ADVERTISEMENT

Pink Floyd fans

Space Funk Booty

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2016
Roger Waters' "Redux" of Dark Side of the Moon came out today.

Controversial artist Roger Waters is back with a controversial new release: a re-recording of Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of the Moon, made without the involvement of any of the other members of Pink Floyd. Listen to The Dark Side of the Moon Redux below via Apple Music or Spotify.

Beyond giving Waters the opportunity to one-up his estranged bandmates, re-recording one of the most famous albums of all time appeared to give the artist a chance to update its message for modern times, with a matured perspective. “The original Dark Side of the Moon feels in some ways like the lament of an elder being on the human condition,” Waters said in a statement. “But Dave [Gilmour], Rick [Wright], Nick [Mason], and I were so young when we made it, and when you look at the world around us, clearly the message hasn’t stuck. That’s why I started to consider what the wisdom of an 80-year-old could bring to a reimagined version.”

That said, the project isn’t just a faithful rendition of the original music, a-la Taylor Swift’s re-do of her discography. Waters significantly changes the songs; “Us and Them” is stripped down to little more than his voice, while “Money” is slowed down and delivered in a much lower register than the original recording. Waters produced the project alongside Gus Seyffert, while Seyffert and musicians Joey Waronker, Jonathan Wilson, Johnny Shepherd, and Jon Carin act as his backing band.

Anyone given it a listen yet? I'm about halfway through and wouldn't ever listen to this over the original, but it is kind of interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.