ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gina Carano fired (Mandalorian)

That's not what she said. She was talking about before the holocaust. The very seeds of hate that were promoted socially that led to the holocaust decades later (it's not a solid comparison imo). It was a bad move on her part but when people started bullying her on Twitter, it kind of proved her point.

Secondly, I don't think Nick Cannon works for Disney. I never alluded to such. He said anti-semtic and racist BS on a podcast. He apologized to Jews and got his job back. He said much worse about white people in the same podcast and it got zero attention. He purposefully never apologized for the racist comments.

You're being deceptive. You twist and turn peoples words. I hope it's just confusion on your part, but it happens enough that I don't think it is.

I do NOT twist folks words nor do I use deception. However I will try my best to tell the truth, even if that isn't popular. You made the mistake of comparing Nick and Gina's situations directly, while apparently not realizing that it was different companies with different executives/groups of people making the decision, so it's kind of difficult to say that's good proof of a double-standard in this particular situation.

BTW, I agree that seeds of hate can be planted well ahead of time, and that we all need to really watch that. Social media is the tool that is being used to drive everyone to these unified opinions, and when the zeitgeist adopts some specious moral code, it allows the masses to bully the heck out of everyone in an attempt to force them to conform. It's DEAD wrong in many cases. I don't know enough about Gina's behavior, history and all to opine, but that general type of thing happens too much these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dammit Lewis
I do NOT twist folks words nor use deception. However I will tell the truth, even if you don't like it. You made the mistake of comparing Nick and Gina's situations directly, while apparently not realizing that it was different companies with different executives/groups of people making the decision, so it's kind of difficult to say that's good proof of a double-standard in this particular situation.

BTW, I agree that seeds of hate can be planted well ahead of time, and that we all need to really watch that. Social media is the tool that is being used to drive everyone to these unified opinions, and when the zeitgeist adopts some specious moral code, it allows the masses to bully the heck out of everyone in an attempt to force them to conform. It's DEAD wrong in many cases. I don't know enough about Gina's behavior, history and all to opine, but that general type of thing happens too much these days.
The companies they work for isn't the issue. That wasn't what I was ultimately referring to. Someone else brought up the jobs they had and I later answered a question about it.

I was talking about the people on twitter that choose who gets canceled or not. Those are the people who ultimately get people fired. That is the "Cancel Culture", not the companies in question (as far as I understand the social premise). The companies just bend to their will. Probably because many in those companies have the same inconsistencies in their moral values.

What she said wasn't smart business wise (imo). I get that. She made a statement about the cultural mob mentality in pre-holocaust Germany and then she got "canceled" by a modern social mob. My statement was relevant about them kind of proving her point. It's an exagerated comparison but were still comparing "fruit" so to speak (maybe not apples to apples).

The Nick Cannon comparison is that he gets a pass as long as he apologizes for his anti-semetic remarks. She just made an ill-advised comparison. He straight up talked about dark skinned people being a superior race. He'll gets a social pass because of the color of his skin.

Last edited:
The companies they work for isn't the issue. That wasn't what I was ultimately referring to. Someone else brought up the jobs they had and I later answered a question about it.

I was talking about the people on twitter that choose who gets canceled or not. Those are the people who ultimately get people fired. That is the "Cancel Culture", not the companies in question (as far as I understand the social premise). The companies just bend to their will. Probably because many in those companies have the same inconsistencies in their moral values.

What she said wasn't smart business wise (imo). I get that. She made a statement about the cultural mob mentality in pre-holocaust Germany and then she got "canceled" by a modern social mob. My statement was relevant about them kind of proving her point. It's an exagerated comparison but were still comparing "fruit" so to speak (maybe not apples to apples).

The Nick Cannon comparison is that he gets a pass as long as he apologizes for his anti-semetic remarks. She just made an ill-advised comparison. He straight up talked about dark skinned people being a superior race. He'll gets a social pass because of the color of his skin.

Okay, I get what you're saying if you were talking about the general public on social media, as opposed to the company deciding to not renew her contract. No doubt that the cancel culture can be dead wrong, and inconsistent. Group think and zeitgeist based morality can be VERY, very bad.

You do realize that you are comparing what Disney's management decided to do, directly apples to apples, with what CBS's management decided to do?

It appears that you and others made the same mistake, and that you guys are so gung-ho to talk about the discrimination you feel you are facing, that you miss the fact that it's a different group of people making the decision about Gina, than it was making the decision on Nick, so it's not an apples to apples comparison in this particular case.

I don't feel I'm facing any discrimination because I'm not facing the loss of my job. As I said, private companies can do whatever they want in terms of firing people they don't want representing their brand. I'm giving the Nick Cannon comparison as one example of many. Let's look at just Disney and take CBS out of it since it's a different company. Her own co-star compared Trumps immigration policy to Nazi Germany and nothing was done....Gina was fired for being conservative bottom-line. Yes she was warned. Yes Disney has a right to fire her. You could say she should've stopped posting political things on social media after her warning if she wanted to keep her job. That's fair, but I still don't have to agree with the double standard at Disney and other places for firing.

I don't feel I'm facing any discrimination because I'm not facing the loss of my job. As I said, private companies can do whatever they want in terms of firing people they don't want representing their brand. I'm giving the Nick Cannon comparison as one example of many. Let's look at just Disney and take CBS out of it since it's a different company. Her own co-star compared Trumps immigration policy to Nazi Germany and nothing was done....Gina was fired for being conservative bottom-line. Yes she was warned. Yes Disney has a right to fire her. You could say she should've stopped posting political things on social media after her warning if she wanted to keep her job. That's fair, but I still don't have to agree with the double standard at Disney and other places for firing.

So, it's a double-standard that doesn't rise to the level of discrimination, (meaning, it's not impacting anyone's ability to earn a living, get an education and other things that pertain to a level playing field)?

My main point was that the direct comparison to Nick wasn't valid, so folks should probably find something that is more apropos to make their point

Also, was Gina fired, or her contract wasn't renewed. I don't like it when we over-censure folks. People should be allowed to express their opinion for the most part, even if they are wrong, (to a degree). As long as it isn't harming mankind, society, civilization, folks need to lay off with the social bullying. If you don't agree, then make a cogent argument and use logic and reason to show why their opinion is stupid, bad, invalid etc.

So, it's a double-standard that doesn't rise to the level of discrimination, (meaning, it's not impacting anyone's ability to earn a living, get an education and other things that pertain to a level playing field)?

My main point was that the direct comparison to Nick wasn't valid, so folks should probably find something that is more apropos to make their point

Also, was Gina fired, or her contract wasn't renewed. I don't like it when we over-censure folks. People should be allowed to express their opinion for the most part, even if they are wrong, (to a degree). As long as it isn't harming mankind, society, civilization, folks need to lay off with the social bullying. If you don't agree, then make a cogent argument and use logic and reason to show why their opinion is stupid, bad, invalid etc.

It was reported that Disney wanted to fire Gina months ago. Whether she was outright fire or not renewed, it's directly because of her post. Anyone can see that. I just used another example from Disney that wasn't Nick Cannon proving a double standard. That's Disney's right as a private employer, but I agree that the social bullying is going too far in our overall culture, which is pretty much by point.

Another example in the Disney realm. Current Bachelor contestant Rachel Kirkconnell had images surface of her at a KA old south party wearing a Antebellum style dress. Naturally there is outrage. Justified? To a degree yes. We shouldn't have parties where we dress up as old south plantations owners. Long-time Bachelor host Chris Harrison issued a statement basically saying....hey this happened in 2018 and we had a little different culture back then and maybe we shouldn't ruin this girls life because of it. Maybe she can learn from it, etc. etc. Now people want him fired too.

It was reported that Disney wanted to fire Gina months ago. Whether she was outright fire or not renewed, it's directly because of her post. Anyone can see that. I just used another example from Disney that wasn't Nick Cannon proving a double standard. That's Disney's right as a private employer, but I agree that the social bullying is going too far in our overall culture, which is pretty much by point.

Another example in the Disney realm. Current Bachelor contestant Rachel Kirkconnell had images surface of her at a KA old south party wearing a Antebellum style dress. Naturally there is outrage. Justified? To a degree yes. We shouldn't have parties where we dress up as old south plantations owners. Long-time Bachelor host Chris Harrison issued a statement basically saying....hey this happened in 2018 and we had a little different culture back then and maybe we shouldn't ruin this girls life because of it. Maybe she can learn from it, etc. etc. Now people want him fired too.

Wow. For a dress?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT