ADVERTISEMENT

Great tweet on how the vaccines are performing

There is a way to get the shot in Alabama through the urgent care chains. Even if you at not meeting The 65 and above age limit. There is a link you can click and sign up to get shot or refresh throughout the day as slots may open. The problem they are having is people sign up and are not showing up. Once they open a container it has to be used in a certain time or it has to be thrown away. I am going to try tomorrow to get mine

“won’t” or “less likely to die or get seriously ill”? Because if you don’t take the vaccine and catch it, you have very low chances already, which led to my question
Ok, so you have a low chance of dying if you catch it, assuming you’re under 70 and have perfect bill of health. However, according to the tweet in my OP, people who received the vaccine in the trial, there were zero hospitalizations, zero COVID deaths, and zero vaccine deaths. Now let’s look at that same number of people (roughly 74,000) infected by COVID19 and see how many hospitalizations and deaths we get.

Reactions: Jay G. Tate
Got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. Some mild Covid/flu like symptoms today but nothing major, (I had the virus the week after thanksgiving and headache and lethargy were my only two symptons). I was hell bent against vaccination 3 months ago, but perspective has changed as I've become more informed (just as with all things in life).

My dad got the first round of Moderna a few weeks ago.. tested positive last week. I’m hoping having the first shot has helped him have a mild case

Reactions: GONIG BUCK
They don't know that answer yet, but one thing is for sure......the longer this stays around (from people not getting the vaccine) the more mutations that are going to occur and eventually there will be a strain that develops where those of us that took the vaccine are not immune to the prevalent strain in the population. Get the vaccine. Its safe. That's very clear from all the data.
I’ve read somewhere (can’t specifically remember) that the beauty of mRNA vaccines is that if a new strain emerges that renders the vaccines ineffective, they’re fairly easy to tweak for the new strain.

Is there any data on how effective these vaccines are on the new mutations that have emerged?

I’ve read somewhere (can’t specifically remember) that the beauty of mRNA vaccines is that if a new strain emerges that renders the vaccines ineffective, they’re fairly easy to tweak for the new strain.
very easy to tweak those vaccines but the issue is then getting them into arms in a timely manner.

There is a way to get the shot in Alabama through the urgent care chains. Even if you at not meeting The 65 and above age limit. There is a link you can click and sign up to get shot or refresh throughout the day as slots may open. The problem they are having is people sign up and are not showing up. Once they open a container it has to be used in a certain time or it has to be thrown away. I am going to try tomorrow to get mine
My wife is 1B (teacher), but she was vaccinated yesterday through this method. It works.

Which makes it different from not vaccing how?

First it's 66% effective in preventing Covid.

So right off the bat it's 66% better than 0%.

Next, I forget the exact number but it was like 85% at keeping covid, if you did catch it, in a mild form. Basically, it you happen to be in the 34% that catch Covid, it keeps it in check.

First it's 66% effective in preventing Covid.

So right off the bat it's 66% better than 0%.

Next, I forget the exact number but it was like 85% at keeping covid, if you did catch it, in a mild form. Basically, it you happen to be in the 34% that catch Covid, it keeps it in check.
Edit (the following post is sarcasm please react accordingly):

Ok that is all fair, but aside from the mathematical evidence what proof you got that doing nothing isn't better?

Last edited:
Ok that is all fair, but aside from the mathematical evidence what proof you got that doing nothing isn't better?

Because
I still lost a friend last week who was my age: 48. I don’t understand it.
I just lost a good buddy from our FBI NA class. He was easily the most fit person in our 220 person class and younger than me. I have another friend who's my age (43), and he's hanging on with 10% lung usage right now.
The first known UK strain patient in Alabama is 35 and currently in UAB on life support in multi system organ failure. Shit is scary.

The numbers are looking great.

it’s all viral load related. Of course underlying conditions can impact severely. But much is viral load which makes it largely by chance. Sux. So sorry for your loss.

I'm no science doctor but this is big news. The vaccine teaches your body to take out the spikes, which you aren't used to seeing. So this seems to suggest even if you get infected, what your body learned is enough to keep you from getting too sick.

And where can I find this link referenced above?

Just so we’re clear here, you asked if going by statistical fact is better than doing nothing?

f29.png

• Wow
Reactions: DLucky
well what is the website addy?

Reactions: aujman23
The numbers are looking great.

i don’t understand it either...... My niece is a nurse in the C19 unit at her hospital. She contracted the virus. Yet, her husband and their 2 children never even got a sniffle......

My 96 year old Dad died 10 days ago from C19 complications. His symptoms were that of a common cold - he never ran a fever, never lost his sense of smell or taste......

Its crazy !

i don’t understand it either...... My niece is a nurse in the C19 unit at her hospital. She contracted the virus. Yet, her husband and their 2 children never even got a sniffle......

My 96 year old Dad died 10 days ago from C19 complications. His symptoms were that of a common cold - he never ran a fever, never lost his sense of smell or taste......

Its crazy !
I’m sorry for your loss!

My daughters live together. One got covid, but at first thought it was just some sinus issues. They were in the same room for several hours and the same house after she developed symptoms. They were together all weekend prior to developing symptoms last Monday. Sick daughter has recovered very nicely, thank God, and the other bugged out to Auburn for a few days and tested negative today (no symptoms, she's just coming to stay with us). It is a strange and mysterious bug indeed.

Reactions: JacksonAU

Its crazy !
So sorry to heer about your dad.

Reactions: aubjapan01
This is great news!

J&J numbers prevention rate was much lower than Pfizer and Moderna by like 30% but it still has a really high rate of preventing serious infection if you do catch it.

Meaning, you might be more likely to catch Covid with J&J, but it's going to be a mild case for most.

J&J took the highest medical standard by far and conducted most of their trials in hard hit South Africa, Central and South America.

Having this one dose vaccine that can be handled at more regular conditions will save more lives overall. Not to mention, J&J has pledged each dose to be less than $10. Moderna and Pfizer are for profit on this one...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT