ADVERTISEMENT

Considering the "great" state of Alabama is one of the least vaccinated in the US, I have one question... Why?

Good lord. Why do so many people view black people as children who can't do everyday things? The vaccine has been offered for free in extremely accessible places in my community yet the best estimate is 25% vaccination rate for the black population.
We know the most hesitant is white male republicans followed by black and Latino males.

• Haha
Reactions: Rusty Strings
No they aren’t, we just don’t like being told what to do. I will stack my education up with anyone, certifications as well. I am not taking the vaccine, just so you know I don’t like wearing mask either. Hope you sleep less at night knowing that. If you got the vaccine and your mask works why are so scared if I don’t? Or anybody else for that matter.
I would say making poor health decisions due to not wanting to be told what to do is the dumbest thing I’ve heard. Are you 5 years old? And no, I won’t lose a wink of sleep over your decision but some that care about you might.

I skimmed the first few results and none showed proof of what you stated. Here's a direct statement from the first:

Conservative and Republican men were swayed
For both samples, most people said they were “very likely” to get vaccinated. However, the different prompts affected various reluctant subgroups in different ways.
In both samples, Black respondents’ answers were consistent. None of the statements, no matter how they were framed, changed their overall likelihood of getting vaccinated. But Republicans and conservatives appeared amenable to such persuasion.

The most recent link on the first page was from May.

Your arguments are more emotionally driven than my wife's when it's that time of the month.

I skimmed the first few results and none showed proof of what you stated. Here's a direct statement from the first:

Conservative and Republican men were swayed
For both samples, most people said they were “very likely” to get vaccinated. However, the different prompts affected various reluctant subgroups in different ways.
In both samples, Black respondents’ answers were consistent. None of the statements, no matter how they were framed, changed their overall likelihood of getting vaccinated. But Republicans and conservatives appeared amenable to such persuasion.

The most recent link on the first page was from May.

Your arguments are more emotionally driven than my wife's when it's that time of the month.
Don’t just look at one. They are consistently the most hesitant in most polls. Just accept they are the most hesitant.

lol. What? Who do you think is dealing with the fallout? I would say it’s the unvaccinated. See the % of deaths and hospitalizations for the unvaccinated. Also, they said they would listen to the Dr’s like Fauci on the vaccine.
The first national public group of people that said that they wouldn’t take the vaccine was biden/Harris during the debates. They started the doubting of it and now they get to try and undo the problem they started.

And spare me stats. We had people being declared covid deaths after they fell off a ladder or got in a car crash.

You can walk in and get the vaccine at CVS and Walgreens now (and publix). Back when everyone was trying to get an appointment, Walmart in Selma was the only place in the area that had open appointments.
There are 7 Walgreens locations in Montgomery. Only two of them is west of Carter Hill Rd and one of those is basically attached to Jackson Hospital and doesn’t have normal store hours. The other five are on the Eastern half of town, two of them way east. CVS is a little better with three of their 14 location on the western half (none of either west of I-65). There’s no Walmart on the west side (Ann St in the middle of town is the closest), and the Sam’s Club and Costco are both east.

None of this is to day that the access issue is all of the problem and I don’t think that what the article was conveying either. But it’s a big factor and needs to be talked about more and not just Tuskegee experiments and hesitancy. In this town, if you live in the west half outside of a couple of pockets like Cloverdale, you’re most likely poor and most likely black. You’re far more likely to rely on public transportation rather than owning a car. There are likely issues with the job flexibility you have to go get it. It’s not impossible, but it’s not near the same as for more affluent areas.

The first national public group of people that said that they wouldn’t take the vaccine was biden/Harris during the debates. They started the doubting of it and now they get to try and undo the problem they started.

And spare me stats. We had people being declared covid deaths after they fell off a ladder or got in a car crash.
Your last line has been debunked a hundred times. And no, they said they would listen to Fauci and other Dr’s on the vaccine.

There are 7 Walgreens locations in Montgomery. Only two of them is west of Carter Hill Rd and one of those is basically attached to Jackson Hospital and doesn’t have normal store hours. The other five are on the Eastern half of town, two of them way east. CVS is a little better with three of their 14 location on the western half (none of either west of I-65). There’s no Walmart on the west side (Ann St in the middle of town is the closest), and the Sam’s Club and Costco are both east.

None of this is to day that the access issue is all of the problem and I don’t think that what the article was conveying either. But it’s a big factor and needs to be talked about more and not just Tuskegee experiments and hesitancy. In this town, if you live in the west half outside of a couple of pockets like Cloverdale, you’re most likely poor and most likely black. You’re far more likely to rely on public transportation rather than owning a car. There are likely issues with the job flexibility you have to go get it. It’s not impossible, but it’s not near the same as for more affluent areas.

The health department is on the west side. I think that if someone wanted to get it, they’ve had ample time and opportunities to do so.

The health department is on the west side. I think that if someone wanted to get it, they’ve had ample time and opportunities to do so.
For a good while even with multiple times more locations and more opportunity to get it, even white folks in this area struggled to get appointments. I can only imagine how much harder it would be with a fraction of the locations, and less ability to just hop in a car, take off work, etc and go get it. Like I say, it may not explain it all, but to ignore it seems unrealistic.

(Excerpt from another thread back in May).....

I think we need to do more work to ensure that vaccinated people can't be carriers that give the virus a chance to mutate. These supposed positives for vaccinated folks, could be a huge blind spot since most vaccinated folks won't be getting tested. I wonder if we've tested to see if fully vaccinated folks can generate a viral load high enough to pass COVID to others and do so long enough for the virus to mutate. That could be a HUGE curveball.

Lol. They have tested viral load for vaccinated people and it’s very low.

Holy shit at vaccinated people creating another variant........

Stomp and his band of idiots have ridiculed me continuously for weeks over me saying I thought there was a possibility that fully vaccinated folks could potentially spread COVID too. Now, yet again, he's been proven to be DEAD wrong by the latest info from the CDC saying that is true. Do you think he's acted remotely maturely and come back to apologize for ruining all of those threads, being SUPER cocky and adamant that he was right, and constantly saying that the humble suggestion above was completely ridiculous and as stupid as it gets etc.? Unfortunately not. He never mans up, displays integrity and admits that he was wrong.

While I'm almost expecting the guidance to change yet again, and wouldn't be surprised at all if the CDC were to come out with a way to explain off the latest information, current studies from Israel, and subsequent data that's come from subsequent studies here have apparently proven that fully vaccinated people can carry significant viral loads, and also spread COVID, (to both unvaccinated, and even others who are fully vaccinated). Bottom line, I'm just super grateful that we caught this potentially HUGE blind spot. The "experts, doctors and scientists" should have caught this particular edge case and pointed it out? You have to ask yourself why that didn't happen across a country full of intelligent and knowledgeable experts. That's why you don't dismiss ideas offhand, even if they are coming from an unqualified peon. Truly intelligent people know to evaluate info, ideas and arguments based on THEIR OWN MERIT, not just who they come from, and how many letters they have behind their name, or you risk missing something that could help.

I truly wish we had more on the board who were more concerned about conducting intelligent discourse, and generating ideas and potential solutions etc., rather than being "right", and "winning" an internet pissing contest. We can do better.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbmitche
I know a fully vaccinated person who went home Wednesday with symptoms and a positive test result

Her fully vaccinated husband became symptomatic and tested positive 48 hours later.

Two words: Tuskegee Experiment. How could anyone trust the government after that heinous act? The irony is that now these political royals complain about the lower numbers but it is their sheer incompetency and generations of lies and charades that has fostered a justified attitude of mistrust.
You mean like how the government lied about those polio and smallpox vaccines?

Reactions: whynotAU
ADVERTISEMENT