ADVERTISEMENT

COVID Thread: It’s sad that USA isn’t pushing personal fitness and being less fat

healthy food is expensive.
there are a lot of poor people.
there are a lot of fat people.
some poor people are not fat.
some fat people are not poor.
the lifestyle we’ve created as the norm in this country does not lend itself to healthy habits in general.
This. Americans made eating a social thing. You don’t tailgate without a massive spread.

IKR fatty vaccines for everyone - think of the money that could be made

oh and the lives saved from obesity also
It’s interesting to look at the average size of “ the Walmart crowd “ as opposed to the average size of folk walking around in Buckhead . I think a lot of it is simply positive peer pressure. When you are around a high percentage of slim / somewhat fit folks , you tend to be careful of the food intake…

As a very important part of beating COVID… Everywhere you look, you see the glorification of being obese or body positivity nonsense. It’s probably the main reason Covid is lingering like it is here.

Absolutely. 78% of those hospitalized or that died were in fact, Fat/Obese. Strangely enough, the obese/fat folks are a lot of the Karen’s and self appointed CoVid/vaccine experts. Bottom line, if you’re fat stfu with any information. Get yourself healthy. WDE

This all changed with delta. See the date of your graph. A former First Lady in the WH pushed it for years btw. Americans don’t want to hear about it though.
The obesity epidemic is real. She used it to further a political agenda.

It’s not just diabetes, it’s all medicine in general. Medical treatment is the largest money maker in world.

I also think a large portion of the problem is people aren’t nearly as active as previous generations. A good example is the construction industry used to be a common job, now most of the physical portions are filled with foreign labor.

Also very few people eat home cooked meals anymore (which are typically healthier). It’s easier for people just to grab food to go.

This is such a false statement. I mean, you're telling me eating healthy (usually involves eating less) is more expensive? Have you seen how cheap the fruits and vegetables section at walmart is?

I really don't comprehend this common statement. Not trying to be a dick to fat people, I'm overweight. But healthy food is not expensive.
This is a pretty good explanation. Wal-Mart produce is straight-up, Mexican pesticide laced garbage, BTW.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/44678/19980_eib96.pdf?v=42321

Reactions: Auburn93 and DFY04
Not amazing that you would take nutritional and health advice from a fat ass pre-diabetic who couldn't walk 200 yds without sitting down, because you both share the same adolescent political philosophies.

Reactions: hsvtiger34
This. Americans made eating a social thing. You don’t tailgate without a massive spread.
Americans are decidedly not social eaters. We are the least social eaters of any developed nation, by far.

There are no/very few drive-through windows in the vast majority of the world. People in Europe and Asia are appalled by the idea of eating in a car or eating alone. American eat alone all the time, sitting in their cars or cubicles, or in front of a screen.

Americans eat too fast, too often, too alone, and too much at one time.

Americans are decidedly not social eaters. We are the least social eaters of any developed nation, by far.

There are no/very few drive-through windows in the vast majority of the world. People in Europe and Asia are appalled by the idea of eating in a car or eating alone. American eat alone all the time, sitting in their cars or cubicles, or in front of a screen.

GTFO

• Haha
Reactions: jm_a_c59
Not amazing that you would take nutritional and health advice from a fat ass pre-diabetic who couldn't walk 200 yds without sitting down, because you both share the same adolescent political philosophies.
Lol. She can do more push-ups than your old fat ass. I think the lunch program part was a mistake btw.

• Haha
Reactions: Rusty Strings

I think you’re projecting on eating alone at dinner anyway.

Agree with most all of these posts.

It’s not just about unhealthy food being cheaper and easier to access. Like Stump said…you can eat healthy without breaking the bank. It’s about unhealthy food like sugar and carbs being very addicting to the brain. So It’s very difficult for a lot of people to make wholesale lifestyle changes in how they eat. Especially for those who are uneducated. It’s also a cultural/family thing in a lot of cases, so a lot of people don’t know any better or don’t even see it as an issue.

I think the body positivity movement is a much smaller factor, because I think most people still would prefer to be skinny as far as physical appearance, but I do think it’s a layer of positive reinforcement for eating bad for some people.

Sedentary lifestyle is also a major problem. It’s way easier to sit on the couch and watch Netflix than go for a run. It’s also comforting to a lot of people in age where we have extremely high rates of depression and anxiety.

What people need to understand is eating crap and watching TV all the time is actually making them feel more lethargic and depressed over time. Body isn’t getting the nutrients it needs and exercise is scientifically proven to improve your mood.

Reactions: DFY04
Bahahahahahahahahahahaha! Lose weight and you are guaranteed not to get the VID 19 bahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bassman
It’s interesting to look at the average size of “ the Walmart crowd “ as opposed to the average size of folk walking around in Buckhead . I think a lot of it is simply positive peer pressure. When you are around a high percentage of slim / somewhat fit folks , you tend to be careful of the food intake…
I agree with this--my grand kids go to a private school. Trinity, in Montgomery and i see very few obese kids--drive a few blocks to Robert E Lee and some of the black girls there look like Brodarius Hamm

You don’t have to eat the entire spread. If you eat one serving and don’t drink a case of beer, so

Agree. You don’t have to eat the entire spread. However, 1500-2000 calories is easily eclipsed when drinking beer. 6 beers easily puts you at 25% of that intake.

I’ve been through drive-thru’s in England, Hungary and Japan. What are you talking about? They weren’t there for American tourist who enjoy eating in their car.

We are social eaters because we go to football games hours in advance to cook, eat and drink and mostly spend more time doing that than the actual game itself.

We eat after funerals. We eat at parties. We cater and eat at and during meetings. Your given a snack on a 3 hour flight. What is the last “event” or “get-together” that you went too where there was no food? Sure, they may be some, but by and large, food is part of the gathering.

I do not dispute your comment about eating to fast and would argue that, that too is an American culture thing.

I work in rural areas and the people there don't travel to go to grocery stores. They use Dollar General and Family Dollar as their grocery store. There isn't a lot of quality food in either. Most is calorically dense, sodium laden with a high glycemic index.

These people aren't getting the nutrients their body needs to function efficiently. They end up eating more calories in an attempt to get better nutrients. It unfortunately harms them in the long run. When you eat that way, it changes your microbiome for the worse. That is what mostly dictates our health and until they change it, they are destine to poor health.

Reactions: aulax08 and AUchiro
Agree. You don’t have to eat the entire spread. However, 1500-2000 calories is easily eclipsed when drinking beer. 6 beers easily puts you at 25% of that intake.

I’ve been through drive-thru’s in England, Hungary and Japan. What are you talking about? They weren’t there for American tourist who enjoy eating in their car.

We are social eaters because we go to football games hours in advance to cook, eat and drink and mostly spend more time doing that than the actual game itself.

We eat after funerals. We eat at parties. We cater and eat at and during meetings. Your given a snack on a 3 hour flight. What is the last “event” or “get-together” that you went too where there was no food? Sure, they may be some, but by and large, food is part of the gathering.

I do not dispute your comment about eating to fast and would argue that, that too is an American culture thing.
Eating at social events is not the same as social eating. Social eating (dinner/lunch with friends, family, associates) is different than feasting. Every culture eats (feasts) at weddings and funerals and parties and events, and always has. Not every culture is fat.

The point is that eating at social events has no impact on the obesity epidemic or the eating habits of the typical American. Being with people and being observed tends to regulate and moderate behaviors positively, not increase bad behaviors. This is not a phenomenon in dispute.

Eating alone is much more common than feasting. No one sits down at dinner with friends or at a tail-gate or wedding or funeral, and eats a whole quart of ice cream or a whole bag of chips. Lots of people do that when they are alone though, as evidenced by all the fat people everywhere. Our problem is not social eating as much as anti-social eating.

The same “demographics” who don’t want to get vaxxed are the most obese Americans and BOY LET ME TELL YOU that conversation will never happen with this political environment.

I totally disagree about the demographics. I know many who won’t get the jab and most, by far, are not nearly obese. You may be right that the majority are but the majority of most any group are obese in this country.

But to say that the people who won’t get the shot are all fat and stupid is absolutely incorrect. I know that’s not exactly what you said.

Today’s culture is about making people think it’s okay to be overweight. It’s generally something you should be working to prevent, not something that should be acceptable.
I think it's a good instinct not to indicate health and beauty. However, I think I agree with this point

I totally disagree about the demographics. I know many who won’t get the jab and most, by far, are not nearly obese. You may be right that the majority are but the majority of most any group are obese in this country.

But to say that the people who won’t get the shot are all fat and stupid is absolutely incorrect. I know that’s not exactly what you said.
I mean the least vaccinated states are the most obese: Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana's. If less than half the state is vaccinated then that's a representative sample, so whatever the % of obesity in AL that's probably somewhere in the ballpark of the obese/overweight unvaccinated.

OPs whole point was most people in the ICUs dying have comorbidities and a lot of those could be reduced with diet and exercise

Reactions: Bassman
No, I just marvel at your hate for anybody not aligned with your beliefs.
You are so full of shit and and so fundamentally dishonest that it beggars description.

You held up a fat ass as a paragon of fitness. I pointed out how fn dumb that was, and you call me fat, which is hilarious on several levels.

I get that someone as physically unimpressive as you, what with yore wonky eye and yore pencil neck, struggles with their inadequacies, but I’m not the cause of your angst.

Reactions: hsvtiger34
You are so full of shit and and so fundamentally dishonest that it beggars description.

You held up a fat ass as a paragon of fitness. I pointed out how fn dumb that was, and you call me fat, which is hilarious on several levels.

I get that someone as physically unimpressive as you, what with yore wonky eye and yore pencil neck, struggles with their inadequacies, but I’m not the cause of your angst.
Fatty tubs of fvck will always opt for the easiest solution…a pill, a shot, a drive thru, over what takes more time and effort (an active lifestyle, a gym, preparing meals). Zinc, vitamin D, sun, and exercise took a backseat to stay in your house, get no sun, get even fatter/depressed, and wait for a vaccine.

Plus, believe it or not, you get a lot of exercise tailgating. It’s hot af, you’re standing all day, and walking around… you probably burn 1000 calories for a night game in early October.

I think it's a good instinct not to indicate health and beauty. However, I think I agree with this point
It’s natural for humans to do that though. You can’t break how we are coded. We want to reproduce with a healthy person… not a 600lb whale.

She’s not fat and lol at the rest. No inadequacies here, big boy.

This is a pretty good explanation. Wal-Mart produce is straight-up, Mexican pesticide laced garbage, BTW.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/44678/19980_eib96.pdf?v=42321
Alright fair. But Walmart isn't the only store with a vegetables section. I just arbitrarily picked walamrt as an example. You can go to other supermarkets. Or go to a farmers market. And can still get a ton of fruits and vegetables for cheap.

Healthy food isn't expensive. It just isn't.

Not with a Little Rosie’s in town. Schools could throw out half of the worthless-assed curriculums that no one will ever use and focus on classes like health/physical fitness as well as financial independence and how/why to stay out of debt. Instead, they’ll learn about pronouns and what a shitty country they live in while stuffing their fat little faces with Chick-fil-a…

You must be talking about some school I've never come into contact with ... except for the CFA part.

This has turned into a great thread. I think there is growing sentiment that agrees with Cap’s OP. There are also, as mentioned clusters of people-regardless of demographics-that see this differently. A lot more Twitter posts like this are showing up lately:

There's a massive overlap between the obese/don't want to be vaccinated groups.

That being said, obese people are already effectively shamed in our society. They just don't care anymore.

The healthy/don't want to be vaccinated aren't used to being shamed and take it more personally.

Reactions: Stumpfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT