ADVERTISEMENT

Great tweet on how the vaccines are performing

J&J took the highest medical standard by far and conducted most of their trials in hard hit South Africa, Central and South America.

Having this one dose vaccine that can be handled at more regular conditions will save more lives overall. Not to mention, J&J has pledged each dose to be less than $10. Moderna and Pfizer are for profit on this one...

Agree.

My daughters live together. One got covid, but at first thought it was just some sinus issues. They were in the same room for several hours and the same house after she developed symptoms. They were together all weekend prior to developing symptoms last Monday. Sick daughter has recovered very nicely, thank God, and the other bugged out to Auburn for a few days and tested negative today (no symptoms, she's just coming to stay with us). It is a strange and mysterious bug indeed.
My parents (who are in their 70s) had the virus last November. They both started coughing and had chest congestion when I was visiting them. Was in the house with them the whole weekend and sat at the dinner table with them every night for at least 30 minutes. I tested negative a few days later after they had tested positive, but at the time of the test I had a temperature over 99 degrees and an elevated heartbeat. I’m pretty convinced I had the virus as well, but I don’t have anything in writing to back that up. Indeed It’s literally impossible to predict what this bug’s going to do.

My parents (who are in their 70s) had the virus last November. They both started coughing and had chest congestion when I was visiting them. Was in the house with them the whole weekend and sat at the dinner table with them every night for at least 30 minutes. I tested negative a few days later after they had tested positive, but at the time of the test I had a temperature over 99 degrees and an elevated heartbeat. I’m pretty convinced I had the virus as well, but I don’t have anything in writing to back that up. Indeed It’s literally impossible to predict what this bug’s going to do.
You could always go give blood at the Red Cross. They’ll perform a free antibody test

Reactions: Callmeabug

Try an antibody test. Less than $20 and results in 10 min.

Matt I know that you’re an attorney and you’re not 65, may I ask how you were able to get the vaccine?

I ask because I am 63, in commercial construction around a large number of people almost daily, I do have a potential underlying heart condition, yet I am told that there is simply no way that I could be pushed up the list.

I find it interesting that some are apparently being moved up.

Attorneys and courtroom personnel were just last week added to the list of people in Alabama who can get vaccinations now. I’m not saying I agree with it, but I also know that the quicker everyone gets vaccinated the better. So I took the opportunity and got it. I don’t think they ran out of vaccinations Friday (they were doing them at the cruise terminal in Mobile), so I didn’t think I was keeping someone who needed it more from getting it.

Why this change was made? No idea. I think there are other groups who need to be added to the list waaaay before lawyers.

That said, I wonder if they gave all the lawyers a “special” vaccine and we will all be dead in a few weeks. If so, well played.

thankful my dad just became eligible in AL...hopefully he can get one. there isn't enough to go around at the moment.
When I go to the ADPH dashboard and see that 772,000 doses of vaccine have been received but only 360,000 have been administered I have a really hard time understanding the "not enough to go around" narrative.

When I go to the ADPH dashboard and see that 772,000 doses of vaccine have been received but only 360,000 have been administered I have a really hard time understanding the "not enough to go around" narrative.

The next group of people will be eligible on feb 8th bringing the number eligible up to around 1.7M people if I'm not mistaken.

Eventually COVID-19 will be an annoyance, rather than the beast it currently is, according to scientists and general history of Coronaviruses. As @JLEAGLE07 said, the sooner we get this thing under control with a vaccine, the quicker we get out of the hole we’re in.
There is a way to get the shot in Alabama through the urgent care chains. Even if you at not meeting The 65 and above age limit. There is a link you can click and sign up to get shot or refresh throughout the day as slots may open. The problem they are having is people sign up and are not showing up. Once they open a container it has to be used in a certain time or it has to be thrown away. I am going to try tomorrow to get mine
Which vaccine are they administering in Alabama?

cases and deaths are dropping dramatically hopefully the vaccines will greatly speed the process
Can i just compliment you for being pro this vaccine. I don’t think you were initially, and taking a step back, looking at the facts and changing your mind is a seriously tough thing to do. Strong work, I admire the independent thought. If you were always for the vaccines then forget all that and just —— good post

Can i just compliment you for being pro this vaccine. I don’t think you were initially, and taking a step back, looking at the facts and changing your mind is a seriously tough thing to do. Strong work, I admire the independent thought. If you were always for the vaccines then forget all that and just —— good post
No I was always for vaccines, I am not a big proponent of masks. At least as worn by non professionals. There is little actual evidence to support the reliance on them . That said it ain't killing me to wear one and if it brings comfort to some , why not. A prominent figure in this pandemic told me while the masks may not be that effective as a preventive they are a great way to remind people to distance and be aware. Back to the vaccine though I would get one right now if they would let me. I also would have just given myself the virus though just to get it over and done with. I am hoping the virus has run its course worldwide , we will know in a few months

This whole thing just sucks for everyone. I was able to get vaccinated this past Thursday and my husband was today. Now we will get to see our grandkids for Christmas in several weeks. One of my son’s best friends is coaching the Super Bowl and in normal circumstances I would be at the game Sunday. I will be so happy when life can get back to some type of normal.

But worst part of all is nothing can bring back the lives lost way too soon to this terrible virus.

Last summer I would have said I would wait for an extended period of time before I would get a vaccination. Was really concerned we were pushing too fast. After having COVID in November and seeing the effectiveness and safety I will get it as soon as I am able. The results have completely changed my mind.

I also work closely with one of the companies producing the vaccine on manufacturing capacity and in my discussions with people that know way more than most about vaccination production, efficacy, etc. I hear not just positives but almost giddiness about the performance of the vaccination.

Does that 772k number account for the fact that everyone needs 2 doses? Do we have enough to vaccinate 772k people with both required doses?

Reactions: j4au_1
This is beyond exciting. My parents are getting their second round of Moderna in the next week, thank goodness. Weight lifted off my shoulders.

There haven't been a ton of issues in the very short period the vaccine has been out, so that's good, but there are other stats out there that show there's been close to 200 deaths of folks who have taken the vaccine. But of course, they are spinning/lying or otherwise downplaying these deaths, and I guess the guys you quoted are saying that none of the deaths are due to the vaccine. Just tell the truth man, (whatever that is). It's also a bit weird that over 95% of the anaphylasis issues have been with women. Just goes to show that there is still SO much that we don't know about the bigger picture of micro-biology and the total impact of such things in the long term.

Let's hope there are no medium on long term issues for those taking the vaccine.

There haven't been a ton of issues in the very short period the vaccine has been out, so that's good, but there are other stats out there that show there's been close to 200 deaths of folks who have taken the vaccine. But of course, they are spinning/lying or otherwise downplaying these deaths, and I guess the guys you quoted are saying that none of the deaths are due to the vaccine. Just tell the truth man, (whatever that is). It's also a bit weird that over 95% of the anaphylasis issues have been with women. Just goes to show that there is still SO much that we don't know about the bigger picture of micro-biology and the total impact of such things in the long term.

Let's hope there are no medium on long term issues for those taking the vaccine.

If you give this vaccine to 20 million+ people, OF COURSE some are going to die. And its not related at all to the vaccine. That's especially true if you give it to a ton of people in a nursing home. The CDC statistics that were released recently look excellent. I can ASSURE you that COVID-19 will kill well over 200 people in the same time frame.

If you give this vaccine to 20 million+ people, OF COURSE some are going to die. And its not related at all to the vaccine. That's especially true if you give it to a ton of people in a nursing home. The CDC statistics that were released recently look excellent. I can ASSURE you that COVID-19 will kill well over 200 people in the same time frame.

Good grief. Do you have any other strawmen, and weak points you can throw out??? I'm not really viping at y'all's spun agenda. I'm just asking for basic truth to be told, (similar to when this thing first hit the U.S. and instead of just saying "We don't have enough masks", they chose to lie and say that masks didn't really do anything).

If you want more folks to take the vaccine, just tell the truth, but don't lie and say that none of the deaths had anything to do with the vaccine, if that's not the absolute truth.

Reactions: 94WDE and yor
Good grief. Do you have any other strawmen, and weak points you can throw out??? I'm not really viping at y'all's spun agenda. I'm just asking for basic truth to be told, (similar to when this thing first hit the U.S. and instead of just saying "We don't have enough masks", they chose to lie and say that masks didn't really do anything).

If you want more folks to take the vaccine, just tell the truth, but don't lie and say that none of the deaths had anything to do with the vaccine, if that's not the absolute truth.
What do you suppose we should do? Toss out an effective vaccine and let COVID continue on a path of ravaging through the world?

What do you suppose we should do? Toss out an effective vaccine and let COVID continue on a path of ravaging through the world?

Have I EVER advocated such massive stupidity???

This partisan type mindset is just ruining America. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing reaction. I simply said that they should tell the truth, and not bake/spin the stats to say NO ONE has died from it. Be honest, give all information, (qualified information), and let people make informed decisions for themselves, instead of trying so hard to manipulate the masses into doing what those behind the agendas want.

Last edited:
Reactions: AU-KY and yor
I've been anti vaccine this whole time. I'm starting to come around to the idea. I fall into the group that's eligible on the 8th. I went to ADPH website and their first available in my county was March 18th. That doesn't seem very efficient if they're already 6 weeks behind. I might go the urgent care route.

My parents are 73 and are both against getting it. Trying to talk them into it. Mom is terrified of C19 and terrified of the vaccine. Tough spot to be in I guess.

Last edited:

This partisan type mindset is just ruining America. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing reaction. I simply said that they should tell the truth, and not bake/spin the stats to say NO ONE has died from it. Be honest, give fully information, (qualified information), and let people make informed decisions for themselves, instead of trying so hard to manipulate the masses into doing what you want.
Who are all the people that that have died from the vaccine? You must have good connections since you have access to all the autopsy reports

This partisan type mindset is just ruining America. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing reaction. I simply said that they should tell the truth, and not bake/spin the stats to say NO ONE has died from it. Be honest, give fully information, (qualified information), and let people make informed decisions for themselves, instead of trying so hard to manipulate the masses into doing what you want.
I understand what you're saying, but do we know someone has died as a direct result of the vaccine? If we don't, is anyone spinning anything?

Reactions: stevesawbone
I've been anti vaccine this whole time. I'm starting to come around to the idea. I fall into the group that's eligible on the 8th. I went to ADPH website and their first available in my county was March 18th. That doesn't seem very efficient if they're already 6 weeks behind. I might go the urgent care route.

My parents are 73 and are both against getting it. Trying to talk them into it. Mom is terrified of C19 and terrified of the vaccine. Tough spot to be in I guess.
You could show them the statistics behind people who have passed from the vaccine and people who have passed from the virus at their age. Not saying you haven't gone this route, but hopefully they'll come around at some point.

So what are they telling people? Do you have to get the vaccine every 4 months, 6 months, year? Seems like the "reinfection" thing is different depending who you ask.
Read a couple of weeks a go they don't know. People had gone 8 months at that time. Said only time would tell.

My mom is a 1a’er and the first available appointment Baptist had was on 2/18 when I called last week.

I understand what you're saying, but do we know someone has died as a direct result of the vaccine? If we don't, is anyone spinning anything?

Quoting you just as an entry point for this discussion.

We do have some statistics from Vaccines that are relevant for discussion: 52 out of a million people died as a direct result of the Smallpox Vaccine....you know what's worse? Smallpox where 30% of people with Variola major died.

When you vaccinate 300 million and have 15k (assuming the worst case Smallpox numbers) deaths sure seems better than 300 million cases and 3 million COVID deaths. I'll take my risk in the form of a shot.

Quoting you just as an entry point for this discussion.

We do have some statistics from Vaccines that are relevant for discussion: 52 out of a million people died as a direct result of the Smallpox Vaccine....you know what's worse? Smallpox where 30% of people with Variola major died.

When you vaccinate 300 million and have 15k (assuming the worst case Smallpox numbers) deaths sure seems better than 300 million cases and 3 million COVID deaths. I'll take my risk in the form of a shot.
110%. Spot on. I just don't understand how someone argues against the vaccine with stats like this.

Some people just won’t get them. My dad hasn’t had a flu shot in years.
The flu isn't even remotely close to COVID as it relates to infection and death. Also, and I think this applies to you, but those saying they have had (or think they have had) COVID before still need to get the vaccine at some point. A mild case of COVID may not have generated enough antibody production to protect you for long. There is literally no data to suggest this is a harmful vaccine. Actually quite the opposite.

Yes. There are reports out there that list around 200. It's extremely low, but I'm just the type that prefer honest dissemination of information so that individuals can make informed decisions for themselves, as opposed to this new wave of fake news, and mass manipulation where authorities withhold information, or spin if they feel their opinion is best for the general public, (such as choosing to lie and say that masks don't do any good early on, and then changing the advice once we got our stocks up etc.).

In addition, no one is mentioning the possibility of medium term and long term complications. Too frequently, we short arm decisions, and rush forward with ostensible data and results, without considering the bigger picture/totality of the situation.

Everyone is being SUPER reactionary in how we are dealing with this thing. Man has faced all kinds of virulent pathogens, and we've NEVER reacted, (over-reacted), like this before. It was smart to quarantine and buy ourselves some time to plan, and not overrun the medical system, but now we're rushing forward with this relatively new technology. Is anyone out with the DNA vaccine yet? Why the massive push for these new technology vaccines, and threats of sweeping policy, closing borders, etc.? What's the ultimate end game and purpose of it all? I, for one, will stop and consider all of this, instead of operating in blind faith. I wonder if most taking it even understand the differences between this new class of vaccine, and old vaccines, or if they just blindly trust the doctors, "science", governments, and those behind the scenes really driving these things.

Last edited:
Reactions: yor
Some people just won’t get them. My dad hasn’t had a flu shot in years.
Never gotten a flu shot it my life, and have never had the flu. Got the Covid vaccine for my parents sake, and for the kids I coach. Fatigue and the weird tingly slight headache have been worst today, two days after the first dose.

Reactions: Docdumpsta
The flu isn't even remotely close to COVID as it relates to infection and death. Also, and I think this applies to you, but those saying they have had (or think they have had) COVID before still need to get the vaccine at some point. A mild case of COVID may not have generated enough antibody production to protect you for long. There is literally no data to suggest this is a harmful vaccine. Actually quite the opposite.

I know. My dad still won’t get it though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT