ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Update: Gulf Coast COVID numbers

Yep. It was very difficult trying to stay on top of his situation over the phone too.

We found that many of the nurses weren’t so good, but then we found a good one (similar to your experience) and ran all of our requests through her. It made all of the difference. Then again, we weren’t dealing with a pandemic at the time.

Reactions: OrigAUgirl
I have to LOL at the people that think this thing will go away. It won’t. Ever.

This kind of genie doesn’t go back in the bottle. Even if vaccines that were 100% effective against the current plethora of variants existed, the amount of unvaccinated people worldwide and the mathematical inability and infrastructure to get everyone vaccinated in a window that would conquer current variants while not allowing for further mutation is an unsolvable problem. That’s not even accounting for the billions of animals that serve as virus factories for this thing. Even if we did manage to pull off the impossible and mass vaccinate the world in 24 hours, there are likely millions upon millions of animals with this right now and they will continue infecting each other repeatedly. All it takes is one variant to evade vaccines and then we are literally starting all over.

I fear that people are getting their hopes up for something that is, for all intents and purposes, a practical impossibility. At some point, we will all get a version COVID. Over and over and over again. At some point it will scale the ladder of mortality and overtake things like cancer and heart disease based on the sheer infectivity and variability of disease. If Delta doesn’t get you, Lambda is a threat. If Lambda doesn’t, Gamma is problematic.

The mathematical possibilities are infinite for this disease, and unfortunately we only have finite solutions to an incomprehensible magnitude of possibilities. It is infinite while we are not.

My suggestion would be to get used to the idea that everyone has a better than 50% chance of dying from COVID.

All the virus needs is one shot at you, and sadly it has an unlimited supply of ammo.
It will continue to mutate and thus weaken as more and more get vaccinated. I disagree with your dire predictions that this virus (not a disease) will overtake cancer and other mortal diseases. Again this is a virus not a disease.

Question for the medical people. I had the Pfizer vaccine, but appears the Moderna is much better at handling the delta variant. If if a booster is required, will it be better for the Pfizer vaccinated to get a third shot of Moderna?
I have the same question. @mrhickory and @stevesawbone please answer this if you can. Had my Pfizer shots in March so I'm coming up on 6 months. Tia

Exactly, we never come into contact with them and 67% were infected. Meaning, it travels between species by jumping from one to the other. Meaning we can't hide from mutations. It's impossible.

But we agree vaccines are the best solution. But we disagree on mutations. I don't think they can be stopped and honestly we don't want them to stop. We want it to mutate into a cold. Vaccines are going to keep us alive while the virus mutates.

There are billions of people in the world so I think we play a part. I think most mutations will happen in less vaccinated countries as the US though. I believe delta started in India but not 100% on that. I see us bringing this down to the flu by the end of the school year. Jmo

It will continue to mutate and thus weaken as more and more get vaccinated. I disagree with your dire predictions that this virus (not a disease) will overtake cancer and other mortal diseases. Again this is a virus not a disease.
He also failed to point out that the death percentage is already falling compared to when the virus was first hitting pre-vaccine. Also. Vaccinated people aren’t really dying now luckily.

Okay.

Not to make this political... Florida has a 60% vaccination rate. That is better than average. Arguably the best in the Southeast. Better than NC too.

How is Florida so heavily impacted by Delta than the midwest states or great lakes states?
Vacation travelers. Same reason the AL and MS gulf coast is ravaged right now

This kind of genie doesn’t go back in the bottle. Even if vaccines that were 100% effective against the current plethora of variants existed, the amount of unvaccinated people worldwide and the mathematical inability and infrastructure to get everyone vaccinated in a window that would conquer current variants while not allowing for further mutation is an unsolvable problem. That’s not even accounting for the billions of animals that serve as virus factories for this thing. Even if we did manage to pull off the impossible and mass vaccinate the world in 24 hours, there are likely millions upon millions of animals with this right now and they will continue infecting each other repeatedly. All it takes is one variant to evade vaccines and then we are literally starting all over.

I fear that people are getting their hopes up for something that is, for all intents and purposes, a practical impossibility. At some point, we will all get a version COVID. Over and over and over again. At some point it will scale the ladder of mortality and overtake things like cancer and heart disease based on the sheer infectivity and variability of disease. If Delta doesn’t get you, Lambda is a threat. If Lambda doesn’t, Gamma is problematic.

The mathematical possibilities are infinite for this disease, and unfortunately we only have finite solutions to an incomprehensible magnitude of possibilities. It is infinite while we are not.

My suggestion would be to get used to the idea that everyone has a better than 50% chance of dying from COVID.

All the virus needs is one shot at you, and sadly it has an unlimited supply of ammo.

Uhhhhhh, no. More than likely, we need to get used to the idea that it will be closer to a very bad year of the flu 70,000 to 80,000 die a year. I think it will fall from there.

Reactions: AYounce
let’s look at some posssible good news -

if this continues to rage, maybe we’ll play at Penn State and LSU in front of greatly reduced crowds. May be the only way we win both of those.
Bro that’s not good news!!…some of your fellow Auburn fans have plans to attend that game.

Reactions: aubiedoc
Yep. It was very difficult trying to stay on top of his situation over the phone too.

People think hospitals don’t make mistakes. They do all the time. A few years ago, my mom was going to have surgery to fix an irregular heartbeat. I mean we are in surgery prep. She’s ready to go. Then the head guy looks at her chart. Ask her some questions on her symptoms. She had none. He leaves and comes back. He says you all go have a family lunch. We aren’t operating on you. We were stunned. That being said, most aren’t prescribing ivermectin. The op said only 1 of 30 Dr’s where he’s at (ER doctors?), prescribe it. Big study released yesterday that it does nothing. A bigger study being done now though.

Had covid, I'm vaccinated, I no longer care. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. 8-5 is my projection for this year.

• Angry
Reactions: Sweepthalegs
so just take a shot every year…like the flu shot. I don’t see why it’s that hard.

Agree, but even less people get the yearly flu shot that have taken the covid shot now.

Trying to get everyone vaccinated yearly isn't going to be easy. It's like pulling teeth to get them to take it once.

We passed an unthinkable threshold this morning. Now over 50% of our inpatient beds are now bedded with active COVID patients. 86% of our ICU is now active COVID with 94% of those requiring ventilators. We have pulled doctors from outpatient clinics to come help see those less severe non-Covid patients.

82% of our ER beds are currently inpatient and over 50% of those are COVID as well.

Currently 91% unvaccinated of those admitted with COVID. Only 1 in ICU that has been vaccinated and not on ventilator.

I don’t believe in vaccine mandates and let’s don’t start another thread about that or that people shouldn’t have the right to decide for themselves. This also isn’t a thread about ivermectin or masks. But, we do have many currently hospitalized and in ICU that had been on ivermectin since diagnosis. I don’t care if you take it, just don’t wait too long to get here if you start to decline.

Of note, our governor asked for the USS Comfort/HMS Mercy to make its way here as that our hospitals are the brink of complete collapse.

Just asking for some T’s and P’s for those of us working on the gulf coast and please let it peak soon.

Thanks as always doc. Prayers up for you and all the medical folks trying to handle all this. Thanks so much for everything y’all are doing.

#tidnif
Agreed...

The bigger question the pod cast was discussing I listened to was...

If covid is here to stay and our goal is to have it morph into a mild illness aren't we just delaying that mutation with vaccines.

The panel was split on that answer.

I'm team vaccine because I believe it will keep you alive, while also allowing for the virus mutation.

There is quite a bit that I could say about this, and speculate on a couple of other hypotheticals, but quite some time ago, I decided to just sit on them, because they might be misconstrued and inadvertently hurt the efforts to get to the other side of this thing ASAP.

That is why I'm humbly praying, hoping, (and advocating), that we identify the absolute best solutions to get to the other side of this as quickly as possible, instead of just blindly going with the narrative. We MUST explore all viable considerations to get the objectivity that you must have, in order to craft the BEST solution(s).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jhac
Agree, but even less people get the yearly flu shot that have taken the covid shot now.

