ADVERTISEMENT

THREAD HAS AIDS

One side wants the guidelines to stay in place so they can pretend they're morally superior to ones who don't follow the guidelines, and the other side wants the guidelines to stay in place so they can show how much they hate the government by disobeying the guidelines
This is the dumbest take...

I live in nyc. We have tons of guidelines. Cool. Things are fine.

I'm in alabama this week and you guys don't do shit.. So whatever.

Why do you let your inferiority complex enter into this?

Reactions: 00aubie
This is the dumbest take...

I live in nyc. We have tons of guidelines. Cool. Things are fine.

I'm in alabama this week and you guys don't do shit.. So whatever.

Why do you let your inferiority complex enter into this?

I'm not sure you understood my post. There are people on both sides of the aisle to tie their "coolness" to the guidelines. Hard-core crazy libs love flaunting how cool they are double masking and disparaging those who don't. Hard core crazy trumpers love flaunting how they won't follow the rules that are in place. It's not about whether or not one is right. It's about how they enjoy getting famous for their belief or disbelief in the rules. There are absolutely people who's entire personality revolves around the guidelines being in place otherwise they're no longer interesting to the people they're trying to gain fame with.

1000% agree, the worst part of this is that athletes were being fined/suspended due to not following outdated protocols that the CDC just now changed way after "the science" has been known for months..amazing isn't it? Don't want this to turn into the 1 billionth COVID discussion, but the NCAA, NFL, NBA, etc need better leadership, period.

What "science" has been "known for months" Rice??? What changed long ago that should have led to them reducing the quarantine period again?

It's not mysterious why they changed it. Omicron is more virulent but less harmful. It's just a shame that they were slow to recognize and alter policy before people had to start canceling games. None of these organizations is built for speed; all are megaliths, slow to react or move.

So, all of the other variants have suddenly disappeared off of the face of the earth??? Omicron is the only thing out there all of a sudden??? If that's not the case, should we base policy on the dominant strain this quickly?

Putting genies back in bottles is quite difficult. The response should be variant specific and should be able to change accordingly. It should also be state/region specific and not one size fits all. If there is an outbreak in the Pacific Northwest then Orlando should not be under the same rules at that time. If delta would’ve come along before vaccinations, then the death toll would’ve been exponentially higher.

I agree that omicron seems to be less severe than the previous two dominant variants regarding hospitalizations/severe illness and guidance should reflect that however what if the next dominant variant is a mix of delta and omicron (meaning more severe illness/hospitalizations with the ability to evade vaccines)? Will the tolerance of Americans be there for stricter controls/regulations in the face of a true threat again to hospitals being overrun? I doubt it as that there was a conscious ignorance of what happened in some areas with delta.

Doc, can you please share with the board your opinion and understanding as to whether asymptomatic people can spread COVID?

So, all of the other variants have suddenly disappeared off of the face of the earth??? Omicron is the only thing out there all of a sudden??? If that's not the case, should we base policy on the dominant strain this quickly?

They're just becoming exceedingly rare. It was probably over-reach to begin with. The whole point of the push to get vaccinated - in this context - was as a carrot to not have to test everyone all the time, then they backtracked on that.

I'm not one that has been overly critical of the CDC because I recognize that it's acting in real time based upon constantly changing data, so it must attempt to craft a middle of the line policy. It isn't designed to be perfect or anywhere close to it. It's what we have. Can it improve? Surely. But non-scientists aren't going to be helpful.

but but... "there is no Federal solution"... remember?

There is no federal solution NOW. That doesn't mean there was never a possibility of one.

I do find it amusing that when Brandon actually agrees with Republican governors people want to accuse him of poor leadership. When he tries to crack down by issuing mandates, it's poor leadership. When he tries to encourage people to get the vaccine, it's poor leadership because he's talking down to them. When even Trump gets vaccinated and gets a COVID booster and advises his supporters to get the vaccine, his own supporters turn on him. What that tells me is that there is no solution - period - because some in this country are so ideologically biased, right or wrong, that it is impossible to create cohesive federal policy which works at the local level.

OTOH, isn't that almost always the case? Libertarian ideology is almost always right ... it just lacks practical implementation.

It did. It just changed about 3-4 weeks ago and it's taken them this long to react to the new data.
Sadly, I think you really believe that. The cat is out of the bag now.

"The reason is that with the sheer volume of new cases that we are having and that we expect to continue with Omicron, one of the things we want to be careful of is that we don't have so many people out," Dr. Anthony Fauci explains why CDC changed Covid isolation guidelines.

Sadly, I think you really believe that. The cat is out of the bag now.

"The reason is that with the sheer volume of new cases that we are having and that we expect to continue with Omicron, one of the things we want to be careful of is that we don't have so many people out," Dr. Anthony Fauci explains why CDC changed Covid isolation guidelines.

Nothing in that article contradicts what I said.

Reactions: AUBK
The science didn't change 3-4 weeks ago. All that changed was that businesses started feeling the strain from so many workers being out for 10 days. How do you not see that?

I see cause and effect.

Omicron originated in early November, blazed a path through South Africa and then more or less burned itself out by the first week or so of December. So by early December CDC realized that omicron wasn't going to need the same constraints bc it was relatively mild and resolved quickly...and since omicron is 89% of the current cases (I think I recall that #, it was high, need to go find the stat for sure)...they realized there was no reason to shut the country down again over it....and they changed policy. This is simple, to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Jim in Scranton
I see cause and effect.

Omicron originated in early November, blazed a path through South Africa and then more or less burned itself out by the first week or so of December. So by early December CDC realized that omicron wasn't going to need the same constraints bc it was relatively mild and resolved quickly...and since omicron is 89% of the current cases (I think I recall that #, it was high, need to go find the stat for sure)...they realized there was no reason to shut the country down again over it....and they changed policy. This is simple, to me.
Oh, there is definitely cause and effect:

FHqtKiuXsAIIdfU

LOL what do you think you're saying here? Once again, you see conspiracy. It's all about paradigm.
I’m saying that it’s BS that the science has changed with a new variant that only accounted for 22.5% of COVID cases last week. That big business can’t afford to have workers out for 10 days, and the CDC changed their guidance based on absolutely zero new information. And that 10 days was always too long, and now we have confirmation of that.

There is no federal solution NOW. That doesn't mean there was never a possibility of one.

I do find it amusing that when Brandon actually agrees with Republican governors people want to accuse him of poor leadership. When he tries to crack down by issuing mandates, it's poor leadership. When he tries to encourage people to get the vaccine, it's poor leadership because he's talking down to them. When even Trump gets vaccinated and gets a COVID booster and advises his supporters to get the vaccine, his own supporters turn on him. What that tells me is that there is no solution - period - because some in this country are so ideologically biased, right or wrong, that it is impossible to create cohesive federal policy which works at the local level.

OTOH, isn't that almost always the case? Libertarian ideology is almost always right ... it just lacks practical implementation.

There was a Federal solution when Trump was president, but not when Joe is president. - derp. Trump got hit with an unprecedented total surprise, Joe had a years head-start and everything he needed. Joe's death-count is higher than Trump's. If Joe can say "no one saw this coming" and get a pass, surely you'd say the same for Trump. Trump also had to fight the Fauci/Birx CDC WHO Media and NIH backdoor scheming, while Joe had their full cooperation and messaging.

It was poor leadership when he fought with Republican governors for the past year, praised Democrat Governors who literally condemned the elderly to death, then admitted the Republican Governors were right.

When Trump did Ol' Joe a favor, and spoke about taking the vaccines, Dan and 00 ripped him for 'selling out his cult'. So much for 'ideology' and more for individual self-preservation.

When Joe decided to force people into taking a shot or losing their jobs, taking a shot or being exiled from society, taking a shot or being confined to house arrest, via illegal mandates and forced compliance to businesses, that was a failure of leadership because it relied on authoritarian use of office and not actual leadership.

I'm not sure which is worse, Joe's surrender to Covid or his surrender to the Taliban in Afghanistan, but both are absolute examples of Joe's leadershit .. and not real leadership.

• Haha
Reactions: stutsman23
I’m saying that it’s BS that the science has changed with a new variant that only accounted for 22.5% of COVID cases last week. That big business can’t afford to have workers out for 10 days, and the CDC changed their guidance based on absolutely zero new information. And that 10 days was always too long, and now we have confirmation of that.
Lol.

This guy definitely thinks big pharma is hiding the cure for cancer.

• Haha
Reactions: Jim in Scranton
They're just becoming exceedingly rare. It was probably over-reach to begin with. The whole point of the push to get vaccinated - in this context - was as a carrot to not have to test everyone all the time, then they backtracked on that.

I'm not one that has been overly critical of the CDC because I recognize that it's acting in real time based upon constantly changing data, so it must attempt to craft a middle of the line policy. It isn't designed to be perfect or anywhere close to it. It's what we have. Can it improve? Surely. But non-scientists aren't going to be helpful.

The point I was making was that all of the other variants don't INSTANTLY disappear when a new one pops up. Eventually, the new one usually becomes dominant, but it's not instantaneously. When they set policy based on a single variant, it doesn't reflect the reality and take into account that there will be people with Delta and other variants who are back in the mix in 5 days.

I get what you were saying, but the "science" didn't change 3-4 weeks ago, and they failed to react in a timely manner. This change in guidance seems to solely be about economics, and the HUGE impact it has on companies when so many employees have all of these two week vacations. Hence the move from 14, to 10 days, and now to 5. Is 5 really enough to retard spread of the disease??? Well, we're about to find out, but IMHO, this could be a VERY good thing for other reasons.

Man I wish I had that ability to get into someone's head and know exactly what they are thinking (sarcasm)...LOL
Man, I wish i had the ability to type like a 3rd grader (sarcasm) lololol

It's not mysterious why they changed it. Omicron is more virulent but less harmful. It's just a shame that they were slow to recognize and alter policy before people had to start canceling games. None of these organizations is built for speed; all are megaliths, slow to react or move.
Keep telling yourself that… Your confirmation bias is showing..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT