ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL TIGER TALK REVIEW: 9-14-17

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
leQd4GY.jpg

We're LIVE this week from Bammerhower's in Opelika.

* 6:06 p.m. — Rod and Mic Guy are saying really nice things about the new softball coach, Mickey Dean.

* 6:10 p.m. — Soccer Talk with Karen Hoppa. I'm going to continue working on the 3-2-1 column for Friday, will be back when Malzahn gets on the air.

* 6:22 — Rod asks which team has been Auburn's most common homecoming opponent through the years. I don't know!

* 6:22 — Rod wants to talk about practice this week. "Any time you have a tough loss, you want to go out on the practice field as quick as you can. The guys have had a great attitude."

* 6:23 — Rod says the defense was terrific at Clemson. No question. Gus says nice things about Clemson's offense. "For our guys to do what they did, it was a great effort on the defensive side."

* 6:24 — Kim is up with the first question! She wants to know if the offense can get better this week. "It's probably more about execution. That's been the message all week. The goal ... is to get some momentum before we get into SEC ... play."

* 6:25 — Rod surmises that getting better is a good thing to do. Gus lustily agrees.

* 6:25 — Herb wants to know if the team can maintain focus this weekend. Gus says his leaders "understand the big picture" that momentum is needed. "I don't expect any kind of let down as far as that goes," Gus says.

* 6:26 — Rod wants to talk about the big picture. No question. "When you can remove yourself from the hurt and the bad feelings ... we just didn't get it done. We've got to solve that. We are going to solve it. We're going to improve each week on offense."

COMMERCIAL BREAK

* 6:30 — They're giving stuff away. Buster is the BIG WINNA. He's choosing between an Malzahn-autographed program, a radio, a pass to a pregame tailgate. Buster chooses the radio. NOBODY WANTS MALZAHN'S AUTOGRAPH, YO.

* 6:31 — Bronson wants to know how often Auburn calls a zone read. "We've not called as much as we have in the past. I expect we'll see more and more as it goes. Not as much right now."

* 6:32 — Shane wants to know about helping the WRs getting open. "Clemson had some outstanding defensive backs. We need to do some things to help our receivers with matchups. It's a young group that's talented."

* 6:32 — Rod wants to talk about Lindsey going up to the booth. Gus says Lindsey has been in the press box for the past three seasons. (That may not be true.) "He feels good about that. Herb ... feels strongly that he could do a better job down there. I think it'll really help in all phases."

* 6:33 — Rod says Quentin Riggins once said watching a game from up high is a different thing. Gus lustily agrees. "You can make adjustments better by seeing the big picture." No opinion offered about it being easier to ignore Lindsey when he's up in the press box.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

* 6:37 — Rod wants to know about the punting game. Gus says it was windy in Clemson. "He was really rushing himself. When you do that, you tend to not follow through. He just needs more experience."

* 6:38 — Rod wants to talk about SKINNY PIMP. Gus describes him as "one of our best players." Gus then fawns glowingly over Roberts' ability as a punt returner.

* 6:38 — Gus says Auburn has a "very solid" secondary.

* 6:39 — Someone asks about TD Moultry. "What stands out to me about TD is his motor. It's just a matter of him getting more comfortable. He's strong, too. He likes the physical part. He's kind of a throwback."

* 6:39 — Rod says he thinks Atkinson had a nice night against Clemson. "He had a nice night."

* 6:40 — Rod notes that defenders need to have a motor. We're really going 100 miles with this motor analogy, right? Gus says something about that. Don't know.

* 6:40 — Gus says the defense tackled well the other night. I agree. Don't you?

* 6:40 — Question about keeping players away from negative words off the field from outsiders. "It's just our little group and that's all that matters. We educate them. We have great relationships with our players. The leadership — the veterans who have seen the ups and downs." Odd answer. Makes me think they never discuss this. I know a lot of players read stuff about the team. I don't think they care a lot about those opinions, but maybe they do.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

* 6:44 — Since nobody would take the autographed program, they just gave it to Ann when he name was called. She had no choice.

* 6:46 — Malzahn speaks glowingly about the Mercer Bears. "When our players watched the film, they could tell it's a solid group."

* 6:46 — Dean wants to talk about Jeff Holland. "Jeff is THE guy right now who is raising his level."

* 6:47 — Jeff wants to talk about the DL. "It starts with Dontavius Russell. He's raised his level. Derrick Brown is a guy ... who is really taking the next step. He's playing like a veteran guy. Andrew Williams is doing a good job, too. He's playing his best ball right now." Gus goes on about Nick Coe and Marlon Davidson. Everyone by Byron Cowart, basically.

* 6:48 — Rod wants to know about the offense. "I want to turn that tape on Sunday and see good execution."

* 6:49 — Rod notes that this is the last weekend before playing six straight conference games. "We've got to get our ducks in a line before we got into this SEC stretch."

* 6:49 — Gus offers a confident, measured "War Eagle."

* 6:49 — The trivia answer is MISS'IPPI STATE. They have been Auburn's homecoming opponent 16 times.

THAT'S A WRAP.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News