Trying to get everyone vaccinated yearly isn't going to be easy. It's like pulling teeth to get them to take it once.

Thank God yearly boosters won’t be needed except for the elderly and those with other immune issues. The best news I’ve heard this entire 18 months was the mRNA vaccines will last for years to protect against severe disease and death.

Covid kills 600K+ Americans in 18 months, and we want to tell everyone what they can or can’t do. Heart disease kills nearly 700K every 12 months and we still asking people to pass the gravy…
I've seen the memes from people who ask why we aren't emphasizing healthy eating habits, exercise, etc. in light of the fact that obesity is such a large risk factor for COVID (and many other conditions). Obviously people should do that. The difference is, 1) heart disease isn't contagious, and 2) in terms of efficacy, we stand a much better chance of getting people to sign up for a shot than we do of getting them to change deeply rooted bad habits.

Maybe we talk about this in another thread. I have no problem with it being here but honesty at this point this is likely a worthy conversation with its own thread.
We have about +/- 10 days till we spike out if we are on the same trajectory as the UK….as Fauci has implied several times. But this virus is a crap shoot so who knows.

Totally a guess but maybe the majority of the breakthroughs are from patients who were vax’d early on. I have no data to back that up and I am in no way involved in the medical field so just throwing it out there for discussion?.

Last edited:
They can’t get the attention that they want there.
You think the op is looking for attention?
You think OP posted it here because he thought no one would read it and comment on it? Every single damn Covid-related thread turns into the same bullshit. No one posts a Covid thread on the Bunker expecting anything other than what this one has devolved into. This was briefly a rule that @Jay G. Tate enforced. I suspect he’s given up over the shear quantity of them…and not even mods can post as much as you.

It is doubtful there is even a slight chance that death rates due to any variant of COVID ever come close to approaching heart disease or cancer. COVID is not going away, but COVID killing large numbers of people is going away. That is how viruses and mutations work. In that sense, it is no different from the flu and other previous viruses. Just like the Spanish flu killed (by some estimates) about 3-5% of the world's population and now the seasonal flu kills something like 0.01% of the world population each year, COVID almost certainly will be similar. Even though it is deadlier and more contagious, COVID is unlikely to be killing more than 0.1% of the world each year a few decades from. That is still a lot of people, but some of the apocalyptic projections of huge numbers of people dying from COVID are not very likely or realistic, especially considering developments in medical technology.

If heart disease had a vaccine, it would be recommended. Also, heart disease doesn’t affect others.
I would argue heart disease has a massive effect on others. Physical passing of a virus/disease isn't the only way to effect others.
"More than 868,000 Americans die of heart disease or stroke every year—that’s one-third of all deaths. These diseases take an economic toll, as well, costing our health care system $214 billion per year and causing $138 billion in lost productivity on the job"

Covid kills 600K+ Americans in 18 months, and we want to tell everyone what they can or can’t do. Heart disease kills nearly 700K every 12 months and we still asking people to pass the gravy…
Great way of looking at it! What’s one other deadly disease gonna matter??? Let’s just say oh well and move on!🤦🏻

It is doubtful there is even a slight chance that death rates due to any variant of COVID ever come close to approaching heart disease or cancer. COVID is not going away, but COVID killing large numbers of people is going away. That is how viruses and mutations work. In that sense, it is no different from the flu and other previous viruses. Just like the Spanish flu killed (by some estimates) about 3-5% of the world's population and now the seasonal flu kills something like 0.01% of the world population each year, COVID almost certainly will be similar. Even though it is deadlier and more contagious, COVID is unlikely to be killing more than 0.1% of the world each year a few decades from. That is still a lot of people, but some of the apocalyptic projections of huge numbers of people dying from COVID are not very likely or realistic, especially considering developments in medical technology.
TBH, I never really considered that future mutations could also make COVID less deadly until reading this thread. Seems like a valid point though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT