ADVERTISEMENT

Covid Deaths in Alabama last three days

I did my best to catch COVID in late March and finally did About 2 months ago. Best decision I ever made! If you are healthy and under 60 I would suggest catching it. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule just like there is with anything in life. Someone will die that is young and healthy that can’t be explained just like they do with other viruses.
Handle checks out. And your post-to-like ratio fvcking sucks.

Reactions: Tiger Hoops Guy
That could be it. No one knows much about worldometers or who is involved with it aside form the info they have on their website. This article looks at their background and notes some of the issues with the data they have reported.

According to Worldometer’s website, its Covid-19 data comes from a multilingual team that “monitors press briefings’ live streams throughout the day” and through crowdsourcing.

Visitors can report new Covid-19 numbers and data sources to the website – no name or email address required. A “team of analysts and researchers” validate the data, the website says. It may, at first, sound like the Wikipedia of the data world, but some Wikipedia editors have decided to avoid Worldometer as a source for Covid-19 data.

“Several updates lack a source, do not match their cited source or contain errors,” one editor, posting under the username MarioGom, wrote on a discussion page for Wikipedia editors working on Covid-19-related content last month. “Some errors are small and temporary, but some are relatively big and never corrected.”

The editor, whose real name is Mario Gómez, told CNN in an email, “Instead of trying to use a consistent criteria, [Worldometer] seems to be going for the highest figure. They have a system for users to report higher figures, but so far I failed to use it to report that some figure is erroneous and should be lower.”

Edouard Mathieu, the data manager for Our World in Data (OWID), an independent statistics website headquartered at Oxford University, has seen a similar trend.

“Their main focus seems to be having the latest number wherever it comes from, whether it’s reliable or not, whether it’s well-sourced or not,” he said. “We think people should be wary, especially media, policy-makers and decision-makers. This data is not as accurate as they think it is.”

Virginia Pitzer, a Yale University epidemiologist focused on modeling Covid-19’s spread in the United States, said she’d never heard of Worldometer. CNN asked her to assess the website’s reliability.

“I think the Worldometer site is legitimate,” she wrote via email, explaining that many of its sources appear to be credible government websites. But she also found flaws, inconsistencies and an apparent lack of expert curation. “The interpretation of the data is lacking,” she wrote, explaining that she found the data on active cases “particularly problematic” because data on recoveries is not consistently reported.

Pitzer also found few detailed explanations of data reporting issues or discrepancies. For Spain, it’s a single sentence. For many other countries, there are no explanations at all.

She also found errors. In the Spanish data, for instance, Worldometer reports more than 18,000 recoveries on April 24. The Spanish government reported 3,105 recoveries that day.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/05/world/worldometer-coronavirus-mystery/

But it also calls it's legitimate.

I think they all have flaws

11 (today)
4 (yesterday)

For a 3-day total of 16 or average of less than 6.

Good trend to see.

Hopefully continues and the high 3-day average in the 30s we had last week was more of a abnormality
Not a bad number considering ALL bammer deaths are likely labeled china virus”.

Reactions: Solo Cup
Yes, lower numbers is certainly positive. Hopefully this is a trend. Just saw my neighbor that is a doc at UAB and asked him if they had seen any drop-off in cases and he said they had not. Hopefully that's just a function of so many cases being transferred there from other hospitals.
Lol....you kill folks on here for repeating what their “doctor” friends tell them and now all of a sudden you use your neighbor to relay “pertinent” info....

Likely, unless things change the last half of the week. 7 day average is up ~25 through yesterday, when compared to Saturday

I think deaths have been up 5 days in a row now. I’ve been tracking Saturday thru Friday each week on this website. I’m guessing July was higher than June in deaths and August will be higher than July. Maybe deaths will go down in sept as it seems states get serious after getting hit hard. Then again, schools and colleges could make it worse if they pass it on to parents, etc.

Rt is the rate of reproduction of the virus. If Rt is above 1.0, the virus will spread quickly. When Rt is below 1.0, the virus will stop spreading exponentially. Data from Covid19-Projections for Alabama. NOTE: This chart will update each Wednesday.

