ADVERTISEMENT

Not going to lie boys... I saw crazy shit tonight..,

In other countries, they have been using several medications successfully to effectively cure addiction. One of the drugs they use for heroin addiction is Schedule 1 in the US because it's a hallucinogen. The other (for alcoholism) is readily available but generally is not prescribed for unknown reasons.
Curious, what drugs are you talking about?

I know Suboxone is used a lot for opiates here.

Curious, what drugs are you talking about?

I know Suboxone is used a lot for opiates here.

Ibogaine is the one for heroin. Naltrexone is the one used for alcohol. They've had great success with both in other countries. I think it's definitely worth trying, because what we're currently doing isn't working. Suboxone itself is an addictive substance, so to me that's like trading one addiction for another.

Yeah man. I only agreed to go to this after party because it's a solid middle class neighborhood. I walked into the kitchen to grab a beer and saw people just sitting around the table with needles and heroin. I never thought I'd see it. It's my fault for going, but I left immediately and walked about 4 miles home.
Good move to leave. But why did you walk 4 miles? No uber or taxi?

Reactions: plw0002
Good move to leave. But why did you walk 4 miles? No uber or taxi?
I guess I could have called a taxi. I think I was so stunned and still had a buzz from alcohol that I didn't even think about a taxi.

Reactions: fntiger
Ibogaine is the one for heroin. Naltrexone is the one used for alcohol. They've had great success with both in other countries. I think it's definitely worth trying, because what we're currently doing isn't working. Suboxone itself is an addictive substance, so to me that's like trading one addiction for another.
Ya, that's what I've heard about Suboxone as well.

Granted, but judging from the responses on this thread, not everybody knows there's a heroin epidemic happening in this state.

Touché

I went to high school in montgomery in the mid nineties, and we had a few on heroine then. The few I was aware of were the higher side of well to do. Also included old MGM families, which I'm not exactly sure what that means but I digress. (In the past few years I was talking to a prominent doctor in montgomery who changed his child's school over the amount of drugs, and specifically parents reactions and acceptance of the drug use.)

Reactions: pickeroo

"Acamprosate is the third medication, after disulfiram (Antabuse®) and naltrexone (ReVia®), to receive U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for postwithdrawal maintenance of alcohol abstinence. It is the first new medication approved for this purpose in a decade. FDA approved acamprosate in July 2004."

Clonidine is another generic drug that's been around that's primarily prescribed for hypertension, but also helps with alcohol withdrawals, general anxiety and even ADD. You won't hear a lot about generics like Acamprosate or Clonidine from physicians because the pharma reps aren't pushing them. I actually had a physician admit that fact to me when I asked that question.

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content/MS974/MS974.pdf

Reactions: griffna

Not sure how I feel about this. I understand it will prevent OD deaths, but people using heroin won't be productive members of society , and that should be the main goal (to me at least)

Reactions: AUmilo
Not sure how I feel about this. I understand it will prevent OD deaths, but people using heroin won't be productive members of society , and that should be the main goal (to me at least)
Yea, I agree, I'm skeptical about this whole idea but we know the system as it stands doesn't work so fvck it I guess we might as well try something else.

Like I said, I'm legitimately curious to see how this goes.

Touché

I went to high school in montgomery in the mid nineties, and we had a few on heroine then. The few I was aware of were the higher side of well to do. Also included old MGM families, which I'm not exactly sure what that means but I digress. (In the past few years I was talking to a prominent doctor in montgomery who changed his child's school over the amount of drugs, and specifically parents reactions and acceptance of the drug use.)

Yeah, I'm from the Gump also, but my lil bro lives in Mountain Brook and has two sons that went to Mt. Brook High. The problem is rampant there. Going to be honest here. I checked myself into rehab (on my own volition) on Christmas Eve, 2015 for alcohol abuse. The place I went to had maybe 35 residents and roughly half of them were heroin addicts, and almost all of them were from the Birmingham area! Two of the guys out of that small sample size went to Mt. Brook High with my nephews. While there, one of the counselors and three residents were kicked out for using heroin. Blew my mind!

Last edited:

Here you go playing doctor/pharmacist again. Leave the addiction counseling to psychiatrists and stick to doing taxes.

It's tough for me to understand this being in high schools..... Especially above average high schools. I've been around and done my fair share of drugs but at age 35, I've still never seen heroine. I guess times have changed.
Ditto on you're whole statement. Well I'm a few years younger.

ADVERTISEMENT