ADVERTISEMENT

I feel as a Black Male in America

try to imagine yourself as a black man being pulled over by the police and being TERRIFIED that you are going to be killed, even if you comply.

That is a real fear. A legitimate fear for millions of Americans. Try to understand that.

That is not a rational fear to have. Black people that commit violent crime are killed by police at the same rate as white people that commit violent crime.

The statistics just don’t support this belief that the black community has, that every time they get pulled over by police their lives are in danger.

Is it really? I just don't get it. The answer from my end is no. I guess I'm very fortunate where I live. I don't see all of this racial divide. The place I was having drinks after work yesterday was 50/50 white/black. ZERO problems and we were all talking to each other.

Where do you live? Its just a discussion. You will never get over the issues if you don't talk about them. This is just a civil conversation. No baiting, name calling, or being disrespectful. These are honest questions

OP I saw this on Facebook last night. Typically, I’m skeptical when it comes from social media, but it was intriguing enough for me to want to flesh out what this lady wrote in her twitter thread. To me, her assertion is the powers in this country did in fact want to create fear of the black community to keep them oppressed and her research seems to indicate it worked.

Again, I’ve not checked the accuracy of this information, but IMO it’s worth looking into to learn more about because it seems to speak directly to your point in your OP.

I could only really read one tweet and noticed Hoover was mentioned. Hoover was an absolutely awful lawman. One could argue he let one of his boy toys control Boston and allow Irish gangsters to murder with impunity which destroyed countless families. Oh, and then there were the native Americans being murdered where he was late to the party. The list goes on.

I've never understood why people say this. Of course you notice another person's race just like you notice if they're short or tall or have one eye or a limp. It's okay to notice physical features about other people. Just don't be racist and you're in the clear. No need to claim colorblindness.

they do it to sound woke. Most likely he post a pic of a black square yesterday to stand with this black friends.

To an extent I would agree, I have never had a fear of black however as a kid I grew up with our closest neighbor a half mile away being a black family, Eddie and I have remained friends for over 50 years, he lives in DC now as has for 30 years, when he and his wife return to Alabama for any reason they spend a weekend with us at my home in Georgia. Our kids grew up together and are friends, we have never seen each other as black or white.

Last edited:
Not scared but yet suspicious. Blacks are 13% of the population and commit OVER 50% of violent crimes. Until black people stop committing so much crime then these feelings will not go away. If the crime stops then the healing starts
Do you think black people commit all those crimes because they're black? Could it be something else? Maybe it's a good subject to have a conversation about.

Dead ... over $20?

That’s just not reasonable IMO
To the murderer, Chauvin, it was not the crime I think it was the hatred. He was not there at the original stop and he is the one who pulls him out of the car and throws him down. That cop was going to murder someone because he was full of disdain and hate. The 20$ was not the problem to him it was he had to come to help out. I think the younger officers were cowards and let the bully take over. My only thought is this guy had done this a bunch and if he had been off the force the younger guys might have taken more time but Floyd would be alive today.

That is not a rational fear to have. Black people that commit violent crime are killed by police at the same rate as white people that commit violent crime.

The statistics just don’t support this belief that the black community has, that every time they get pulled over by police their lives are in danger.

You're fortunate to feel that way. The black community feels very differently. I'm not asking you to change the way you feel about being pulled over and having your life threatened, I'm asking you to understand that there are some human beings who are absolutely terrified of police interaction because of the color of their skin. Shit is f*cked up.

Where do you live? Its just a discussion. You will never get over the issues if you don't talk about them. This is just a civil conversation. No baiting, name calling, or being disrespectful. These are honest questions
Daphne Alabama but I'm all over Baldwin County and Mobile during the week.

Not scared but yet suspicious. Blacks are 13% of the population and commit OVER 50% of violent crimes. Until black people stop committing so much crime then these feelings will not go away. If the crime stops then the healing starts
From a law enforcement stance, this is very true. Police Departments know where their high crime areas are and statistically it's in the black communities, this isn't JUST a cop issue, it's a crime rate issue as well.

That's whites are naturally scared of blacks. Not all white people, but the majority are. This is a problem in America. I would like the thoughts of the bunker on this subject.
I don’t agree with being scared of blacks in general. I think the issue is we as whites know a lot of blacks hate us, and I don’t think that’s fair, but we all tend to get labeled racist because we are white and that is so far from the truth. Just as all police are getting a bad rap I think a lot of whites do too. I do not care what color anyone is and I have plenty of friends now and when I was at Auburn of all races. But feeling like a group hates you for no reason does make you a little scared in certain situations and in certain groups or areas.

But the problem is... that's not always true. And I know a LOT of people disagree with that statement. But the fact is there are way too many examples of black people being treated unjustly by police. I know a lot of white folks roll their eyes but seriously try to imagine yourself as a black man being pulled over by the police and being TERRIFIED that you are going to be killed, even if you comply.

That is a real fear. A legitimate fear for millions of Americans. Try to understand that.

Agree 100 percent and the this instance was going well until getting in the car. It was not horrible with him laying in the car and nothing was bad then from either side. Problem was our murderer was still on call and when he got there he was going to show the young guys how to abuse a citizen. Thing is if Floyd had this officer show up first I think he still would have been dead even if he almost ran and jumped in the car. Thing is I do not think it is a race thing it is your background that cause the fear. My neighbor loves the police more than I do because they saved his son from the drug gangs. So he is not terrified when the police come through the neighborhood.

Reactions: ricedp105
You're fortunate to feel that way. The black community feels very differently. I'm not asking you to change the way you feel about being pulled over and having your life threatened, I'm asking you to understand that there are some human beings who are absolutely terrified of police interaction because of the color of their skin. Shit is f*cked up.
In fairness, Brent probably lives in one of the most racist cities in the South, Montgomery...where a good majority of the crime is from the black community. That's where the "stereotype" comes into play, statistics. So the less black people that commit crimes, the less officers that show up to a scene will believe each black person they encounter is a criminal..it's a double edged sword.

I don’t agree with being scared of blacks in general. I think the issue is we as whites know a lot of blacks hate us, and I don’t think that’s fair, but we all tend to get labeled racist because we are white and that is so far from the truth. Just as all police are getting a bad rap I think a lot of whites do too. I do not care what color anyone is and I have plenty of friends now and when I was at Auburn of all races. But feeling like a group hates you for no reason does make you a little scared in certain situations and in certain groups or areas.

This is a great post man. I can say as a black male, I do not hate the white race at all. I will say I don't trust the white race 100%. Also they way you feel about blacks, is probably the same way blacks are feeling about whites. We feel as if we are hated also. So many similarities.

I could only really read one tweet and noticed Hoover was mentioned. Hoover was an absolutely awful lawman. One could argue he let one of his boy toys control Boston and allow Irish gangsters to murder with impunity which destroyed countless families. Oh, and then there were the native Americans being murdered where he was late to the party. The list goes on.

Yeah, the thread revolves around Hoover's secret COINTELPRO program and their murder of Black Panther leader Fred Hampton and how that program was used to spread information or disinformation about progressive activist movements with particular emphasis on Black Civil Rights groups. IMO it's worth the read and worth doing research on it.

For me it depends on dress and behavior. Color does not matter.
If I am more alarmed around someone with their pants at their knees and tattoos on their faces, does that make me a bad person?

I grew up in Montgomery and played on many all black basketball teams and would go every week to the downtown YMCA to hoop with those guys. Since growing up in this I have never been fearful or intimidated because I treated black men the same as I would someone who was white. That garnered respect on both sides and no one viewed each other one way or another because of skin color. Sure, I would be called names at first and be profiled against because of this but once I held a conversation or just gave them a high five the wall was torn down and we could be human beings.

Because of this I never viewed the other race as someone different and maybe I am lucky because of that. I always understood where they came from, there situation, how talk to hold a conversation, and what not to say. I think where people become fearful is when they aren't around it much and they don't know how to engage in conversation and they just get a negative connotation because they see "gang violence" on the news or someone with "there pants below there waist they may have a gun". That image is garnered from the media and possibly from past experiences but should not be cast upon everyone of color. Just some personal thoughts and experiences I have had.

Reactions: S.Lee and ricedp105
This is a great post man. I can say as a black male, I do not hate the white race at all. I will say I don't trust the white race 100%. Also they way you feel about blacks, is probably the same way blacks are feeling about whites. We feel as if we are hated also. So many similarities.
And I agree there are a lot of people that hate the other race. The problem is the ones of us on both sides that have nothing to do with all that will get caught up in it. I’ve seen reports of these people in the streets letting black people in cars go past and then stopping the whites people and bashing their car in and endangering their lives. That’s not fair to the good ones. I am all for black lives matter and don’t care for these people wanting to scream all loves matter, we aren’t talking about all lives right now. But will I be attacked and targeted just because I’m white and nobody knows my opinion? I hope not.

I've never understood why people say this. Of course you notice another person's race just like you notice if they're short or tall or have one eye or a limp. It's okay to notice physical features about other people. Just don't be racist and you're in the clear. No need to claim colorblindness.
I have to deal with all of our special needs kids in the school. It is hard not to notice physical appearance but you can do it. I can talk about one of my kids that is a welder now and tell you how hard he had to work. I can focus on his terrible struggle to master the skills to do that and how proud I am of him being able to help my other students with their math skills. Do I need to start the conversation that he was a Dwarf who could barely walk because of his malformed feet. Yes I can but if I do that I diminish him as a person where his dwarfism becomes the focus of attention and not his accomplishments. Only time I will bring it up is if I have another who has handicaps that he overcome.

I know everybody notices hair color but do you ever start a conversation about a friend with their hair color unless you are pointing them out in a crowd. You say what they do and why they are your friend not he is my friend Bill who has brown hair.

And I agree there are a lot of people that hate the other race. The problem is the ones of us on both sides that have nothing to do with all that will get caught up in it. I’ve seen reports of these people in the streets letting black people in cars go past and then stopping the whites people and bashing their car in and endangering their lives. That’s not fair to the good ones. I am all for black lives matter and don’t care for these people wanting to scream all loves matter, we aren’t talking about all lives right now. But will I be attacked and targeted just because I’m white and nobody knows my opinion? I hope not.

You absolutely should not bet. That's not fair to a lot of folks with kind hearts and a desire to help all others.

However, try to put yourself in the shoes of a black person who feels like the entire system is built upon not giving them a fair chance. They aren't given the benefit of the doubt in so many cases. How you feel about being attacked and targeted in a situation like this is how they've been made to feel their entire lives about many of the social systems in place.

I know they FEEL that way, but the facts don’t support the way they feel.

Yeah, the thread revolves around Hoover's secret COINTELPRO program and their murder of Black Panther leader Fred Hampton and how that program was used to spread information or disinformation about progressive activist movements with particular emphasis on Black Civil Rights groups. IMO it's worth the read and worth doing research on it.
I want to read more about Hoover because there’s so much he did that was so very wrong. Like no benefit of the doubt wrong. That had to have done some good things to at least attempt to balance it that out.

Reactions: DufnerFanBoy

I think it's worth pointing out that, while you feel the hate is for no reason, many in the black community feel there is plenty of reason. To many, the entire network of how we function in this country give the white person a leg up, a head start, on almost any black person born in this country. I think this quote sums it up well for me. I don’t know that it will change any minds or opinions, but maybe it will help some reflect on and think about it. I know it has for me.

img_20200602_114203_465.jpg

Last edited:
You absolutely should not bet. That's not fair to a lot of folks with kind hearts and a desire to help all others.

However, try to put yourself in the shoes of a black person who feels like the entire system is built upon not giving them a fair chance. They aren't given the benefit of the doubt in so many cases. How you feel about being attacked and targeted in a situation like this is how they've been made to feel their entire lives about many of the social systems in place.
I could not and will not even try to put myself in their shoes, not even fair for me to think I could. I do support Black Lives Matter and I am here for any of my friends. I was not comparing the two sides I was just responding to a post on being scared and why for me. That’s what the OP is about.

Reactions: AgainstTheSpread
This seems rather racist....but for me personally, I'm not scared of any race, I'm scared of thugs(white, black, red, yellow) that defy authority and do things for their own selfishness. If you act like an adult around me you'll be treated as such...
This exactly! A lot of people have become so selfish and entitled. Some people feel that they don't have to not only abide by certain rules/laws but what should be just common decency for fellow people. I am not scared of any race either but completely 100% cannot stand inconsiderate assholes and unfortunately that number grows by the day. Its refreshing to meet someone who still holds good family and morale values in their lives and don't wake up every morning ready to watch the world burn.

That's whites are naturally scared of blacks. Not all white people, but the majority are. This is a problem in America. I would like the thoughts of the bunker on this subject.
I think @AgainstTheSpread had a great reply ITT and I will say, in addition to cultures clashing, it’s also how someone chooses to carry themselves.

If you are well dressed, smile politely and don’t have face tattoos, I’m much less likely to be on edge in your presence.

But, if I walk past someone with their pants sagged around their ass, a hoodie up over their head, hands in their pockets and tattoos on their face, would it not be irresponsible of me not to be aware of my surroundings and be cautious of someone who looks more like trouble? Does your answer to that change if I am walking with my 7 year old daughter?

Notice, I didn’t mention race, because it’s not a race issue. The “scary” person I described could be white, black, brown or purple and it doesn’t change anything.

However, back to @AgainstTheSpread’s post, cultural differences may lead more black people to appear as scary, even if they are not.

I say all of this with a ton of respect for you asking this question and wanting to have the conversation. I agree with @Jay G. Tate that this is a conversation worth having.

I think it's worth pointing out that, while you feel the hate for no reason, many in the black community feel there is plenty of reason. To many, the entire network of how we function in this country give the white person a leg up, a head start, on almost any black person born in this country. I think this quote sums it up well for me. I don’t know that it will change any minds or opinions, but maybe it will help some reflect on and think about it. I know it has for me.

I agree with the quote but I don’t think it’s fair to lump all whites or all blacks or all Hispanics Into any one category. I know they feel they have a reason to hate, but I also know I don’t feel I have done anything for them to hate me. And that was my point.

I don’t think whites are naturally scared of blacks. I’m not sure why you get that impression. I do sense hostility from Southern blacks when I come down South.

Again, I'm not going to pretend to answer this question from a black perspective but I guess this is what I always relate this topic to when I'm speaking with my friends when they tell me about the lessons they teach their black children on how to conduct themselves with police. I get it because I have three daughters and I teach them how to conduct themselves to try to avoid dangerous situations and keep from getting raped.

My daughters have about 3 in 1000 chance of being raped or sexually assaulted but it is still something we talk to them about to try to help them avoid becoming one of the three. Never walking alone, being aware of surroundings, not getting drunk at parties, knowing who you're with and who is there to help you at all times, how to defend themselves, hell I even tell them if they're being pulled over by the police to follow the rules of the road but to drive until they find a well lit public place where they feel safe to pull over. Just because the chances are small, it's still a legit fear and they have to be taught to protect themselves. Both cases are really unfortunate but until people stop raping women and cops stop killing black/white/brown men in situations like the Floyd case, that fear is going to exist and be protected against.

Reactions: AgainstTheSpread
I think it's worth pointing out that, while you feel the hate for no reason, many in the black community feel there is plenty of reason. To many, the entire network of how we function in this country give the white person a leg up, a head start, on almost any black person born in this country. I think this quote sums it up well for me. I don’t know that it will change any minds or opinions, but maybe it will help some reflect on and think about it. I know it has for me.

That’s a rather naive and shallow take.

There are significant advantages to being born to wealthy parents regardless of race. There are significant advantages to being born Mormon or Jewish. You’re going to have a hard time if you’re born both to poor parents AND in a poor area. It won’t be much easier with middle class parents in a poor area. The list goes on......

There isn’t an advantage to being born generic white. This pretty much went away when everybody remotely white was included as being white. (I think this ended with Italians.) You have to go down a level to determine if a white person has an advantage or not like those mentioned above.

With the amount of money poured into various foundations, it’s not exactly the worst time ever to be black. You just have to learn how to play the game. If you can at least appear to be able to do so, you have a helluva advantage. Not Mormon or Jewish level, but close. Actually, it may be above Mormon or Jewish level.....hmmmm.......

I would say the same that created the fear of whites for blacks.

And I agree with you. None of this gets better until all, or even enough of us, look inward at our preconceived, preconditioned, learned biases and grow past them. When we can see the evil that was down to George Floyd as just that... and evil man doing evil to another man.

It’s very difficult in the current environment.. Everyone has an angle and agenda and they are selling it to you as fast as they can get it to a camera and the internet. When we the racism end? When it stops being profitable to manipulate people by fueling their ignorance, biases, and outrage.

In no way am I saying that the world is just ... deal with it... The world decidedly unjust and I am unaware of a practical solution other than one I started with.

Why would you trust anyone 100%? I trust about 10 people in the world 100%, there are another 100 I generally trust for the most part and everyone else is in the needs to be verified category and will likely act in their own self interest in most situations so be prepared for that.

The issue is how do I decide to treat people in general and take race and bias out of the picture as much as possible and make that decision based on merit and interactions. I feel like you're perpetuating some biases running both ways if you're generalizing like that in your life and how you view and treat people around you.

Reactions: KILLAKONG
I hate that you feel threatened by police. I hate the fact that people have general fears or likes based on race. Hell you have bad apples in your family that you can't stand. I get very depressed that we let our leaders hide from real problems by using media perception to agitate people against each other. Think of how many times you see the Floyd tape and you wonder why they have fear. Show someone who is nervous about a flight a thousand plane wreck footage, even if they are all the same wreck, and you would be a Superman to not be nervous.

The media and leaders are separating us by race again and we need to pull that out and start focusing on individual encounters. The fact that no one who individually knew this cop took action is troubling to me. The fact that the man who killed the retired police chief was not confronted by his friends is heart braking. It is time to take our local communities back and let the healing go from the individual out instead of the nation down.

I grew up in Savannah, GA. I lived at the beach but rode a school bus for an hour to the inner city to go to school. I had black friends at school and in my neighborhood. I had black friends (and their family sometimes) eat at my dinner table and I at theirs. I spent the night at their house and they at my house. My mom taught elementary school in inner city schools in downtown Savannah for 30 years. My older brother was caught in the cross fire of a shoot out in the parking lot on his first day of 9th grade. (He wasn't hurt.) Two gangs from the HS that had a beef.

As an adult, I've had black friends and their family stay at my house.

No, I'm not scared of black people. I don't explicitly think about them being black.

I can say that I was at a store in Savannah visiting my parents a couple of years ago and had a question about where I could find a certain product. The black lady employee I asked turned to her white colleague and said with disgust, "I ain't helping this white man. You'll have to."

Last edited:
I've been scared to death ever since blacks stole Clark Griswold's rims in St. Louis......scarred for life....

Reactions: Boisgreat
ADVERTISEMENT