pole: the “experts” are warning everything is going to hit the fan in two weeks

what do you think?

• screw off, i’m living life

Votes: 308 93.1%
  • i will live in a bubble

Votes: 23 6.9%

• Total voters
200.gif

Deaths don’t come in 2 weeks. If we stay at over 35000 daily cases, they will come and we will just be at 500-1000 deaths a day until cases go down.

Holy hell I guess I had never noticed your post to like ratio. That is impressively bad. You must be wrong about a lot of stuff. Or really annoying. Or both.

Reactions: AUJMac and thaxttg
Holy hell I guess I had never noticed your post to like ratio. That is impressively bad. You must be wrong about a lot of stuff. Or really annoying. Or both.

Lol. Not that it matters as I’m on here for entertainment but I was posting for a decade before likes.

this. americans have accepted that people will die. you can have a livelihood or no virus, but you cannot have both. we have chosen.
Absolutely no one will choose financial ruin over roll the dice. I understand why wealthy people and people who get paid no matter what would stay at home. But people who only get paid if they go in will go in. That's why the state governments have taken the choice out of the public's hands. No one screaming 'STAY AT HOME' is doing so from a position of facing financial ruin. They just DGAF if you go broke. Those who govern us could stay locked down forever and never miss a check...

this. americans have accepted that people will die. you can have a livelihood or no virus, but you cannot have both. we have chosen.

You can’t have a great economy and a rampant deadly virus either.

People trying to put food on their table and keep their home don't gaf about a 'great economy'. They care about being able to buy the goods they need to survive. They aren't investors playing the market. More American's than not have less than $400 in saving...$400-damn-dollars. While working seems optional to you, you do not represent the bulk of this nation.

People trying to put food on their table and keep their home don't gaf about a 'great economy'. They care about being able to buy the goods they need to survive. More American's than not have less than $400 in saving...$400-damn-dollars. While working seems optional to you, you do not represent the bulk of this nation.

And those people are screwed with a virus running rampant. 40% of the jobs making less than $40k got laid off and almost all of them are still laid off. What you don’t get it is social distancing, mask wearing, testing, contact tracing, etc are the ways we can reopen.

Reactions: First Coast Tiger
Sure you can. The virus is only deadly if you’re over 80 and live in a nursing home.
Well over 50% of the deaths have some from nursing homes - and if NY was being honest the number would be higher than that. Protect nursing homes and move on with life as normal.

Sure you can. The virus is only deadly if you’re over 80 and live in a nursing home.
Well over 50% of the deaths have some from nursing homes - and if NY was being honest the number would be higher than that. Protect nursing homes and move on with life as normal.
this. factually speaking, the virus has a statistically insignificant death rate of those infected under 60. it’s not even a blip on the radar, to be honest. people under 60 are drastically more likely to be killed in a car wreck on the way to work than to die from covid.

just the facts, regardless of if someone doesn’t wanna hear them.

Then explain 20 million people still out of work that were laid off.

People trying to put food on their table and keep their home don't gaf about a 'great economy'. They care about being able to buy the goods they need to survive. They aren't investors playing the market. More American's than not have less than $400 in saving...$400-damn-dollars. While working seems optional to you, you do not represent the bulk of this nation.
And those people are screwed with a virus running rampant. 40% of the jobs making less than $40k got laid off and almost all of them are still laid off. What you don’t get it is social distancing, mask wearing, testing, contact tracing, etc are the ways we can reopen.
Oh, I get it just fine. And if you can find a way to do all of the things you mentioned while allowing folks who have to work to survive work, people will grumble but deal with it. But nothing should be completely shutdown, nor should one person have the power to decide what is and isn't shutdown.

There's more covid patients in the ICU at my wife's hospital now than there were back in March or April. I would still not be in favor of another shut down, but I think we ended the first one too early.

If we stay quarantined for 2 months or 2 years or 2 decades, when we all come out it will spread. We won't have some foolproof vaccine (we don't have one for the flu which we've studied for 100 years), regardless.

So, the most vulnerable need to be in a bubble and everyone else needs to be cautious but realize beyond that nothing we will do will eradicate this thing, so there's no use in trying to eradicate. Mitigate risk and move on.

Reactions: Call Me Biscuit
Absolutely no one will choose financial ruin over roll the dice. I understand why wealthy people and people who get paid no matter what would stay at home. But people who only get paid if they go in will go in. That's why the state governments have taken the choice out of the public's hands. No one screaming 'STAY AT HOME' is doing so from a position of facing financial ruin. They just DGAF if you go broke. Those who govern us could stay locked down forever and never miss a check...

Gov't employees who cannot do their job from home should be on unpaid furlough.

Gov't employees who can do their jobs 100% from home can continue to work full time and get paid full time.

Gov't employees who can do something from home, but not 100% of their job should be on rolling every-other-week furloughs.

Let all of them feel what others are feeling and going through and watch how fast everyone's tune changes.

PS All elected officials at the state level should be on zero salary so long as their state has mandatory quarantining for anyone other than nursing home and long-term care patients.

Gov't employees who cannot do their job from home should be on unpaid furlough.

Gov't employees who can do their jobs 100% from home can continue to work full time and get paid full time.

Gov't employees who can do something from home, but not 100% of their job should be on rolling every-other-week furloughs.

Let all of them feel what others are feeling and going through and watch how fast everyone's tune changes.

PS All elected officials at the state level should be on zero salary so long as their state has mandatory quarantining for anyone other than nursing home and long-term care patients.
I'm sure government will enact those changes immediately...

The elderly need to stay their ass home. Everywhere I go I see old people chilling at bars and restaurants like they dont give a damn about the virus. Why should we?

I'm an oulde (50s), but a lot of the really ouldes have developed a "fvck it" attitude which I admire. My dad's 85 and said "if this is what takes me out then so be it". Ain't nothin' keeping him outta Cracker Barrel, the liquor store and his weekly poker game.

You can if the virus isn't really affecting people that actually drive the economy. So the virus kills another 200K people, most of which are retired. We'll be fine.

Some of you just don’t get it. It’s about consumers. It’s about traveling. It’s about eating out. Shopping in retail places. Not enough will be doing these things to bring the economy back. And yes, hospitalizations are going up for younger people meaning under 50. The above things I mentioned aren’t worth the risk for many.

Oh, I get it just fine. And if you can find a way to do all of the things you mentioned while allowing folks who have to work to survive work, people will grumble but deal with it. But nothing should be completely shutdown, nor should one person have the power to decide what is and isn't shutdown.

Nobody is arguing for a shutdown. The argument now is how do we slow this spread to remain open. Too many aren’t doing these things.

Then explain 20 million people still out of work that were laid off.

Wtf? Because tons of restaurants and retail shops have either closed up permanently or running on skeleton crews. Same with many large plants and pretty much the entire travel industry. Of course unemployment is still high. And if we follow the left's suggestion and start shutting back down then those unemployment numbers will soar even higher.

You're obviously financially comfortable. So am I as well as many others on this board. But like @hsvtiger34 has tried to explain to you, we don't reflect most of the country. You are on a fvcking island with your belief that it's far better to permanently cripple our economy vs the elderly running a risk of shortening their remaining time, which is already limited.

Not to sound harsh, but that's like spending thousands on a paint job for a car with 500,000 miles on it.

Wtf? Because tons of restaurants and retail shops have either closed up permanently or running on skeleton crews. Same with many large plants and pretty much the entire travel industry. Of course unemployment is still high. And if we follow the left's suggestion and start shutting back down then those unemployment numbers will soar even higher.

You're obviously financially comfortable. So am I as well as many others on this board. But like @hsvtiger34 has tried to explain to you, we don't reflect most of the country. You are on a fvcking island with your belief that it's far better to permanently cripple our economy vs the elderly running a risk of shortening their remaining time, which is already limited.

Not to sound harsh, but that's like spending thousands on a paint job for a car with 500,000 miles on it.

Why aren’t they coming back? Again, nobody is arguing for a shutdown. What I’m saying is we are Fvcking up again. Why are other countries bringing their cases down where it’s safe to open back up but we didn’t? Explain the EU destroying us on Covid now.

Why aren’t they coming back? Again, nobody is arguing for a shutdown. What I’m saying is we are Fvcking up again. Why are other countries bringing their cases down where it’s safe to open back up but we didn’t? Explain the EU destroying us on Covid now.
Because state governments won't let them come back. Are you under the impression that states are open without restrictions and businesses just aren't coming back because no one wants to buy their services? Restaurants generally operate at a 4% profit margin on average. The average restaurant is operating at a loss if you make then operate at 50% capacity.

And, to respond to @warchief64 , I actually have to work, unlike @Stumpfan . I haven't missed a paycheck since this started fortunately. The longer it drags out, that could change. None of my kids have missed a check either, which is a dang blessing (one is a teacher, one delivers for UPS).

Because state governments won't let them come back. Are you under the impression that states are open without restrictions and businesses just aren't coming back because no one wants to buy their services? Restaurants generally operate at a 4% profit margin on average. The average restaurant is operating at a loss if you make then operate at 50% capacity.

And, to respond to @warchief64 , I actually have to work, unlike @Stumpfan . I haven't missed a paycheck since this started fortunately. The longer it drags out, that could change. None of my kids have missed a check either, which is a dang blessing (one is a teacher, one delivers for UPS).

So you think restaurants and bars and retail places would be full if allowed to go full? Most can’t even fill what they are allowed to. Even chic-fil-a won’t open their dining room here but they are allowed to.

Off the top of my head, the mayor of Miami is arguing to shut back down. That was just this morning.

Look, I was fairly neutral at the onset of this because no one really knew what we were dealing with. Also for some selfish reasons like my 85 yo dad (already lost my mom and only sibling) and my secretary who is a breast cancer survivor. I cringed at aler's posts that stated we basically shouldn't change a damn thing. But you know what...he's probably right. Our economy cannot function on half ass re-openings. It just can't.

I really don't think it can be argued anymore that the only real solution is full steam ahead. By doing that then yes, we are going to lose elderly and some unhealthy younger people which is regrettable. But sometimes you have to pick the least shitty of two shitty choices.

I've never been a trekkie but Spock was right - the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Keep in mind you are dealing with a poster that has never really worked a day in his life.

Reactions: texasAUtiger
Off the top of my head, the mayor of Miami is arguing to shut back down. That was just this morning.

Look, I was fairly neutral at the onset of this because no one really knew what we were dealing with. Also for some selfish reasons like my 85 yo dad (already lost my mom and only sibling) and my secretary who is a breast cancer survivor. I cringed at aler's posts that stated we basically shouldn't change a damn thing. But you know what...he's probably right. Our economy cannot function on half ass re-openings. It just can't.

I really don't think it can be argued anymore that the only real solution is full steam ahead. By doing that then yes, we are going to lose elderly and some unhealthy younger people which is regrettable. But sometimes you have to pick the least shitty of two shitty choices.

I've never been a trekkie but Spock was right - the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

spot on post. Full steam ahead is far less impactful for county as a whole. This is coming from a business owner whose business is up 40 percent since this pandemic started. It’s actually lucrative to me for this to continue. Hate to see it for other people though.

Oh I still have to work too. We're just a lot better off than the majority who have less than $400 in the bank. Many of us could cruise a few months at least but the vast majority of people cannot. And every person I hear touting the shutdown could cruise for years without batting an eye.

Reactions: Robino26
ADVERTISEMENT