ADVERTISEMENT

I just thanked a cop

The two are nothing alike. You are way off here.

you don't even understand the comparison then.

both professions have little room for error thus are most certainly similar...obviously performing surgery is not like arresting someone.

don't let him continue to deflect from the broader question you asked him...he is changing the subject on you per his usual modus operandi
I presented the evidence from the body cam footage..which is what he asked. Do you not see that the DA's decision is exactly why APD last night just walked off the job? IF this guy didn't follow protocol, the reaction would be WAY different by the entire APD force..that's a pretty big indicator this whole thing is a political farce.

It’s like you’re talking and people refuse to listen. You have some insight here, too. Dammit.
I'm not trying to be right. But I've just heard so many stories of innocent people dying when cops will get in high speed chases over running a stop sign, or something that didn't require a chase. This guy was clearly running away. I don't think he was going to go assault other people.

Reactions: Jay G. Tate
Man I'm fired up. I'm sick of this crap. "Be perfect at all times or your life as you know it is over"....what kind of crap is that?

I'm going to thank every cop I see. There should be a National Thank a cop campaign
A couple of months ago I had a Preliminary Hearing in Mobile on a criminal case. I cross examined the investigating officer. The hearing was concluded, case bound over to the grand jury, and I left the courtroom.
As I was getting in my car, a car pulled up and stopped. The window rolled down and it was the officer I crossed just earlier before. He said, "Hey, thanks for not raking me over the coals." I responded, "Oh, no. You did fine. I believe in being professional in the courtroom. I do my thing and you do yours. No need for a dog and pony show." He gave me a thumbs and we waived to one another and he drove off.
There is a proper way to handle things. He and I did that on that morning. Everybody has their job to do. I don't think there's enough money to pay me to be a cop. I've met a few cops over the years that had an attitude, I've caught some in some lies, but by far the majority seem to be good guys in a really tough job.
I've seen lawyers who seemed only interested in being a smartass as they put on their dog and pony show in the courtroom. I don't like it, but that's just me. The ones who are prepared, conduct themselves properly and show courtesy are the ones who get noticed and respected.
All you can control is yourself. You can't control the other guy. If everybody handles that job correctly, a lot can be accomplished with no one getting hurt.

The two jobs are not even remotely alike and the comparison was weak.

If this is the only qualification you have then sure, all jobs are alike.

can you explain why it's upsetting to you that he said that? i'm seriously interested, not being a dick

So you’ve already got your deflection ready before the video is even shown to you. That’s peak Rice.
You're trying to take a still shot out of context when it doesn't match up with the body cam footage I posted ITT..good grief. This thread is nothing but predictable...guilty until proven innocent, truth over facts. Actually do research before you attempt to discredit me here. Again WHY did all of APD walk off the force last night if the DA's charge was justifiable?

Why were they kicking him as he bled out?

Also, walking off the job makes the “defund the police” people happy. Giving them exactly what they want.

The flag wavers ITT don't realize that the BlueFlu is just playing into the hands of people that want to cut their funding.

It's because it shows that they're not in it for the right reasons. And it shows that we need to recruit, train, and fund cops that are.

I would fire any cop that walked off the job last night. Because their actions prove that they care more about the Blue Code and some irrational measure of 'support' than they do serving and protecting. Some cop in APD in Zone 6 who probably has never met or knows these two cops in particular have zero reason to walk out if they just continue to do their jobs the right way.

Do your job: support

Kill people, cover for your corrupt brothers, act rude and belligerent over a fifty cent tail light being out : no support

You're trying to take a still shot out of context when it doesn't match up with the body cam footage I posted ITT..good grief. This thread is nothing but predictable...guilty until proven innocent, truth over facts. Actually do research before you attempt to discredit me here. Again WHY did all of APD walk off the force last night if the DA's charge was justifiable?
That body cam video conveniently picks up when they started first aid. It left out where he put on rubber gloves to pick up the bullet casings before administering first aid.

I'm not trying to be right. But I've just heard so many stories of innocent people dying when cops will get in high speed chases over running a stop sign, or something that didn't require a chase. This guy was clearly running away. I don't think he was going to go assault other people.
I ain't know if anybody iz RITE or WRONG on dis wun yet.
Guy shure koooda helped himself if he wooda juzt dun the rite thang doe.

You're trying to take a still shot out of context when it doesn't match up with the body cam footage I posted ITT..good grief. This thread is nothing but predictable...guilty until proven innocent, truth over facts.
Do you not realize that you’re doing the exact same thing — just in the opposite direction?

I happen to believe that the officer in question should not be going to jail for murder. It was a tense situation and it was a judgment call. I wish he’d have shot the perpetrator in the leg instead.

However, your insistence that the guy is perfectly innocent and anyone who thinks otherwise is a buffoon, man, it’s kinda sad.

Do you not realize that you’re doing the exact same thing — just in the opposite direction?

I happen to believe that the officer in question should not be going to jail for murder. It was a tense situation and it was a judgment call. I wish he’d have shot the perpetrator in the leg instead.

However, your insistence that the guy is perfectly innocent and anyone who thinks otherwise is a buffoon, man, it’s kinda sad.
I agree that I don't think he should be convicted of murder, and most definitely will not be. But rule #1 is if you shoot, you shoot to kill.

A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to defend himself or herself or a third person against such other's imminent use of unlawful force; however, except as provided in Code Section 16-3-23 , a person is justified in using force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

He's innocent based on Georgia law for use of deadly force, yes.

You wood thank ERRRY POLICE CHIEF frum KEY WEZT to CALIFORNYA wood assemble thare work force ERRRY MORNING and juzt BEG-----"FOE GAWDZ SAKES GUYS, SHOOT THE SUMBITCHES IN THE KNEE!!!!!!!!!!!"
"I meeeeeeen PERTY PLEEEEEEEEZE!!!!!!"

Reactions: ricedp105

I agree with you, but you do realize that’s not how cops are trained to shoot, correct? Shooting someone in the leg would be incredibly difficult. I raise this point because I’ve seen it articulated several times in various places by smart people. My source is an LEO in my family, fwiw.

Reactions: ricedp105
A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to defend himself or herself or a third person against such other's imminent use of unlawful force; however, except as provided in Code Section 16-3-23 , a person is justified in using force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

He's innocent based on Georgia law for use of deadly force, yes.
You really think he was running away from the cops just to actually harm them?

I agree with you, but you do realize that’s not how cops are trained to shoot, correct? Shooting someone in the leg would be incredibly difficult. I raise this point because I’ve seen it articulated several times in various places by smart people. My source is an LEO in my family, fwiw.
Exactly this, they are trained to shoot center mass..Brooks turned sideways and fired the taser which meant his back was the biggest surface area exposed to stop the threat.

You really think he was running away from the cops just to actually harm them?
I mean he fired the taser at them..so yes, that is ground to discharge a firearm under Georgia law. Also another thing a taser in the hands of an officer that is trained to use it could be argued that it isn't deadly force because they're trained, but a taser in the hands of an individual with no training is considered a deadly weapon. Moral of the story here, don't drive drunk get the cops called on you, don't resist arrest, don't assault two officers, steal their taser and then fire said taser back at them and you have about a 99.9% chance of living. Brooks made all of those decisions that put the officer and the rest of the community at risk.

Not upset. 26 years of experience. The job of a police officer and a surgeon are not even in the same universe of comparison.

Can you explain why you feel you have to defend his statement? I’m sure Mr. Tate appreciates the help, but he’s a big boy.

i just didn't think it was a big deal...he wasn't saying anything negative about either position just threw out an example of another profession where error can lead to death.

not sure if you are 26 years a cop or a surgeon but either way thanks for what you provide to society

I'm all for non-lethal weapons. Not sure why we don't have some sort of tranq guns readily available. The cops in London don't even carry guns, and the crime rate there is significantly less than NYC.
I thank we'll see a HUGE chainj shortly. It mite take Los Angeles or Atlanta burning to the ground firzt but we'll see a chainj in weaponz foe COPS.

Reactions: AUgncEngineer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT