ADVERTISEMENT

Huntsville PD says they tear gassed a peaceful crowd as a "precaution"...

Yes and these geniuses don’t realize that when the city loses money taxes go up for everybody. And you will still have bad cops in every city. Just like you have bad criminals in every city. But if you try to abide by the law you don’t have to deal with bad cops. Bad criminals are equal opportunity sorry can’t help you there. Just stay away from suspect areas and mind your business.
Can you tell us what this therapist did wrong to end up being shot by a bad cop? Was he just in a bad area and brought it on himself?

Reactions: MattAU05
We have a long history of people engaging in peaceful civil disobedience in our country. The Civil Rights protesters never had permits for their marches in Birmingham and chose to march anyway and refused to disperse when ordered to do so by the police. Do you agree that they deserved to be gassed just like the protesters in Huntsville?

i am not engaging in that discussion. I am talking last night and that instance. I believe this as acceptable use of non lethal force. They were given extra time. They were told to disperse. Then city leaders fearing things get out of hands escalated the use of force.

Reactions: audeuce02
Thank you for confirming you are another supporter of Bull Connor's tactics. We need to get a list of everyone ITT who thinks gassing civil rights protesters who refused to disperse in the 1960s was fully justified.
If they are breaking the law then yes. It’s not complicated. Can you hold a protest and block streets without a permit? No it’s illegal. Just abide by laws and move along. Or don’t and suffer the consequences. But don’t complain about consequences after you break the law. That’s just ignorant talk.

You are trying to armchair QB this. I got a call today from the special events coordinator at Cotton Row, we have an event planned there tomorrow night. She said that fortunately the LEA’s handled the situation before it erupted. When they got to work this morning they did find weapons, bricks, and other items on their patio. Cotton Row is across the street from the courthouse. I think we saw the best possible outcome despite what someone sitting behind a computer screen thinks.
It's all on video. You don't have to take any one's word for it. The video shows the protest was completely peaceful the 8 minutes before the police opened fire. Anyone who tells you there were caches of weapons stashed around that the peaceful protesters just hadn't gotten around to using yet is almost certainly lying. That makes zero sense.

If they are breaking the law then yes. It’s not complicated. Can you hold a protest and block streets without a permit? No it’s illegal. Just abide by laws and move along. Or don’t and suffer the consequences. But don’t complain about consequences after you break the law. That’s just ignorant talk.
As I have told others, I appreciate you being honest about fully supporting Bull Connor's tactics to break up the civil rights protests in Birmingham. Just like the people in Huntsville last night, these demonstrators were on the street without a permit and refused to disperse.
1*Pm2jfvwK69QFEdCbW9JD1g.jpeg

birmingham-hose.jpg

May2Davidson-335x219.jpg

Can you tell us what this therapist did wrong to end up being shot by a bad cop? Was he just in a bad area and brought it on himself?
Was he told to leave? Yes! Was he warned? Yes! Did he understand consequences? Yes! He made his decision and he got his results. I hope it made a difference. To me it just seems that there are too many people that dont want to abide by the laws. You are making the cops look better by this. The cops didn’t do anything until someone broke the law. They didn’t react to name calling and vulgar talk.
If you can’t see this then sorry. Can’t help you.

Was he told to leave? Yes! Was he warned? Yes! Did he understand consequences? Yes! He made his decision and he got his results. I hope it made a difference. To me it just seems that there are too many people that dont want to abide by the laws. You are making the cops look better by this. The cops didn’t do anything until someone broke the law. They didn’t react to name calling and vulgar talk.
If you can’t see this then sorry. Can’t help you.
Dear lourde. Did you watch the video? The guy was a therapist trying to help a mentally disabled patient and you think it was his fault he got shot? That is a staggering level of stupidity.

You are trying to armchair QB this. I got a call today from the special events coordinator at Cotton Row, we have an event planned there tomorrow night. She said that fortunately the LEA’s handled the situation before it erupted. When they got to work this morning they did find weapons, bricks, and other items on their patio. Cotton Row is across the street from the courthouse. I think we saw the best possible outcome despite what someone sitting behind a computer screen thinks.

Lol. The old planted weapon line.

As I have told others, I appreciate you being honest about fully supporting Bull Connor's tactics to break up the civil rights protests in Birmingham. Just like the people in Huntsville last night, these demonstrators were on the street without a permit and refused to disperse.
1*Pm2jfvwK69QFEdCbW9JD1g.jpeg

birmingham-hose.jpg

May2Davidson-335x219.jpg
So you are saying those people were breaking the law? Correct

Your mindset is squarely in the 1960s when many people agreed with you and saw now issue with gassing or firing rubber bullets at anyone engaged in peaceful civil disobedience. Whether you like it or not, most of our society no longer supports the tactics Bull Connor used on Civil Rights demonstrators who engaged in civil disobedience. You are entitled to your opinion on this and I am entitled to point out it is completely antiquated and embarrassing.

At last, a bit of honesty. You are certainly entitled.

You continue to frame your argument for an audience of one. Do you think that I or anybody else will submit to your world view just because you say so... or you really, really want it to be true. Why would I or anyone take your argument at face value. Do you think it’s your character? Lol!! Maybe it’s your track record of being thoughtful and discerning with your political speech and bias, or your incredible track record of being proven correct..

No. None of those things. Just a douche with a mouse and keyboard. GFY Race Baiter.

Facts don’t lie..
Time is up? The Michigan capital protesters had no permit. They were all armed and screaming at police officers. Thank you for making it clear you are the type of hypocrite who thinks civil rights protesters chanting "hands up, don't shoot" should be gassed and shot with rubber bullets while this dude is a patriot exercising his sacred right to free speech.

4000.jpg
Cash said he wasn't yelling at the state troopers seen in the photo – "I didn't scream in anybody's face" – but at an officer positioned behind them who he said he saw assault a woman the day before. Three women were removed from the public gallery for the state House of Representatives on April 29. The incident was caught on video, showing a woman being forcibly removed. The incident prompted an announcement by the Michigan State Police that it was investigating the confrontation between individuals and House police.

The next day, when the now-infamous photo of him was taken, Cash said he was in the Capitol when he saw the officer.

"I was there chanting, 'Let us in,' and I saw that guy and I just, I just kind of lost it a little bit," Cash said. He said that he was asking the man, whom he called a "red coat," a reference to the red coats they wear, "if he wanted to try to throw me around like he did that girl yesterday."

So you are saying those people were breaking the law? Correct
giphy.gif

As I said before, I am honestly shocked how many Bull Connor supporters there are on this board. I honestly never would have imagined this.

Dear lourde. Did you watch the video? The guy was a therapist trying to help a mentally disabled patient and you think it was his fault he got shot? That is a staggering level of stupidity.
Why was he out protesting after the permit expired. That’s illegal. Is he mentally unstable? Heck everybody in town knew to stay away from this area after dark. It was well publicized. Again you can’t explain away breaking the law.

giphy.gif

As I said before, I am honestly shocked how many Bull Connor supporters there are on this board. I honestly never would have imagined this.
Who is bull Connor? Never mind I don’t care.
Please answer my question. Thanks

Good lourde, this is embarrassing. Run along before you find a way to be wrong about anything else.
Haven’t been wrong yet. The quotes weren’t in your original post. It’s that simple. You said they admitted it and they hadn’t yet. You’ve embarrassed yourself lately and continue to do so. Problem is you don’t see it that way and never will.

Who is bull Connor? Never mind I don’t care.
Please answer my question. Thanks
BqR.gif

Bull Connor was the Birmingham Public Safety Commissioner who brutally suppressed the peaceful civil rights demonstrations in Birmingham. We have a long history of people engaging in peaceful civil disobedience in our country. That obviously includes protesting without a permit.

Haven’t been wrong yet. The quotes weren’t in your original post. It’s that simple. You said they admitted it and they hadn’t yet. You’ve embarrassed yourself lately and continue to do so. Problem is you don’t see it that way and never will.
You repeatedly claimed HPD didn't use tear gas and the media was falsely claiming they had. The statement from HPD posted in my OP makes it clear they used tear gas. The HPD chief spoke today and confirmed they used tear gas. Obviously I couldn't include that quote in my OP because posted the thread last night. You could not have possibly been more wrong on this. Please, do yourself a favor and stop doubling down. This is embarrassing.

BqR.gif

Bull Connor was the Birmingham Public Safety Commissioner who brutally suppressed the peaceful civil rights demonstrations in Birmingham. We have a long history of people engaging in peaceful civil disobedience in our country. That obviously includes protesting without a permit.
Well if you can’t answer my simple question then I’m done. You obviously understand they were breaking the law and you think that is OK. That is a big problem with today’s youth.

Well if you can’t answer my simple question then I’m done. You obviously understand they were breaking the law and you think that is OK. That is a big problem with today’s youth.
I answered your question. Protesting without a permit is called civil disobedience. We have a long history of people exercising their right to free speech through civil disobedience in our country. The protesters who were attacked with fire hoses, gas and dogs in Birmingham were engaged in civil disobedience. That's why Martin Luther King ended up in the Birmingham Jail. I am honestly surprised there are so many ITT who would have sided with Bull Connor over the civil rights protesters. What they did was illegal based on the racist laws on the books, but they were obviously morally justified in fighting for equal rights.

I just wanted to pop in and say that I truly hate it when people say “just obey the law.” There is such in authoritarian, pro-government-infallibility tint to that. Would you have said the same about harboring run away slaves or banning minorities whites only areas? I sure hope not, even if it was the law.

I think in situations where we are debating whether or not the government should’ve done something or should not have done something we need to make sure that we are not talking legally but are talking morally. If the law is immoral or enforcement of the law is immoral it does not matter what the law is. We not only have a right to disobey and protest against unjust laws, we have a duty to do so. Note, that I’m not talking about rioting.

I have no respect for unjust laws. None.

I just wanted to pop in and say that I truly hate it when people say “just obey the law.” There is such in authoritarian, pro-government-infallibility tint to that. Would you have said the same about harboring run away slaves or banning minorities whites only areas? I sure hope not, even if it was the law.

I think in situations where we are debating whether or not the government should’ve done something or should not have done something we need to make sure that we are not talking legally but are talking morally. If the law is immoral or enforcement of the law is immoral it does not matter what the law is. We not only have a right to disobey and protest against unjust laws, we have a duty to do so. Note, that I’m not talking about rioting.

Well said. I am incredibly disappointed by how many people ITT think peaceful protesters should be gassed and shot with rubber bullets because they overstayed their permit. I honestly thought there was pretty wide acceptance that peaceful civil disobedience is a hallmark of our democracy. I am quite certain that the same people cheering for the Huntsville protesters to be attacked would have been outraged if they had agreed with the protesters message. Free speech shouldn't be a partisan issue in our country. I certainly didn't agree with the message behind the shutdown protests, but I would have been furious if anyone had gassed or fired rubber bullets on people who were peacefully engaging in civil disobedience.

IF THE POLICE SAYS GET YOU BETTER GET

Well said. I am incredibly disappointed by how many people ITT think peaceful protesters should be gassed and shot with rubber bullets because they overstayed their permit. I honestly thought there was pretty wide acceptance that peaceful civil disobedience is a hallmark of our democracy. I am quite certain that the same people cheering for the Huntsville protesters to be attacked would have been outraged if they had agreed with the protesters message. Free speech shouldn't be a partisan issue in our country. I certainly didn't agree with the message behind the shutdown protests, but I would have been furious if anyone had gassed or fired rubber bullets on people who were peacefully engaging in civil disobedience.

I wouldn’t care if those folks stood on the courthouse square for DAYS. Has no impact on my life whatsoever.
But are you oblivious to what happened just 2hrs down the road Sunday night about 9pm? Do you think it’s okay to destroy businesses in the name of justice for George Floyd?
Those were the same peaceful protests earlier on Sunday and when the sun went down and they were told to leave the park... the bad apples did what the do. The local HSV authorities decided to not even chance it and said in their old man voice GET OFF MY LAWN.

Yeah they got a lil rowdy once the police started firing rubber bullets.
Perhaps they did. But their mere presence is violence. You ever hear of the coronavirus? @DM8 talks about it all the time. At first I thought, “This lady is on tilt.” But she won me over; I think it’s a deadly-serious issue now.

There were almost certainly infected people at that rally, who were spreading the virus, who will in turn spread the virus, and so on. They are causing physical harm to others; maybe even killing people in time. That sounds like violence to me. Thank The Good Lord the officers dispersed them before they could wreak further harm.

I say no more protests until we have a vaccine. And maybe not even then.

I wouldn’t care if those folks stood on the courthouse square for DAYS. Has no impact on my life whatsoever.
But are you oblivious to what happened just 2hrs down the road Sunday night about 9pm? Do you think it’s okay to destroy businesses in the name of justice for George Floyd?
Those were the same peaceful protests earlier on Sunday and when the sun went down and they were told to leave the park... the bad apples did what the do. The local HSV authorities decided to not even chance it and said in their old man voice GET OFF MY LAWN.
Your explanation is nearly identical to Bull Connor defending his brutal tactics against peaceful protesters in Birmingham. There were drastically more riots across our country in the 1960s and Connor's supporters said those justified the dogs and fire hoses. Well done.

af84fcc7-dc32-444c-bd07-203cf1401811-23352734_BG2.jpg

"As I have said on numerous occasions, we are not going to stand for this in Birmingham. And if necessary we will fill the jail full and we don't care whose toes we step on. I am saying now to these meddlers from out of our city the best thing for them to do is stay out if they don't want to get slapped in jail. Our people of Birmingham are a peaceful people and we never have any trouble here unless some people come into our city looking for trouble. And I've never seen anyone yet look for trouble who wasn't able to find it”

Your explanation is nearly identical to Bull Connor defending his brutal tactics against peaceful protesters in Birmingham. There were drastically more riots across our country in the 1960s and Connor's supporters said those justified the dogs and fire hoses. Well done.

af84fcc7-dc32-444c-bd07-203cf1401811-23352734_BG2.jpg

"As I have said on numerous occasions, we are not going to stand for this in Birmingham. And if necessary we will fill the jail full and we don't care whose toes we step on. I am saying now to these meddlers from out of our city the best thing for them to do is stay out if they don't want to get slapped in jail. Our people of Birmingham are a peaceful people and we never have any trouble here unless some people come into our city looking for trouble. And I've never seen anyone yet look for trouble who wasn't able to find it”

I’m concerned you have an obsession with Bull as well as old black and white photos at this point.

Perhaps they did. But their mere presence is violence. You ever hear of the coronavirus? @DM8 talks about it all the time. At first I thought, “This lady is on tilt.” But she won me over; I think it’s a deadly-serious issue now.

There were almost certainly infected people at that rally, who were spreading the virus, who will in turn spread the virus, and so on. They are causing physical harm to others; maybe even killing people in time. That sounds like violence to me. Thank The Good Lord the officers dispersed them before they could wreak further harm.

I say no more protests until we have a vaccine. And maybe not even then.
Xae.gif

Reactions: DM8
I’m concerned you have an obsession with Bull as well as old black and white photos at this point.
I am concerned that you and many others ITT believe Bull Connor was right to use violence on civil rights protesters because they didn't have a permit and riots had occurred elsewhere in the country.

@DM8 do you have a problem with cops using tear gas to disperse a non-permitted protest from blocking rights of way?

If so, how do you propose law enforcement handle the situation, aside from allowing the protesters to break the law?

No, the looting wasn’t ok. But you don’t punish Group A for being peaceful because of what Group B did, or what Group C might do.

I don’t think it is either/or, but if it was, I would rather fear bad actions from other citizens than fear that peaceful protestors will be gassed and brutalized by our government. Government violence and government wrongs are vastly more serious from a macro/societal standpoint than violence and wrongs from private citizens.

And no, I don’t have a great answer for how to allow peaceful protests without allow them to turn into riots. I wish I did. But I’m quite confident in saying that a militarized police force preemptively gassing and brutalizing people who are, at the time, peaceful is NOT NOR WILL IT EVER BE THE ANSWER. Not in a nation where The People are sovereign.

@DM8 do you have a problem with cops using tear gas to disperse a non-permitted protest from blocking rights of way?

If so, how do you propose law enforcement handle the situation, aside from allowing the protesters to break the law?
I am not sure that's relevant to last night given that the protesters were standing around a courthouse square, not a major road or highway. They could have certainly been allowed to stand around there until they got tired and went home without causing a traffic issue.

To your point generally though, that's very simple. Tell them anyone who doesn't disperse will be detained and move in with zip ties. That's how large crowds of peaceful protesters engaging in civil disobedience are dealt with on a regular basis in our country. There is never an excuse for police to initiate violence against a peaceful crowd.

Screen_Shot_2017-09-21_at_9.33.15_PM.original.png

UROE3KU5FEI6TBTCTP6SHM4H5A.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

UsVSPDd0XyCUvKL9Q1fSlUTwLoaBsqpPNtpHiWe4-ezI_3pnU4qZwfeizvRCUK0wXabZ3tWISPGcxekpeDNs56doWwBS08zbMto7pwdblKdwB2n25K65Hcm0-sYvSKm3VNFt

And no, I don’t have a great answer for how to allow peaceful protests without allow them to turn into riots. I wish I did. But I’m quite confident in saying that a militarized police force preemptively gassing and brutalizing people who are, at the time, peaceful is NOT NOR WILL EVER BE THE ANSWER. Not in a nation where The People are sovereign.
tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT