ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL QUICK NOTES: Ike Hilliard (8-10-22)

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
He’s quiet and thoughtful. Every word counts.

• He doesn’t coach differently from NFL to college, but says he may communicate a little differently here.

• On Omari Kelly, he said the kid is fast and strong.

• On Camden Brown, he said the kid is cut from a different (old-school) cloth, works very hard, plays very hard.

• On Jay Fair, he said the kid was raised right, learns assuredly.

• On Zay, he says he likes his (big) body and his ball skills. “We need to get more out of him. He is that talented.”

• On Koy Moore: “We‘re all wiser and hardened by life.”

• On Daz Worsham, he likes the kid’s athleticism but really wants to see more consistency catching the football.

• The receivers had a bad practice yesterday (Tuesday). Lots of drops without any defensive overnight. Just … drops.

• On Landen King: “That’s a tall drink of water, now. It’s a different world for him, learning how to bend your knees and teaching transition within two yards, body position relative to the route. We have a learning curve to attack that has very little to do with talent or potential. The ceiling is extremely high.”

• He likes to refers to players as “humans.” I asked him about that and he just said that’s how he categorizes folks, which is fair. We’re all humans indeed.

• He calls Tar’Varish Dawson by his nickname, which is “Chick.” (Hilliard doesn’t know why Dawson has that nickname.)

• He loves the maturity Shed Jackson and Malcolm Johnson Jr. bring to practice everyday.

• He said something I found interesting: “Once the quarterback throws the ball, their job is done. Then it’s our job.”

• He was asked about if he had a “six” upon whom he could rely … and he countered by saying he wants all of them ready to contribute in a way this season.

• On what he’s trying to pass along to these players: “That you’re good enough. Change the narrative.”

• On biggest adjustment coming from NFL. “Shit that has nothing to do with football … has been an eye-opener for me. Really. Also, I think, the coach-player relationship that also involves the parents when necessary. I‘ve never had to do that piece. I’m trying to find my rhythm in that.“

• More on dealing with parents: He says “the experience” should be the most important thing for each player, but it’s clear that some parents have placed a lot of expectations on their kids and the stats.

• “Everything they (want) to do, I’ve done.”

• He doesn’t yell at players. “If they’re not performing, they’ll be standing by me on the sideline. They know that. It’s real simple.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News