ADVERTISEMENT

COVID Thread: It’s sad that USA isn’t pushing personal fitness and being less fat

That SNL skit was dead on. Throw in Mexicans too.
The guy that does things around my house like painting, etc got fat as shit since I met him 5 years ago. I looked at this sugar drink he left behind. He drank like 4 of them. Straight sugar. We joke around. I said you can’t drink this stuff all day! He laughed. Dude works his ass off and has 4 kids. He is just looking for pleasure in something. People look to food and sugar many times. I caught myself doing it during the first month of Covid. Sugar is addicting as shit.

Dude, I have a doctorate, and I still don’t get a physical more than once every 5 years . Like you said it’s not that simple. We are making judgments on large groups of people. Sometimes they are accurate, sometimes not so much
That just I posted probably matches the least vaccinated states. Obviously, it’s not all of them but on avg, these groups just don’t care much about their health.

It’s not just diabetes, it’s all medicine in general. Medical treatment is the largest money maker in world.

I also think a large portion of the problem is people aren’t nearly as active as previous generations. A good example is the construction industry used to be a common job, now most of the physical portions are filled with foreign labor.

Also very few people eat home cooked meals anymore (which are typically healthier). It’s easier for people just to grab food to go.
It’s also portion sizes and sugar.

Matt, are our children fat in this country or are they starving? I can’t keep track of it

Both. They're fat because non-nutritious food (carbs, fat) is readily available while nutritious foods are not. So while they aren't literally starving, their bodies certainly aren't getting what they need to keep them healthy and mentally sharp in many cases.

Reactions: hunter48
There is an odd demographic of folks who don't trust the vaccine, but are otherwise hyper-compliant with COVID protocols, religiously masking, distancing, avoiding crowds, etc.
I have a close pharmacist friend in that group

Reactions: Bassman
Both. They're fat because non-nutritious food (carbs, fat) is readily available while nutritious foods are not. So while they aren't literally starving, their bodies certainly aren't getting what they need to keep them healthy and mentally sharp in many cases.
So they’re not literally starving though right

@Bassman would you say the kids have it “too good” with the calories provided in the public school lunches?

There is an odd demographic of folks who don't trust the vaccine, but are otherwise hyper-compliant with COVID protocols, religiously masking, distancing, avoiding crowds, etc.
Very small group by percentage. Most polls show huge overlap between anti mask and anti vaccine.

They aren’t being forced out of their houses by mom to ride your bike around the neighborhood all day anymore. You needed the carbs back then…. Now? Definitely not. I was reading something this week on how our activities in our developmental period have drastically changed but our diet hasn’t, hence more fatty kids.

Here are the states with the highest rates of obesity:

1. Mississippi
  2. West Virginia
  3. Arkansas
  4. Tennessee
  5. Kentucky
  6. South Carolina
  7. Louisiana
  8. Oklahoma
  9. Alabama
  10. Michigan
I’m liking this post because I thought AL was always in the top 3 for fatties...slugging it out with MS and AR.

It’s not just diabetes, it’s all medicine in general. Medical treatment is the largest money maker in world.

I also think a large portion of the problem is people aren’t nearly as active as previous generations. A good example is the construction industry used to be a common job, now most of the physical portions are filled with foreign labor.

Also very few people eat home cooked meals anymore (which are typically healthier). It’s easier for people just to grab food to go.
Yep and kids are nowhere near as active. My whole neighborhood was out the door after breakfast and not back home until dark

I think you were saying blacks are largely responsible for that list. US is 13.4. So only 3 of 10 are very black. 3 are very white. Others are pretty avg.

1. Mississippi (37% black)
  2. West Virginia (3.4% black)
  3. Arkansas (15.6%)
  4. Tennessee (16.7 )
  5. Kentucky (8%)
  6. South Carolina (27)
  7. Louisiana (32)
  8. Oklahoma (7.8)
  9. Alabama (26.8)
  10. Michigan (14)

Yep and kids are nowhere near as active. My whole neighborhood was out the door after breakfast and not back home until dark
I saw these three teens at beach last week. 15-16 year old males. Dudes didn’t even have farmer tans in late July. Playing x box all summer probably.

Reactions: warchief64
I’m not going to lie to you, I was hella pissed when that happened. My school’s cookies were the shit when Bush was president, but after the healthier lunches were implemented, they sucked. Now that I’m not working out and going to football practice everyday, I see the benefit in the less sugary lunches.
Damn glad my school
The guy that does things around my house like painting, etc got fat as shit since I met him 5 years ago. I looked at this sugar drink he left behind. He drank like 4 of them. Straight sugar. We joke around. I said you can’t drink this stuff all day! He laughed. Dude works his ass off and has 4 kids. He is just looking for pleasure in something. People look to food and sugar many times. I caught myself doing it during the first month of Covid. Sugar is addicting as shit.
Work and sweat require other than water. I think there might be be a Doc alert in here

healthy food is expensive.
there are a lot of poor people.
there are a lot of fat people.
some poor people are not fat.
some fat people are not poor.
the lifestyle we’ve created as the norm in this country does not lend itself to healthy habits in general.
It’s easy to not be a fat. Very very easy.

Damn glad my school

Work and sweat require other than water. I think there might be be a Doc alert in here
This stuff was some Mexican drink. Had crazy sugar. Made Gatorade look like water.

Was reading a bit ago that delta is strikely rather indiscriminately...old, young, it doesn't care. The original version was mostly serious only in people that were older or had comorbidities (a word I hadn't heard of until COVID times, mind you). One person with delta infects 5-8 other people. The original R0 for COVID was 2-3.

IOW, we all going to get infected. The vast majority of those vaccinated will handle it like a champ. Those who aren't are taking their lives into their own hands, and the rest of ours with them.
Lives onto their own hands. Laugh tf out loud!!

Deaths up from about 200 a day to now 560 in about a month or so. Hopefully, we don’t get to 1000 a day but we could. Hospitalizations climbing rapidly. I’m sorry you don’t want to hear it.
There’s some that will just never reach a point that this is taken seriously. I suspect that they’ve yet to lose a loved one to this.

I'd much rather read about an obese person asking for respect than some shithead on social media who goes to CrossFit and believes he is morally superior to all.

Reactions: BeatBama60
Yeah but you’ve gotta have the want to, and a lot of those body types gave up years ago.

It may not be hard to not be fat but it still takes time and effort to change all of the bad habits they’ve probably had forever

Reactions: SCtiger12
Not with a Little Rosie’s in town. Schools could throw out half of the worthless-assed curriculums that no one will ever use and focus on classes like health/physical fitness as well as financial independence and how/why to stay out of debt. Instead, they’ll learn about pronouns and what a shitty country they live in while stuffing their fat little faces with Chick-fil-a…

Damn, I've agreed with Stump on two posts in this thread. What is the world coming to? It's ironic that CrossFit was mentioned in this post. The bottom line problem with COVID is oxidative stress at the cellular level. CrossFit is one of the activities that increases oxidative stress at the cellular level. Excessive weight training, running long distances, obesity, and elevated blood sugar are a few of the things that increase oxidative stress at the cellular level. They would all increase your chances of having a negative outcome from COVID.

Reactions: DFY04
healthy food is expensive.
This is such a false statement. I mean, you're telling me eating healthy (usually involves eating less) is more expensive? Have you seen how cheap the fruits and vegetables section at walmart is?

I really don't comprehend this common statement. Not trying to be a dick to fat people, I'm overweight. But healthy food is not expensive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT