ADVERTISEMENT

Great tweet on how the vaccines are performing

The numbers are looking great.

I still lost a friend last week who was my age: 48. I don’t understand it.
I just lost a good buddy from our FBI NA class. He was easily the most fit person in our 220 person class and younger than me. I have another friend who's my age (43), and he's hanging on with 10% lung usage right now. I wasn't going to risk it and I just received my second dose last Thursday. Yet my mom, who is a smoker-diabetic-heart issues, refuses to get the vaccine.

So sorry to hear that, Jay. Indeed, the narrative that being under a certain age or free from comorbidity would protect people was false and dangerous from the get-go. Although not friends per se, I was acquainted with 3 people under 50 who succumbed, including one in their 20s.

Mathematical fact is, the longer this damned virus is allowed to percolate and replicate, the more chances there are for ugly mutations. Everyone needs to get the vax when it's their turn and meanwhile act like adults and wear masks in public settings. Hell, I'm as big a needle-hater as you're gonna find, but when I lucked up and got bumped to the front of the line at work, I jumped at the chance, and the first Moderna shot was as close to nothing-to-it as you can get --- lookng forward to the second next week.

Maybe pass forward a prayer for his family, if you would.

Being a NBA fan and living in Atlanta, I remember hearing from Sekou, a lot. Seemed to be beloved by people who knew him personally. Sorry for your loss.

Care to comment on the numbers in Israel? Doesn't seem to matter about the vaccine.

J&J numbers prevention rate was much lower than Pfizer and Moderna by like 30% but it still has a really high rate of preventing serious infection if you do catch it.

Meaning, you might be more likely to catch Covid with J&J, but it's going to be a mild case for most.

Reactions: stevesawbone
This is beyond exciting. My parents are getting their second round of Moderna in the next week, thank goodness. Weight lifted off my shoulders.

So what are they telling people? Do you have to get the vaccine every 4 months, 6 months, year? Seems like the "reinfection" thing is different depending who you ask.

This is a really good tracker site.. updates daily with daily doses admin and such. No surprise Alabama is dead last just about in % of population to have received their first dose.

This is a really good tracker site.. updates daily with daily doses admin and such. No surprise Alabama is dead last just about in % of population to have received their first dose.

Trying to find out info from where and when to get vaccinated is terrible in Alabama. Doesn’t shock me though.

Maybe pass forward a prayer for his family, if you would.

Done. Just found out my HS best friend (Aiea HS in Hawaii) nearly died from this crappy virus back in the spring. We’re both military brats and don’t keep much in touch but that is scary

WDE

Last edited:
So what are they telling people? Do you have to get the vaccine every 4 months, 6 months, year? Seems like the "reinfection" thing is different depending who you ask.
They don't know that answer yet, but one thing is for sure......the longer this stays around (from people not getting the vaccine) the more mutations that are going to occur and eventually there will be a strain that develops where those of us that took the vaccine are not immune to the prevalent strain in the population. Get the vaccine. Its safe. That's very clear from all the data.

Trying to find out info from where and when to get vaccinated is terrible in Alabama. Doesn’t shock me though.

Hey, at least we are ahead of Iowa and the Virgin Islands....

Us and Puerto Rico are in a battle for that 3rd spot though.

Eventually COVID-19 will be an annoyance, rather than the beast it currently is, according to scientists and general history of Coronaviruses. As @JLEAGLE07 said, the sooner we get this thing under control with a vaccine, the quicker we get out of the hole we’re in.

Moderna’s CEO said there’s the potential for the vaccine to be effective for as long as two years.

I got my first dose last Friday. I’ll get my second late February.

Truly random virus. My dad got it at 63 and basically had a bad cold. Now who knows how this affects his lungs in the future but we are blessed that’s all it was so far. Thoughts and prayers to all afflicted by this virus and hopefully we will find a way to knock it out for good or at least deal with it better

Sorry Jay. Attended funeral on Friday for one of my friends. Other family member in hospital with pneumonia right now. Going into second week of battling it. Fingers crossed. Sucks as no one can visit, not for a second. He is so lonely and isolated and you cannot understand a word he speaks when he does answer his phone. I just hope he is eating and staying strong.

Moderna’s CEO said there’s the potential for the vaccine to be effective for as long as two years.

I got my first dose last Friday. I’ll get my second late February.

Matt I know that you’re an attorney and you’re not 65, may I ask how you were able to get the vaccine?

I ask because I am 63, in commercial construction around a large number of people almost daily, I do have a potential underlying heart condition, yet I am told that there is simply no way that I could be pushed up the list.

I find it interesting that some are apparently being moved up.

J&J numbers prevention rate was much lower than Pfizer and Moderna by like 30% but it still has a really high rate of preventing serious infection if you do catch it.

Meaning, you might be more likely to catch Covid with J&J, but it's going to be a mild case for most.
Which makes it different from not vaccing how?

Sorry to hear about your friend. I'm scheduled to get my second shot on the 11th. I was very concerned about getting it, but my wife runs medical practice and she said we should get it. The sooner the people that want it get it the better we will be. IMO

He will be greatly missed, have been working for NBA TV for a while and couldn’t believe it when I heard it. He was a great guy, sorry for your loss Jay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT