ADVERTISEMENT

COVID Thread: It’s sad that USA isn’t pushing personal fitness and being less fat

As a very important part of beating COVID… Everywhere you look, you see the glorification of being obese or body positivity nonsense. It’s probably the main reason Covid is lingering like it is here.

This all changed with delta. See the date of your graph. A former First Lady in the WH pushed it for years btw. Americans don’t want to hear about it though.

This all changed with delta. See the date of your graph. A former First Lady in the WH pushed it for years btw. Americans don’t want to hear about it though.
Not really. There is zero logic or scientific research that refutes that being not fat makes you more prepared to fight off viruses. Obviously some people will still die, but it helps. That is one of the few known facts in the fight against Covid.

Not really. There is zero logic or scientific research that refutes that being not fat makes you more prepared to fight off viruses. Obviously some people will still die, but it helps. That is one of the few known facts in the fight against Covid.
Of course but Delta still hitting the younger harder. It’s a losing battle though. We are a fat country. It ain’t changing. Do you remember the videos of kids pretending to starve when they tried to make school lunches more healthy.

Also a lot of the people dying now are those who didn’t get vaccinated

Was reading a bit ago that delta is strikely rather indiscriminately...old, young, it doesn't care. The original version was mostly serious only in people that were older or had comorbidities (a word I hadn't heard of until COVID times, mind you). One person with delta infects 5-8 other people. The original R0 for COVID was 2-3.

IOW, we all going to get infected. The vast majority of those vaccinated will handle it like a champ. Those who aren't are taking their lives into their own hands, and the rest of ours with them.

Reactions: Uncle Baby Billy
Of course but Delta still hitting the younger harder. It’s a losing battle though. We are a fat country. It ain’t changing. Do you remember the videos of kids pretending to starve when they tried to make school lunches more healthy.
I’m not going to lie to you, I was hella pissed when that happened. My school’s cookies were the shit when Bush was president, but after the healthier lunches were implemented, they sucked. Now that I’m not working out and going to football practice everyday, I see the benefit in the less sugary lunches.

I’m not going to lie to you, I was hella pissed when that happened. My school’s cookies were the shit when Bush was president, but after the healthier lunches were implemented, they sucked. Now that I’m not working out and going to football practice everyday, I see the benefit in the less sugary lunches.
Targeting childhood obesity by making hungry children hungrier was a terrible plan tbh

The same “demographics” who don’t want to get vaxxed are the most obese Americans and BOY LET ME TELL YOU that conversation will never happen with this political environment.

Here are the states with the highest rates of obesity:

1. Mississippi
  2. West Virginia
  3. Arkansas
  4. Tennessee
  5. Kentucky
  6. South Carolina
  7. Louisiana
  8. Oklahoma
  9. Alabama
  10. Michigan

Reactions: warchief64
Capt,

I certainly am no fan of your past body of work. This I agree totally with you on though. There is a lot of money in the diabetes though.

It’s not just diabetes, it’s all medicine in general. Medical treatment is the largest money maker in world.

I also think a large portion of the problem is people aren’t nearly as active as previous generations. A good example is the construction industry used to be a common job, now most of the physical portions are filled with foreign labor.

Also very few people eat home cooked meals anymore (which are typically healthier). It’s easier for people just to grab food to go.

There is an odd demographic of folks who don't trust the vaccine, but are otherwise hyper-compliant with COVID protocols, religiously masking, distancing, avoiding crowds, etc.
Yes I agree. There is distrust from several demographics that had been made worse by politicians and news outlets. Finger pointing from both directions and no one really knows exactly what is right because the story keeps changing, but we all know the other side is completely wrong!

It’s not just diabetes, it’s all medicine in general. Medical treatment is the largest money maker in world.

I also think a large portion of the problem is people aren’t nearly as active as previous generations. A good example is the construction industry used to be a common job, now most of the physical portions are filled with foreign labor.

Also very few people eat home cooked meals anymore (which are typically healthier). It’s easier for people just to grab food to go.

Funny you are reporting that on this fine website. My wife and I were just speaking on that very subject this eve.

Reactions: SCtiger12
There is an odd demographic of folks who don't trust the vaccine, but are otherwise hyper-compliant with COVID protocols, religiously masking, distancing, avoiding crowds, etc.
I’ve notice some similarities and differences with the MAGA/Q folks and old fat black people.

neither trust the government and are absolutely refusing to get the shot.

MAGA Q just flat out don’t care about Covid and think it’s bull crap.

OFBP wear masks alone in their car, stand 20 feet apart outside with masks on, and have basically eliminated themselves from society.

People who are poor have to eat what is cheap and what is available. It’s always been that way
It isn’t that simple. They also don’t really care about health. Many don’t ever go to the Dr for even a physical. It’s education levels as well. You can eat decent for low money but you’re not going to get much joy out of it.

Poor people also can’t afford personal trainers and Peletons. I can, but still, the beer makes me a bit too chunky

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdkqbpnrbtnct
I’ve notice some similarities and differences with the MAGA/Q folks and old fat black people.

neither trust the government and are absolutely refusing to get the shot.

MAGA Q just flat out don’t care about Covid and think it’s bull crap.

OFBP wear masks alone in their car, stand 20 feet apart outside with masks on, and have basically eliminated themselves from society.
Rural whites and blacks overall are similar in many ways. Health habits are one similarity.

Poor people also can afford personal trainers and Peletons. I can, but still, the beer makes me a bit too chunky
Nobody had those years ago. It’s mostly just not eating like crap and sitting on your ass. Most of us have struggled to exercise abs eat right even if we are successful. Now imagine being broke and prioritizing Heath and fitness.

It isn’t that simple. They also don’t really care about health. Many don’t ever go to the Dr for even a physical. It’s education levels as well. You can eat decent for low money but you’re not going to get much joy out of it.
Dude, I have a doctorate, and I still don’t get a physical more than once every 5 years . Like you said it’s not that simple. We are making judgments on large groups of people. Sometimes they are accurate, sometimes not so much

Reactions: DFY04
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT