ADVERTISEMENT

SIAD: NFL says if unvaccinated player causes a cancellation

If people want to kill themselves or a family member let em. I no longer feel sorry for people who die from covid

Lots of players are speaking up about it.

At Dallas Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, California, running back Ezekiel Elliott said he received the COVID-19 vaccination but doesn't believe that decision should be forced on others.

"I got the vaccine just because I wanted to put myself in the best situation to be out there for my team week in and week out. But I mean, not everyone feels that strongly or maybe other people still have their view of vaccines. You can't force someone to do something that they don't want to do to their body," said Elliott, who was diagnosed with COVID-19 last summer.

Elliott said he grew up in a family "where we didn't get vaccines, so it's kind of hard to tell someone who their whole life, their mom, their dad tell them not to get vaccinated to go get vaccinated. So I mean it's everyone's body. Can't tell them what to do with it. So I mean it's kind of touchy. You just can't go tell somebody."

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay said Thursday that more than 50% of the roster is vaccinated, and the team is "hopefully headed toward 100%."

"[Getting vaccinated] just makes the most sense," Irsay said. "There's always risks with everything in life, and getting vaccinated is the right thing to do."

New England Patriots linebacker Matt Judon expressed his frustration with the NFL's new policy with a tweet that said: "The NFLPA F---ing sucks."

Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Leonard Fournette indicated in a tweet that he wouldn't be getting the vaccine, writing: "Vaccine I can't do it......." He later deleted the tweet.

Las Vegas Raiders running back Jalen Richard encouraged unvaccinated players to "read the rules-know em like you know your plays" in a tweet. He added: "we playing in jail this year and you should act as such."

No one has a God-given right to play in any professional league or frankly to get any particular job and ignore that employer’s requirements. Neither do you have an inalienable right to enroll in a particular school. If they require certain vaccines, you get them or you find a place that doesn’t require them. Ain’t freedom great?
Can the school be sued for telling them its safe and demanding they take it if something goes wrong?

Reactions: Rusty Strings
Can the school be sued for telling them its safe and demanding they take it if something goes wrong?

No one is demanding they take it. Like Michelle Pfeiffer said in Dangerous Minds, everyone has a choice. You might not like that choice, but it's still a choice.

Their choice is get vaccinated and play with no consequences, or don't get vaccinated, play, but you could cause your team penalties for not getting it.

Choosing to get a vaccine is a right that has no right or wrong answer. You can do as you please with no penalty. Being allowed to play football or enjoy football on a television is a privilege. No one owes the players or the fans anything.

Reactions: TitanTiger (AU)
it’s amazing how many people (that also had to get certain vaccines just to go to elementary school and high school) won’t listen to doctors......that went to school for most of their life to become a doctor. I truly believe that if it hadn’t become an (r) vs (d) “thing” then there wouldn’t even be a problem besides your random floor licker that treats their ailments with blueberries and oak leaves.

I’m sure that most of the NFL players are staunch republicans. :rolleyes:

Not only will that team forfeit as no time will be added to make up games, but neither team’s players will be paid for that week….

Holy cow. I don’t see any problems on the horizon with this (yeah right). This only applies if the COVID issue is traced back to an unvaccinated player. But one team could be at 100% vax percentage, and a member of the other team could be unvaccinated, test positive, and due to contact tracing that team has to forfeit because they can’t play ——- AND YHE 100% VACCINATED TEAM DOESN’T GET PAID.

Sorry if it’s already been discussed. I’ve been gone all day and just saw this.

They are just following the latest marketing ploy, which is the use extreme peer pressure to force folks to rush out and take the new vaccines. They literally want people to brow beat, and/or physically threaten others in their families and circles so that they get it.

You tell people they are going to miss a HUGE paycheck because of an "unvaccinated" person, others are going to make them get it, or make them leave the league. It's unbelievably irresponsible of the NFL, but most corporations will prioritize the almighty dollar, over everything else.

Good. We have excellent, safe, and effective vaccines. The players should go get them unless there is a documented medical reason a specific player cant (which is highly unlikely among these young athletes). “I don’t want one” or “I choose to trust quacks and nuts on social media over the overwhelming consensus of medical experts in the relevant fields” isn’t a medical reason.

You are indicating, essentially guaranteeing, that these new vaccines are safe in the short term, mid-term, and long term. Is it honest to indicate that they are "safe" in the mid-term and long term? You didn't qualify the statement as your opinion, you stated it as fact.

We know they don't kill many at all, immediately, but how do you know anything about them in the mid-term and long-term since we don't have ANY data? Please, just be honest and use rationale and reason to try and convince folks to get the vaccine.

You are indicating, essentially guaranteeing, that these new vaccines are safe in the short term, mid-term, and long term. Is it honest to indicate that they are "safe" in the mid-term and long term? You didn't qualify the statement as your opinion, you stated it as fact.

We know they don't kill many at all, immediately, but how do you know anything about them in the mid-term and long-term since we don't have ANY data? Please, just be honest and use rationale and reason to try and convince folks to get the vaccine.
I'm basing it on the fact that almost 3.8 Billion doses of the vaccine have been administered worldwide and over 330 million doses here in the US alone and that the serious adverse effects are miniscule. And I'm basing it on the fact that never in the history of vaccines, including ones done before the current structure for rigorous clinical trials was in place or a system like VAERS to track all possible side effects, has there ever been a vaccine that had mid or long term safety issues where the problem didn't show up within a month or so. There's literally never been one where everything looked rosy at first and then 2, 5, 10 years down the road, some long term adverse side effect came to light.

You're basing the FUD you spread in every damn one of these threads on ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "weLL wE JuSt dOn'T KnOw - aNyThInG's PoSsIbLe" arguments from silence.

I'm basing it on the fact that almost 3.8 Billion doses of the vaccine have been administered worldwide and over 330 million doses here in the US alone and that the serious adverse effects are miniscule. And I'm basing it on the fact that never in the history of vaccines, including ones done before the current structure for rigorous clinical trials was in place or a system like VAERS to track all possible side effects, has there ever been a vaccine that had mid or long term safety issues where the problem didn't show up within a month or so. There's literally never been one where everything looked rosy at first and then 2, 5, 10 years down the road, some long term adverse side effect came to light.

You're basing the FUD you spread in every damn one of these threads on ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "weLL wE JuSt dOn'T KnOw - aNyThInG's PoSsIbLe" arguments from silence.

First, thanks for linking the articles. However, I understand that many might not catch it, but they both have a HUGE flaw IMHO. They make the mistake of speculating, guessing, projecting the mid-term and long-term prognosis for these new vaccines, based on a comparison with the historical data from vaccines that were based on COMPLETELY DIFFERENT technology.

They are saying that with the old vaccine technology, issues have always shown up in months, (which is bending things just a bit). But even so, despite being a doctor, he doesn't seem to know that we can't directly compare everything one to one since these vaccines use completely NEW technology. With the new vaccines, we are directly manipulating the immune system, in a completely new and different way. Well guess what, every intelligent scientist, doctor and researcher should know that the immune system is NOT a short term system. You do have short term components, but you also have much longer term mechanism that we DO NOT FULLY UNDERSTAND at this time. These are the things that may not show up until later.

I'm not overly concerned, but I do wonder if certain types of auto-immune issues might arise, whether we are trading a better short term immune response, for less protection in the long haul, bigger picture scenario given the COMPLETE immune response etc. I see several such possibilities given the nature of the mechanisms in this new class of vaccines, and the way the body responds, (but those things are only my pennie's worth of opinion, so they aren't exactly here or there).

First, thanks for linking the articles. However, I understand that many might not catch it, but they both have a HUGE flaw IMHO. They make the mistake of speculating, guessing, projecting the mid-term and long-term prognosis for these new vaccines, based on a comparison with the historical data from vaccines that were based on COMPLETELY DIFFERENT technology.
Because the "technology" as you put it isn't so radically different, nor so new that it isn't deeply understood, that there's anything in the ingredients or method that would give reason to suspect long term issues. The mRNA is fragile and is broken down and flushes from the body within hours. The rest is pretty much standard vaccine stuff - you're delivering genetic material about the virus to the body so that the immune system develops antibodies in response to it.

I'm not overly concerned, but I do wonder if certain types of auto-immune issues might arise, whether we are trading a better short term immune response, for less protection in the long haul, bigger picture scenario given the COMPLETE immune response etc. I see several such possibilities given the nature of the mechanisms in this new class of vaccines, and the way the body responds, (but those things are only my pennie's worth of opinion, so they aren't exactly here or there).
Based on what? What in the vaccines would give any educated person reason to be concerned about auto-immune issues down the road?

Also, please don't start putting words in my mouth again. If I offer an opinion that is deficient, please just attack the argument and point out what you feel to be the logical flaw, or deficiency, but let's not start the silly stuff such as your last statement. I haven't tossed out any silly, "bud aany'thang could happens", and you know this.

Lastly, please see the quote from the doctor in the article:

"Vaccines, given in one- or two-shot doses, are very different from medicines that people take every day, potentially for years. And decades of vaccine history — plus data from more than a billion people who have received COVID vaccines starting last December — provide powerful proof that there is little chance that any new dangers will emerge from COVID vaccines.

This is a doctor, who doesn't know any better than to compare vaccines built on completely new technology, one for one, (with no normalization), with vaccines built on completely different, classical technologies. I've seen many such articles where I believe they know, but they are doing everything possible to try and tie into the TONS of data that we have on the old, tried and true vaccine technology, so people will take the new vaccines. That is deceptive, and/or really poor logic. He's saying that data from the old classical vaccines provide "powerful proof that there is little changed that any new dangers will emerge" from the COMPLETELY NEW Covid vaccines. Good grief that is a massive mistake in his and other's logic. Again, they know most people won't catch it. Did you catch that flaw???

Also, it doesn't matter if 7 billion have taken the vaccine. That's another silly marketing trick, "Hey, everybody is doing it. You're an oddball if you don't jump in too". That data only tells us that it's safe in the short term and isn't likely to harm you immediately, (which I continue to acknowledge). However, sharp people recognize that tells you NOTHING about the mid-term and long-term, (which has always been my point). That is LIKELY why these doctors and scientists keep trying to borrow/use the "decades of vaccine history" to give false security, even though it should be obvious that you can't compare this apple and orange directly.

Because the "technology" as you put it isn't so radically different, nor so new that it isn't deeply understood, that there's anything in the ingredients or method that would give reason to suspect long term issues. The mRNA is fragile and is broken down and flushes from the body within hours. The rest is pretty much standard vaccine stuff - you're delivering genetic material about the virus to the body so that the immune system develops antibodies in response to it.

Based on what? What in the vaccines would give any educated person reason to be concerned about auto-immune issues down the road?

I almost bowed out when I read your first sentence saying that these new vaccines aren't radically different from traditional vaccine technology. There is no way we can continue a meaningful conversation, (especially one that goes into detail), if you don't even realize this.

We've debated before as to whether these new vaccines should be labeled as new technology, or old hat tech that's "decades old". That has been settled, and even all of the companies and their scientists admit that this is all "novel technology", (i.e. it's NEW). We'd always been calling this ground-breaking new technology, until everyone reversed ground so they wouldn't give the public pause on taking the vaccines, (and that's not the way to be completely honest and build trust with the public).

We have to look at everything from the adjuvants, (and I believe we got those early issues fixed), to the delivery mechanisms, (i.e. the nano-particles and exactly how they are distributed, and which cells, organs etc., will be receiving the new RNA instructions to create a foreign protein for the immune system to attack. You are correct that mRNA itself disintegrates quickly, but at this point, no one knows all of the effects of free protein spikes circulating in the body, or especially, whether the long term, overall response of the immune system might be given that the bodies' only cells were the ones making the foreign protein that it has trained the immune system to fight. Lastly, there is the aforementioned potential trading of a better specific, immediate response, at the expense of long term, general protection from other pathogens in this family.

So while I looked at everything in the vaccine, I'm not really worried about those things. Again, while I'm NOT overly concerned, I'm curious and can't wait to see what we learn over time, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of the things that I alluded to above, occur. I'm certainly praying that they don't, but wouldn't be surprised if we don't have more tweaks to make as data finally starts coming in over time.

#tidnif

ADVERTISEMENT