. If we have players convicted enough to not want the shot, who the hell are we to demand it? Over football? I care more about these kids than our record. Screw our record.

I’m a grad and season ticket holder. I grew up going to games. Grew up memorizing the media guide while on the crapper. I could tell you which players in the 80s loved steak and their favorite tv show was the A-Team.

This is not an effective vaccine and should not need a “booster”. There’s enough info to make millions of people question how it would negatively impact their health. Been here since 2001, right after graduating. Disappointing attacks on our coach, who is letting these guys make their own decisions. I applaud him.

This is a “pandemic of the un-vaxxed”, so well stated by doctors on this very board. Plenty of data show the vaccines are extremely effective against Covid and it’s variance so far. That said, everyone should it make it their personal responsibility to get the vaccine because the virus will continue to mutate and the effectiveness could “decline”. Creating a race for new vaccine, and the cycle starts over.

All US citizens have been given several different vaccines, for polo, small poxs, etc. and this is no different. We all should understand nothing is totally without risk, vaccines included, but the positives far out weigh the negatives. Not just for you but the entire country. This isn’t “political” and should never have been, this is a war and we should all do our part.

There is no guarantee, Derek Mason had the jab and has tested positive. Just because you're jabbed it does not mean you will not have an out break.

It’s about testing. Once an unvaccinated player or coach test positive, those that had contact with him will be tested. There is no testing if at 100% unless somebody reports systems. This is what happened to nc state.

What are the odds a player that had COVID last year, like say Dre Butler for instance tests positive again? I'm being serious with this question. It's possible/highly likely that most of the unvaccinated already caught COVID, so they have the antibodies to fight it off if infected again, just like they would with getting the vaccine...for a world class athletes that's 18-22.

Pretty likely. Studies are now coming out that both vaccines and natural immunity have very few if any antibodies left. They are less likely to get it than unvaccinated but they are in close quarters with many unvaccinated people so they would most likely get it without recent infection. That being said, they still have great prutecruin against serious Covid.

The sad thing about this thread ... everyone, while bitching at each other, wants the same thing: Auburn football to be competitive, hopefully dominant.

(they just differ in what it takes to get there)
True, we also differ on bashing/criticizing an individual for catching a HIGHLY contagious virus...that's the issue in my mind. Why can't we just pray for him, wish him a speedy recovery and move on? That's not common anymore with this COVID debate, instead if you catch it you're either an idiot, Trump supporter, or ignorant. This whole thing is just beyond ridiculous now. One more thing to add, we all wanted Harsin to be more involved with the student base, like Bruce...yet when he does that, he then tests positive for COVID, while wearing a mask, and somehow he's a poor leader? Think about how silly that logic is...he went 8 ish months without testing positive, interacts with students...bam, positive. Moral of the story is what?

edit: and again I made the choice to be fully vaccinated, as is my wife who is a nurse.

TBH I'm starting to feel this way too...hate to say it, but the COVID virtue signaling BS, even by writers on this site is starting to turn long term subs away...

I'm at my breaking point as well. Another day or two should do it
This and the fact that people cant use the damn search button for a hundred other threads about the same shit everyday.

So lets get this straight

we’re supposed to be mad at our head coarch because he elevated the principles of personal choice and responsibility for his players above the desires of the fans to POSSIBLY miss a football game?
We hired him to coach our football team and give us the best possible chance to win football games, not his political views on personal choice and vaccines. If his political stances interfere with what he was hired to do, he deserves the criticism.

“my body my choice” only applies to women walking into a “family planning” clinic?

er…I meant “birthing person.”

but not our predominantly minority football players…they need to do what everybody else is telling them to.

liberty is definitely over-rated…because “SCIENCE!”
They are already required to be vaccinated for multiple other things to even enroll in school. I know my daughter had to show proof of all sorts of stuff including measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, HPV, meningitis, chicken pox and others. The only way you get to opt out is if you have a verified medical reason you can't take one of the vaccines (such as an allergy to the ingredients or some other medical condition). Not just "my body my choice." Not to mention, the people who understand that the vaccines are the best available countermeasure against COVID are hardly all or even mostly pro-choice on abortion anyway, so quit with that bullshit.

Stop treating this like some affront to liberty and 'muh freedumb' when it's not.

Agree 100% on BH, but shouldn’t our AD bear at least as much blame? Doesn’t his office set policy for all sports? Seems to be MIA
This I absolutely agree with. Not sure why the every schools AD isn't the most involved in getting all the schools athletes vaxxed and avoiding any potential disasters during the season because of Covid protocols. Really odd to me how it's all on the coach. I get it, to a certain extent, when it's a corch like Saban who runs the school, but especially with a new coach it seems odd.... He's got a hell of a lot of FOOTBALL problems to try to fix, worrying about a virus could've been something handled by his boss IMO.

You're welcome to have blind faith in what's "highly likely" but no country that has done actual random testing to see if a high percentage of the population has gotten COVID previously without realizing it has gotten any data back suggesting that to be the case.

Reactions: First Coast Tiger
True, we also differ on bashing/criticizing an individual for catching a HIGHLY contagious virus...that's the issue in my mind. Why can't we just pray for him, wish him a speedy recovery and move on? That's not common anymore with this COVID debate, instead if you catch it you're either an idiot, Trump supporter, or ignorant. This whole thing is just beyond ridiculous now. One more thing to add, we all wanted Harsin to be more involved with the student base, like Bruce...yet when he does that, he then tests positive for COVID, while wearing a mask, and somehow he's a poor leader? Think about how silly that logic is...he went 8 ish months without testing positive, interacts with students...bam, positive. Moral of the story is what?

edit: and again I made the choice to be fully vaccinated, as is my wife who is a nurse.

Read the article again. Your post has very little to do with what he wrote.

This I absolutely agree with. Not sure why the every schools AD isn't the most involved in getting all the schools athletes vaxxed and avoiding any potential disasters during the season because of Covid protocols. Really odd to me how it's all on the coach. I get it, to a certain extent, when it's a corch like Saban who runs the school, but especially with a new coach it seems odd.... He's got a hell of a lot of FOOTBALL problems to try to fix, worrying about a virus could've been something handled by his boss IMO.

You really want the AD to come in and go against the HC’s wishes? Really?

We hired him to coach our football team and give us the best possible chance to win football games, not his political views on personal choice and vaccines. If his political stances interfere with what he was hired to do, he deserves the criticism.

They are already required to be vaccinated for multiple other things to even enroll in school. I know my daughter had to show proof of all sorts of stuff including measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, HPV, meningitis, chicken pox and others. The only way you get to opt out is if you have a verified medical reason you can't take one of the vaccines (such as an allergy to the ingredients or some other medical condition). Not just "my body my choice." Not to mention, the people who understand that the vaccines are the best available countermeasure against COVID are hardly all or even mostly pro-choice on abortion anyway, so quit with that bullshit.

Stop treating this like some affront to liberty and 'muh freedumb' when it's not.
Ever wonder why seasonal influenza shots werent part of that required regimen?

it absolutely IS an affront to liberty and your dismissal of “muh freedom” is disturbing but not unexpected from someone that doesnt know the difference between actual science and scientific opinion.

Read the article again. Your post has very little to do with what he wrote.
BMatt's article is criticizing Harsin for testing positive for COVID and then conflates that with the current team vaccination rate. His point would be more valid if a significant amount of starters missed practice due to a COVID outbreak within the team, as opposed to just Harsin and maybe Mason.(who apparently was vaccinated anyway).

Thanks. There was plenty of trepidation in writing this because I knew what the reaction would be but my point all along and I hope I made it clear is that Auburn football is at a competitive disadvantage due to its own inaction, which could be reflected in wins and losses.
Good to know that the writers at AuburnSports.com care more about wins and losses than the freedom for people to make their own health choices. Especially when those people are young and healthy, and at zero.zero risk from the virus.

I think expecting a Football coach to be the guy responsible for getting the team vaxed is a lofty expectation.

I understand other coaches shamed and pressured their teams to get it and Harsin could have done the same.

But these are not robots, they are people. This is not an athletic issue but one of a personal nature. I think Harsin's actions are far more respectful of the players themselves than his counterparts. That counts for something.

I will always support the principled individual over someone who beleives the ends justify the means.

Would not be surprised if this attitude helped us in recruiting.

At minimum, it shows that Harsin is different than most and certainly shows he is different than anythiny Auburn has ever had.
Exactly whose responsibility is it then?

Reactions: First Coast Tiger
There is no guarantee, Derek Mason had the jab and has tested positive. Just because you're jabbed it does not mean you will not have an out break.
This is why it may be important to hit the 85% metric on vaccinations. As long as they test, there will be positives, even for some who are vaccinated. That will mean exposures and quarantines for others and likely will result in players missing games. It is unlikely that any players will get seriously ill or die from the virus, so the main consideration here is availability to play. Hitting the metric to lower the amount of testing is the best way to assure that players don't miss games.

One thing I was wondering about is this comment from @BryanMatthews in the article. "Auburn [...] has one of the lowest, if not the lowest, vaccination rates in the SEC." Do we know what our current vaccination rate is? If not, how do we know that we have one of the lowest rates in the SEC? We don't even know if Harsin has been vaccinated and if his infection is a breakthrough case, right?

Look, AU has one of the lowest vax rates in college football and is the lowest in the SEC. The program is facing outright resistance from inside the complex (not talking about Harsin at all) and it’s not getting better.

That’s a fact and the SEC is going to make things harder on AU football this season as a result. That’s also a fact.

I haven’t offered much of an opinion on this because I’m conflicted myself. I don’t personally feel comfortable making a person take a vaccine. I also think the data is clear. Some people think Rush was a terrible band. I can’t help them.

This is why it may be important to hit the 85% metric on vaccinations. As long as they test, there will be positives, even for some who are vaccinated. That will mean exposures and quarantines for others and likely will result in players missing games. It is unlikely that any players will get seriously ill or die from the virus, so the main consideration here is availability to play. Hitting the metric to lower the amount of testing is the best way to assure that players don't miss games.

One thing I was wondering about is this comment from @BryanMatthews in the article. "Auburn [...] has one of the lowest, if not the lowest, vaccination rates in the SEC." Do we know what our current vaccination rate is? If not, how do we know that we have one of the lowest rates in the SEC? We don't even know if Harsin has been vaccinated and if his infection is a breakthrough case, right?
ASSumptions.

Reactions: BobPayne
Look, AU has one of the lowest vax rates in college football and is the lowest in the SEC. The program is facing outright resistance from inside the complex (not talking about Harsin at all) and it’s not getting better.

That’s a fact and the SEC is going to make things harder on AU football this season as a result. That’s also a fact.

I haven’t offered much of an opinion on this because I’m conflicted myself.
This is true, but why is Harsin a poor leader because he caught the virus, while most likely engaging with students on campus, and wearing a mask, as the CDC has asked unvaccinated(or even vaccinated) to do. That's the disconnect in my mind here. One doesn't equate to the other. This column would have made more sense if there was a COVID outbreak on the team AND Harsin also tested positive.

Pretty easily, it's all part of him not making it a point of emphasis in his program compared to Auburn's rivals. How many other head coaches are sitting at home during fall camp right now? Also, this is about the entire season, not just the first two games. If AU doesn't have an outbreak during the season, that would be great. But he's put Auburn in the position of having a higher chance of an outbreak compared to its rivals.
understand your point but am somewhat confused. How do we know if he hasn't emphasized this ordeal? How do we know if he himself hasn't taken every precaution as the other coaches? Do some think that he has persuaded his team to not take the vaccine? All this hand wringing because of what s ome interpret what he's said or hasn't said? Isn't it up to the university itself to make public it's policy on this? What if some of these other coaches mentioned, in the coming weeks come down with the virus and also have to sit out after taking every precaution, same as players on these other teams? So, this is mostly about appearances and percentages?

I would assume that eventually we'll get to the minimum percentage that's been set forth and everything will play out one way or the other.

BMatt's article is criticizing Harsin for testing positive for COVID and then conflates that with the current team vaccination rate. His point would be more valid if a significant amount of starters missed practice due to a COVID outbreak within the team, as opposed to just Harsin and maybe Mason.(who apparently was vaccinated anyway).

He barely mentioned the positive test except on one line early in the article. It was 90% about players missing games during the year due to Harsin doing a poor job of getting his team vaccinated.

Why is a big deal? Serious question...what exactly can't Harsin do via Zoom and other methods in 2021 that he couldn't on the field during practice? We act like it's 1920 and telephones don't exist, or the entire country hasn't used Zoom and other conference call methods to communicate.
Great point! If Harsin doesn’t work out, we can see if Jimmy Johnson will Zoom coach us since he could work from home.

understand your point but am somewhat confused. How do we know if he hasn't emphasized this ordeal? How do we know if he himself hasn't taken every precaution as the other coaches? Do some think that he has persuaded his team to not take the vaccine? All this hand wringing because of what s ome interpret what he's said or hasn't said? Isn't it up to the university itself to make public it's policy on this? What if some of these other coaches mentioned, in the coming weeks come down with the virus and also have to sit out after taking every precaution, same as players on these other teams? So, this is mostly about appearances and percentages?

I would assume that eventually we'll get to the minimum percentage that's been set forth and everything will play out one way or the other.
Because Harsin was mean to the beat writers during media days so they have a vendetta.

This is true, but why is Harsin a poor leader because he caught the virus, while most likely engaging with students on campus, and wearing a mask, as the CDC has asked unvaccinated(or even vaccinated) to do. That's the disconnect in my mind here. One doesn't equate to the other. This column would have made more sense if there was a COVID outbreak on the team AND Harsin also tested positive.
There is an outbreak of sorts in the complex (not sure what the official definition is) and Harsin has tested positive.

Their rate of infection/positive test seems to be similar to the rate for those who have been vaccinated. With delta, that is higher than it was for the previous strains. According to some data, the effectivity for infection with delta offered by vaccination is in the low forties percent. Some other data suggest in the seventies percent. Regardless, having had COVID or having been vaccinated will not completely prevent infection now. The SEC is not giving "credit" for previous infection when it comes to testing. Avoiding the testing is what matters. Almost none of these players are likely to suffer ill effects from COVID itself so the vax vs virus debate for that doesn't matter as much. It's all about avoiding the testing and staying eligible to practice/play.

I haven’t offered much of an opinion on this because I’m conflicted myself. I don’t personally feel comfortable making a person take a vaccine. I also think the data is clear. Some people think Rush was a terrible band. I can’t help them.
Edit.

You answered above.

Pretty easily, it's all part of him not making it a point of emphasis in his program compared to Auburn's rivals. How many other head coaches are sitting at home during fall camp right now? Also, this is about the entire season, not just the first two games. If AU doesn't have an outbreak during the season, that would be great. But he's put Auburn in the position of having a higher chance of an outbreak compared to its rivals.
Does being vaccinated insure that you aren't setting at home right now? * See Derek vaccinated Mason

(side note.. I'm vaccinated myself, just pointing out that what you relating being vaccinated and sitting at home doesn't relate)

So how do we know this? What is our rate? I'm not just being difficult or even skeptical. I just don't understand how this can be stated definitely without a number associated with it. If we know that our rate is so low, then what is our rate?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT