ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Player interviews, 8/11...

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
Anders Carlson, Brandon Council, Owen Pappoe and Chandler Wooten are speaking with us momentarily. Follow along here for updates.

Carlson

- Says still working on holder. Oscar Chapman and a few other guys fighting for position. Still too early to figure out who will be the holder.

- Minor adjustments with new coaching staff but you are still "kicking the ball through the sticks."

- Reps are more realistic and more like a game during practice this year.

- Anders: "I'm an old man now."

- He's kicked some closer field goals but hasn't missed yet.

- Transition has been smooth with new long snappers.

Pappoe

- "We're out there flying around and making plays."

- "The whole D-line has looked amazing." - On who has taken some major steps so far this camp

- On Smoke: "He bring the energy on the field." He gets players lined up, loves playing with him.

- "This defense is very linebacker friendly."

- Only difference between previous years' practice and this year is everyone is on one field.

- On Wooten: "Going out there and being a leader." Said he had a pick a couple of days ago and almost had another one today. "He's going to have a big year." Says you can't tell he didn't play last year.

- On Colby Wooden: "He's got faster. He's making a lot of plays in the backfield." Shown a lot of growth.

- Says Eku Leota has been doing a really good job. Had three sacks one practice. Him and TD are the leaders in the room.

- On Harsin: "He's not intimidated by the fact that it's the SEC." Has established that mindset with team.

- On Joko Willis: He's been doing a good job so far. "I'm excited to see him grow."

Wooten

- Feels night and day on how comfortable he feels compared to spring.

- Has seen huge strides by the younger linebackers.

- "Sometimes a change is good." Enjoys what Harsin, Mason and Schmedding have brought as far as energy and vibe. Harsin "kind of coach I love to play for."

- "Allows us to play fast and make a lot of plays. Ability to make quick checks and reads and let athleticism take over." - On Mason's defense being linebacker friendly

- "We're not worried about." - on Big Kat Bryant's quote. Says he's focused on getting better for Auburn.

- "A lot of guys flashing every day." - on D-line.

- "It was definitely different. Just to watch the games on TV." - Said last year off gave him time to reflect for first time. Made him better person, teammate.

- Mentions all of the EDGE guys that he has been impressed with.

- "I'm a completely different player. Playing smarter, faster, stronger. Game is slowing down ... I still have my best football in front of me."

COUNCIL

- Says it was a mental game coming back from the injury he suffered last season. Thinks he is back better than ever. Has to get back in game shape but the knee is fine.

- Council brings the word "downhill" into it. Feels like the experience of the offensive line plus the new coaching will make a major difference.

- "I plan to dominate and finish the season healthy. That's the biggest thing for me. Don't have that injury in the back of my mind."

- On Finley: "He's a big guy. You can't miss him. He works well with the offense. He picked everything up real quick. He's a great asset for this team."

- He's been working at right tackle, guard and center. Getting reps at all.

- Says Garner Langlo has bene coming on. He's picking up the offense.

- "Everything is a competition now. Everyone's spot can be taken."

- Harsin is a player's coach. He's out there running around with us during practice. Says Will Friend is the real deal. "He's on our butts for sure." Says it is a lot different from the past. Motto is thrive, not survive. Feels practice is more productive.

- Calls Friend "old school." He wants them to be psychical in everything they do. Brings back smash-mouth football. Calls him one of the best O-line coaches he has had.

- Shoulder problem is also fully recovered and he's ready to go.

- On facing Akron: Says quarterback and kicker are still there from his time there. He's still close with a lot of different guys. Doesn't take time at Akron for granted but he has improved as a player at Auburn.

ANNNNNNDDDDDD .... that's a wrap on Wednesday's interviews.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News