Alabama is currently .093.

It's the lowest number that's been reported since the outbreak

Schools and universities will be the second reopening of states. More sports and activities as well. I would imagine more parents would go back to work. All of that was going to be fine if this virus was knocked way down like it has been in so many countries.

Schools and universities will be the second reopening of states. More sports and activities as well. I would imagine more parents would go back to work. All of that was going to be fine if this virus was knocked way down like it has been in so many countries.

That's nice. What I stated was the data that is being reported.

deathbros incoming!!!

giphy.gif
The Fuzz? Shit everyone scatter.

Reactions: texasAUtiger
Lol....you kill folks on here for repeating what their “doctor” friends tell them and now all of a sudden you use your neighbor to relay “pertinent” info....
Apparently you failed to notice I posted the UAB stats which corroborate what he told me. Surely you can find something else to get upset about.

Everybody keeps saying that every other country got deaths down and kept them down. Ever country handled it better than Trump. That is not true.

Other countries, Great Britain for one, are seeing big new spikes coming. The new spikes are also appearing to have a serious effect on young people. Spain has banned British visitors because of the rising numbers of cases from Great Britain.

Americans are stupid. We did really good with the shutdown until the very end. Britons adhered much more closely to lockdown rules than we did. In America far too many think it is their right not to wear a mask. Look at Louie Gohmert if you need an example. I like Louie but today he has tested positive for Covid just before he was supposed to board Air Force One to fly with the President to Texas. He also managed to walk down a Capitol hallway with Bill Barr yesterday, so now Barr has been exposed. And how many did Barr possibly expose yesterday afternoon, last night and this morning prior to hearing of Gohmert’s positive test? All this happened because Louie refused to wear a mask.

There are only a couple of ways to handle this mess. And it needs to be all or nothing behaviorally. We either all scrap the masks, move forward with our lives and whatever happens happens. Or we all need to wear a mask to at least show we are trying to protect others from each of us.

Doctors keep saying the masks work. Dr. Fauci said today to add goggles to the mask for more safety. I am not a Fauci disciple but I will try whatever it takes without fretting about it.

The bottom line is we are our own worst enemies and biggest cause of not being able to conquer this stuff. Our son has a church in northwest AL. They tried having a discussion of the masks trying to make it easier for more to return to the church. He said the discussion they had almost came to blows. Both sides are passionate about their opinions. They now face the issue of those who still have not returned to church. There are two groups there. One group won’t return because of having to wear a mask. The other group won’t return because people are not wearing masks.

We have got to come together on this thing. It is not an overstepping by government. It is what we need to do to get rid of this virus so we can then go back to arguing whose right and whose wrong with our friends and neighbors. Or back to a normal life. Until we accept this and do it or until we manage to get ahead of this thing with a vaccine (there was a big failure with one they were optimistic about today), we need to do whatever archaic things need to be done. There are baseball players playing in face masks. If they can wear one and play, then certainly the rest of us can wear one to do those things essential to our lives. It won’t be forever and the time will be even shorter if we have more people wear the mask.

Trends are good for Alabama. Facemask mandate helping?
Also, Alabama's testing numbers have been wonky the last couple of days.

I've been told that deaths are a month behind cases, so the facemasks wouldnt impact those yet because we are still early in only the 2nd week of them.

I did see where Bamatracker said the testing numbers have been wonky and that tomorrow may abnormally high. But that's also why I just referenced the 7 day average and not the daily case total.

Reactions: texasAUtiger
this pandemic has played itself out the exact same way in every cluster. alabama is no different. we are on the downhill side of it now.
You sound like the guy, back in early March, who said we have 15 today, but in two weeks we will have 0. It will just disappear. But now we have 150,000 deaths.

Everybody keeps saying that every other country got deaths down and kept them down. Ever country handled it better than Trump. That is not true.

Other countries, Great Britain for one, are seeing big new spikes coming. The new spikes are also appearing to have a serious effect on young people. Spain has banned British visitors because of the rising numbers of cases from Great Britain.

Americans are stupid. We did really good with the shutdown until the very end. Britons adhered much more closely to lockdown rules than we did. In America far too many think it is their right not to wear a mask. Look at Louie Gohmert if you need an example. I like Louie but today he has tested positive for Covid just before he was supposed to board Air Force One to fly with the President to Texas. He also managed to walk down a Capitol hallway with Bill Barr yesterday, so now Barr has been exposed. And how many did Barr possibly expose yesterday afternoon, last night and this morning prior to hearing of Gohmert’s positive test? All this happened because Louie refused to wear a mask.

There are only a couple of ways to handle this mess. And it needs to be all or nothing behaviorally. We either all scrap the masks, move forward with our lives and whatever happens happens. Or we all need to wear a mask to at least show we are trying to protect others from each of us.

Doctors keep saying the masks work. Dr. Fauci said today to add goggles to the mask for more safety. I am not a Fauci disciple but I will try whatever it takes without fretting about it.

The bottom line is we are our own worst enemies and biggest cause of not being able to conquer this stuff. Our son has a church in northwest AL. They tried having a discussion of the masks trying to make it easier for more to return to the church. He said the discussion they had almost came to blows. Both sides are passionate about their opinions. They now face the issue of those who still have not returned to church. There are two groups there. One group won’t return because of having to wear a mask. The other group won’t return because people are not wearing masks.

We have got to come together on this thing. It is not an overstepping by government. It is what we need to do to get rid of this virus so we can then go back to arguing whose right and whose wrong with our friends and neighbors. Or back to a normal life. Until we accept this and do it or until we manage to get ahead of this thing with a vaccine (there was a big failure with one they were optimistic about today), we need to do whatever archaic things need to be done. There are baseball players playing in face masks. If they can wear one and play, then certainly the rest of us can wear one to do those things essential to our lives. It won’t be forever and the time will be even shorter if we have more people wear the mask.

Pretty much every place that has reopened has experienced a spike in positives. It’s inevitable. It’s going to happen. This explains it well and was very well written:

Pretty much every place that has reopened has experienced a spike in positives. It’s inevitable. It’s going to happen. This explains it well and was very well written:

1. Fk me running @aler was right.

2. Mike gets his point across with kindness and humility....my kind of man.

3. I'm begining to really fall in this camp and will read more of Dr. O's commentary on the pandemic.

4. I will be devastated if Dr. O advocates the sex with demons causes herps hypothesis.

5. I think Mike and Dr. O may deserve their own thread. I find the psychological analysis of the situation to be intriguing and spot on.

They said minutes later they found that out. So 1274 deaths. That’s still the highest in months unless it happened last week which I don’t think it did. This will be the 4th week in a row of deaths increasing.

That could be it. No one knows much about worldometers or who is involved with it aside form the info they have on their website. This article looks at their background and notes some of the issues with the data they have reported.

According to Worldometer’s website, its Covid-19 data comes from a multilingual team that “monitors press briefings’ live streams throughout the day” and through crowdsourcing.

Visitors can report new Covid-19 numbers and data sources to the website – no name or email address required. A “team of analysts and researchers” validate the data, the website says. It may, at first, sound like the Wikipedia of the data world, but some Wikipedia editors have decided to avoid Worldometer as a source for Covid-19 data.

“Several updates lack a source, do not match their cited source or contain errors,” one editor, posting under the username MarioGom, wrote on a discussion page for Wikipedia editors working on Covid-19-related content last month. “Some errors are small and temporary, but some are relatively big and never corrected.”

The editor, whose real name is Mario Gómez, told CNN in an email, “Instead of trying to use a consistent criteria, [Worldometer] seems to be going for the highest figure. They have a system for users to report higher figures, but so far I failed to use it to report that some figure is erroneous and should be lower.”

Edouard Mathieu, the data manager for Our World in Data (OWID), an independent statistics website headquartered at Oxford University, has seen a similar trend.

“Their main focus seems to be having the latest number wherever it comes from, whether it’s reliable or not, whether it’s well-sourced or not,” he said. “We think people should be wary, especially media, policy-makers and decision-makers. This data is not as accurate as they think it is.”

Virginia Pitzer, a Yale University epidemiologist focused on modeling Covid-19’s spread in the United States, said she’d never heard of Worldometer. CNN asked her to assess the website’s reliability.

“I think the Worldometer site is legitimate,” she wrote via email, explaining that many of its sources appear to be credible government websites. But she also found flaws, inconsistencies and an apparent lack of expert curation. “The interpretation of the data is lacking,” she wrote, explaining that she found the data on active cases “particularly problematic” because data on recoveries is not consistently reported.

Pitzer also found few detailed explanations of data reporting issues or discrepancies. For Spain, it’s a single sentence. For many other countries, there are no explanations at all.

She also found errors. In the Spanish data, for instance, Worldometer reports more than 18,000 recoveries on April 24. The Spanish government reported 3,105 recoveries that day.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/05/world/worldometer-coronavirus-mystery/

I just looked and some states had not be completely updated and the final number on World Meters was inline with the site you use. Texas was reported at 313

Right ... I was referring to trends on cases in Alabama since the mask mandate was put into effect.

P7HYZ60.png

If we have already felt the impact of wearing the masks, then the month lag time theory is incorrect.

But that isn't anything to argue about.

The thing is we are seeing positive trends and we all hope they continue

I just looked and some states had not be completely updated and the final number on World Meters was inline with the site you use. Texas was reported at 313

Yes so about 130 or so more so around 1270 deaths. That also means they underreported by that same amount over the weekend.

Yes so about 130 or so more so around 1270 deaths. That also means they underreported by that same amount over the weekend.

That's why the 7 day average is best to look at or compare the day of the week to the same day of the previous week

That's why the 7 day average is best to look at or compare the day of the week to the same day of the previous week

Of course but yesterday was still the most deaths in one day in a long time. Also, 10,000 deaths in 10 days.

Of course but yesterday was still the most deaths in one day in a long time. Also, 10,000 deaths in 10 days.

And three states made up 50% of the deaths reported yesterday.

Florida looks to be higher today, from 216 to 252.

Will curious to see what Texas shows

AL added 27 deaths today, showing another positive trend, marking the 3rd straight week of deaths reported Monday - Thursday

Reactions: JacksonAU
1. Fk me running @aler was right.

2. Mike gets his point across with kindness and humility....my kind of man.

3. I'm begining to really fall in this camp and will read more of Dr. O's commentary on the pandemic.

4. I will be devastated if Dr. O advocates the sex with demons causes herps hypothesis.

5. I think Mike and Dr. O may deserve their own thread. I find the psychological analysis of the situation to be intriguing and spot on.
I had never heard of this Osteholm guy, but will have to check him out. Since both he and Mike are smarter than I am, I now feel better about some of my previous pessimism in regard to this virus...

https://auburn.forums.rivals.com/th...ont-believe-there.1069354/page-2#post-7821064

However, one doesn't have to be too smart to understand that, barring a vaccine, an effective treatment, or the virus somehow naturally burning itself out, we have to deal with the virus running through the population. It is all but unavoidable. All we can do it try to slow it down to "flatten the curve" and mitigate the damage. In 21st century America, we don't like accepting bad stuff like this, but Mike is spot on that we just have to. I think we have more that proven that we cannot shut down everything. We gotta "get busy living or get busy dying."

I had never heard of this Osteholm guy, but will have to check him out. Since both he and Mike are smarter than I am, I now feel better about some of my previous pessimism in regard to this virus...

https://auburn.forums.rivals.com/th...ont-believe-there.1069354/page-2#post-7821064

However, one doesn't have to be too smart to understand that, barring a vaccine, an effective treatment, or the virus somehow naturally burning itself out, we have to deal with the virus running through the population. It is all but unavoidable. All we can do it try to slow it down to "flatten the curve" and mitigate the damage. In 21st century America, we don't like accepting bad stuff like this, but Mike is spot on that we just have to. I think we have more that proven that we cannot shut down everything. We gotta "get busy living or get busy dying."

If there is a vaccine and or better treatments by early 2021, wouldn’t that mean we should try to mitigate as much as possible until then? I’m talking social distancing, wearing masks, avoiding large gatherings, etc. Just the basics.

Reactions: MCTIGgER IV
If there is a vaccine and or better treatments by early 2021, wouldn’t that mean we should try to mitigate as much as possible until then? I’m talking social distancing, wearing masks, avoiding large gatherings, etc. Just the basics.
Yeah, but what part of anything posted here would prompt even asking that? Did you read this part of what Mike Rowe wrote?

"Again, don’t misunderstand. I’m not ignoring COVID, or downplaying COVID, or pretending the risks at hand aren’t real. Nor am I comparing COVID cases to car accidents - I'm simply comparing the fear of each to the other, and the fear that always accompanies uncertainty. I don’t want to get this disease or give it to someone else, any more than I want to be in a car car wreck that injures someone else. But I've accepted certain things about the pandemic, and now, I've gotten used to the risk as I understand it. I take precautions. I get tested as often as I can, and if I can't physically distance, I wear a mask – especially around higher risk people. Likewise, I wear a seatbelt, obey the speed limits, and check my mirrors before changing lanes. Yes - I’m aware that we’d all be a lot safer if we kept our cars in the garage. I’m also aware we’d be a lot safer if we all kept ourselves in the house. But that’s not why cars, or people, exist."

Yeah, but what part of anything posted here would prompt even asking that? Did you read this part of what Mike Rowe wrote?

"Again, don’t misunderstand. I’m not ignoring COVID, or downplaying COVID, or pretending the risks at hand aren’t real. Nor am I comparing COVID cases to car accidents - I'm simply comparing the fear of each to the other, and the fear that always accompanies uncertainty. I don’t want to get this disease or give it to someone else, any more than I want to be in a car car wreck that injures someone else. But I've accepted certain things about the pandemic, and now, I've gotten used to the risk as I understand it. I take precautions. I get tested as often as I can, and if I can't physically distance, I wear a mask – especially around higher risk people. Likewise, I wear a seatbelt, obey the speed limits, and check my mirrors before changing lanes. Yes - I’m aware that we’d all be a lot safer if we kept our cars in the garage. I’m also aware we’d be a lot safer if we all kept ourselves in the house. But that’s not why cars, or people, exist."

I was talking about what you posted.

I was talking about what you posted.
In that case, did you read this part?
All we can do it try to slow it down to "flatten the curve" and mitigate the damage.

This would correspond to this part of Rowe's comments. "I take precautions. I get tested as often as I can, and if I can't physically distance, I wear a mask – especially around higher risk people."

Btw, if you ever wonder why people bust your chops over this virus, this is an example. Taking precautions, testing, distancing, mask wearing, flattening the curve, mitigating the damage, etc. as mentioned here don't seem to be enough for you. Is anything other than a complete shutdown acceptable to you? Is the goal to either have a complete shutdown or blame someone for every death caused by the virus?

He (blue) actually typed that we should slow the burn, flatten the curve and mitigate in that post.....but the get busy living parting shot did imprint with me more as well. I think he meant it in relative terms.
Yeah, that was in regard to the context of Rowe's post. The person to whom he was responding seemed to be questioning or criticizing Rowe for working (i.e. filming a TV show) during the pandemic. Rowe's nutshell response was that he has gone through the stages of accepting that there is only so much we can do and that, beyond that, he is simply going to live his life. He knows that people will die from the virus. Even he could die from it. But he has decided to take reasonable precautions and then accept the risk and live his life. He has chosen to "get busy living or get busy dying." Or at least that is how I read him.

In that case, did you read this part?

This would correspond to this part of Rowe's comments. "I take precautions. I get tested as often as I can, and if I can't physically distance, I wear a mask – especially around higher risk people."

Btw, if you ever wonder why people bust your chops over this virus, this is an example. Taking precautions, testing, distancing, mask wearing, flattening the curve, mitigating the damage, etc. as mentioned here don't seem to be enough for you. Is anything other than a complete shutdown acceptable to you? Is the goal to either have a complete shutdown or blame someone for every death caused by the virus?

It was your comments after that.

ADVERTISEMENT