ADVERTISEMENT

I’m conservative and could care less if confederate statues/flags remain

How do you know the reasons why a statue was built 200+ years ago and has stayed at that institution since then? In all honesty, I don't even care about the statues really but tearing them down is a precursor for something bigger that's happening..cancel culture. Cancel, remove, destroy any and all things a group of people finds "offensive" whether it's real or not..including ALL Police in this country. That is a reality right now, it's not fiction, the US House just had a hearing about it.
So do you think the people that erected statues to honor the confederacy were akin to Nostradomus? The Civil War started a good 40 years after the time you suggest these statues were built.

How do you know the reasons why a statue was built 200+ years ago and has stayed at that institution since then? In all honesty, I don't even care about the statues really but tearing them down is a symbol for something greater that's happening..cancel culture.

I did some research. At first I believed as many did, and some still do. That they were monuments to remember loved ones and family. But even the Lee family wants his statue taken down.

Unfortunately, much of the motivation for erecting them was not nearly as noble. I love history, but knowing this part of it kinda ruins it for me.

Over time, views change if you are open to that.

So do you think the people that erected statues to honor the confederacy were akin to Nostradomus? The Civil War started a good 40 years after the time you suggest these statues were built.
I have no idea the reason why a statue was built hundreds of years ago depending on whether it's located, neither do you...why now are we deciding to remove them? I've said this three times ITT, but the statues aren't the end game..it's about to get much deeper than that.

How does a statue of a dead white guy on a horse (who's most famous for being on the losing side of insurrection) remember history? Is the message supposed to be "Hey, look at me, I fought for the South, and we lost, and I'd dead, so people made a statue of me?"

Were you opposed to the Iraqis who pulled down Saddam's statues after he was deposed?
How do you feel about the graves of millions of Americans who died fighting on the losing side? ok with them being erased?

Also, cancel culture never stops. Right now Washington DC statues, paintings, monuments, etc are on the LIST. Many of our founders owned slaves and they will be erased: Washington monument, Jefferson memorial, etc., etc., etc

Last edited:
Right, I never stated they were given freedom I said Confederates fought along side other blacks, which is true.
But you do agree that the war was about slavery? And that when you're fighting a war over slavery, there's a good side and a bad side.

Reactions: Thrill
I have no idea the reason why a statue was built hundreds of years ago depending on whether it's located, neither do you...why now are we deciding to remove them? I've said this three times ITT, but the statues aren't the end game..it's about to get much deeper than that.
Cotdamn dude. The statues were mostly put up between the 1920s and 1960s, and they were explicitly put up by white people, so that black people in the south would look at them every day, and know their place.

Cotdamn dude. The statues were mostly put up between the 1920s and 1960s, and they were explicitly put up by white people, so that black people in the south would look at them every day, and know their place.
Some were, others were built right after the Civil War(mid 1800s)..it depends on the location you're talking about.

Last edited:
Not really sure how not kowtowing to the woke mob is similar to me making a joke on a message board in poor taste, but Ok, Mr self righteous..you have all the answers.

You could have some of the answers, too, but you're too busy typing to think.

They should. I am. No place for that.
I'm interested in hearing why you are opposed to waiving a confederate flag but for having the monuments.

I do think the erasing of history is concerning but I don't think removing a statue is erasing history. If anything I could see this part of our history being told in greater detail due to this movement but maybe that's optimistic of me.

Brent you're better than this man...serious question, have you actually studied any history of the Civil War and the Generals involved, on both sides. It wasn't this "Good" vs "Evil" narrative like public schools portray it to be (Confederates actually fought along side black men vs the Union)....and that's the entire premise of the problem here. The Woke crowd will erase any good parts of history, claims it's all bad and burns it to the ground.
Exactly.

Context is required to come to a reasonable opinion.

I haven’t heard a reasonable argument that the proper context of a REL statue is towering over citizens who have to pass by it in the public square.

What is the up-side?

Reactions: ricedp105
Well again, these statues weren’t erected “hundreds of years ago” and that won’t change no matter how many times you say it. The vast majority of these monuments were built between 1890 and 1965 (think Jim Crow). Of course I understand why most of them were built. It’s not hard and if you wanted to educate yourself on the subject, instead of throwing out silly numbers, you could know as well. As I mentioned earlier, it’s the same reason some southern states added the stars & bars to their state flags. It was a not so subtle reminder that the war was lost but the control remains.
Stop discussing your feelings and actually look into it. You may be surprised by what you find.
I don’t agree with everything that is going on right now. I think it’s ridiculous that a country group changed their name. I think diffing into every name on every building I n the country is stupid but if you can’t see the logic in removing the confederate battle flag or statues in bullock parks and town squares that honor the confederacy, I’m just not sure how to assist you in understanding.

Why not? He was a highly skilled General. He didn't commit genocide or atrocities. In fact he was killed by Hitler. This is exactly what I was talking about. Learn your history. American soldiers did all kinds of things. It's WAR. You do what you have to do to win.
Were you in the military @j4au_1 ?

Well again, these statues weren’t erected “hundreds of years ago” and that won’t change no matter how many times you say it. The vast majority of these monuments were built between 1890 and 1965 (think Jim Crow). Of course I understand why most of them were built. It’s not hard and if you wanted to educate yourself on the subject, instead of throwing out silly numbers, you could know as well. As I mentioned earlier, it’s the same reason some southern states added the stars & bars to their state flags. It was a not so subtle reminder that the war was lost but the control remains.
Stop discussing your feelings and actually look into it. You may be surprised by what you find.
I don’t agree with everything that is going on right now. I think it’s ridiculous that a country group changed their name. I think diffing into every name on every building I n the country is stupid but if you can’t see the logic in removing the confederate battle flag or statues in bullock parks and town squares that honor the confederacy, I’m just not sure how to assist you in understanding.
I agree with everything else here and I have looked into this issue, my Uncle was a huge Civil War buff and what he shared with me always was fascinating and where I learned there wasn't always a good vs evil narrative in the war like some try to portray...with that said, I'm about to argue semantics, but 1890 to 2020 = "hundreds of years ago"

How do you feel about the graves of millions of Americans who died fighting on the losing side? ok with them being erased?

Also, cancel culture never stops. Right now Washington DC statues, paintings, monuments, etc are on the LIST. Many of our founders owned slaves and they will be erased: Washington monument, Jefferson memorial, etc., etc., etc
Why would graves be erased? I see a distinction with the founding fathers because they literally founded the country and established the principles and governing documents upon which are country still operates.

.with that said, I'm about to argue semantics, but 1890 to 2020 = "hundreds of years ago"
No. No it isn’t. It’s 130 years. That isn’t hundreds in any world. That isn’t semantics. It’s you typing without thinking (again) and trying to back your way into being “right”. What a magnificent hill to die on though. You know how to pick them.

The ones I have seen on the news were torn down and spray painted with profanity.
So what? They're participation trophies from a losing war fought by a defunct state, for the purpose of keeping a race of people enslaved. There is no heritage to be celebrated here. Take em down.

Reactions: Thrill
I agree with everything else here and I have looked into this issue, my Uncle was a huge Civil War buff and what he shared with me always was fascinating and where I learned there wasn't always a good vs evil narrative in the war like some try to portray"
Your uncle lied to you.

At some point though..if you actually look at your family tree, everyone of our ancestors owned slaves either here or in another country..and that includes African Americans who were enslaved their own people. That's the slippery slope part that comes into play.
I doubt that. My ancestors were either dirt poor potato farmers in Ireland, or peasants living in the Carpathian mountains. Either way, my hunch is that they were too poor to own much of anything.

I think that political bickering is semi-idiotic, and I stupidly interact in this bickering at times. No one through argument changes another’s mind. So why should you care how I vote or vice versa? Why do some think they should have the liberty to tell others how to live their lives, unless it comes to infringing on rights or property?

The bottom line should be to live peacefully and make sure people have equal opportunity for success, where hard work matters.

Beyond that it’s just a noise industry where agendas drive narratives. In other words non-fruitful bickering.

Politics were never meant to define relationships. We were meant to look out for one another, or to love others. Love can conquer many divisions.
Actually the term is "I could NOT care less", but I get your drift, and I totally agree.

The statue doesn't "glorify" history. It remembers it. Huge diff that you woke people wouldn't understand.
Should the Germans eliminate all memorials to the Holocaust, cause they don't like it? Erase it from memory? Hell no.

Once you start changing/eliminating history, there is no end to what will be changed.

There is not one person alive today that should be "offended" about what happened 140 years ago.
That is a stupid argument. But, I bet Stugly, "Riced," likes it.

"Hundreds- a number between 100 and 999"(130)...it is actually, I'm not arguing about numbers again, but that's the definition of hundreds.
If you had 100 dollars, would you say that you had "hundreds of dollars"?

Last edited:
I agree with everything else here and I have looked into this issue, my Uncle was a huge Civil War buff and what he shared with me always was fascinating and where I learned there wasn't always a good vs evil narrative in the war like some try to portray...with that said, I'm about to argue semantics, but 1890 to 2020 = "hundreds of years ago"
I appreciate your relationship with your uncle and the information he shared with you. I would suggest that the “good vs evil” narrative may take on a different feel if you were black and owned by another human.
As to your other point, the “s” on the end of hundred, indicates multiples. You originally said “200 years” Then changed to “hundreds of years”. Neither are close to true about 1890.

What is your stance on removing Robert E Lee's statue in Richmond? It has been there a hundred years. He had freed his slaves before the war unlike several union generals.

It's really awesome to see Rice putting in the work this offseason. Stump came in to the last tournament with the hot hand, and won a well deserved championship. But it's the sheer volume of shitposting and stupidity presented in threads like this, day in and day out for years, that separate a dynasty like Rice from the rest of the pack.

It's really awesome to see Rice putting in the work this offseason. Stump came in to the last tournament with the hot hand, and won a well deserved championship. But it's the sheer volume of shitposting and stupidity presented in threads like this, day in and day out for years, that separate a dynasty like Rice from the rest of the pack.
I love you too Brent.

What is your stance on removing Robert E Lee's statue in Richmond? It has been there a hundred years. He had freed his slaves before the war unlike several union generals.
Robert E. Lee decided to turn his back on his country, and fight for the enslavement of a race of people. **** that guy.

So what? They're participation trophies from a losing war fought by a defunct state, for the purpose of keeping a race of people enslaved. There is no heritage to be celebrated here. Take em down.
If you feel that strong about it get to tearing down statues.

TBWP got it right this year, also Rice doesn’t have a shittiest poster award named after him on TMB

Reactions: ricedp105
While Slavery was definitely not the sole reason for secession (others can argue those details), Slavery was absolutely a part of it, and that can’t be ignored.

Here’s the declaration of secession from SC, the first state to secede. It directly addresses Slavery issues as a reason for secession.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dec...sion_of_South_Carolina_from_the_Federal_Union
“The specific issue stated was the refusal of some states to enforce the Fugitive Slave Act and clauses in the U.S. Constitution protecting slavery and the federal government's perceived role in attempting to abolish slavery.”

If you feel that strong about it get to tearing down statues.
See I don't feel strongly about it. At all. I don't care. But the people that ARE tearing down the statues feel pretty strongly about it, so more power to em.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT