ADVERTISEMENT

My non-insider, never coached a game in my life thoughts on OC situation

AU925

WILL WADE SYMPATHIST
Nov 17, 2004
This comes from reading between the lines and my general (lack of) Bunker awareness

Week 1:

The original 3 candidates were Hill, Kittley and Grimes. We know what happened with Hill.

Kittley got Texas Tech OC job, which is where he went to school.

And Grimes said no (I will edit this if he says yes and y’all bump me!). I think Grimes views this as a lateral OC job. I think he’s worked with Aranda, a defensive guy, now at 2 different schools and he’s comfortable. Aranda runs the defense and Grimes runs the offense. Would he have full control here like he does at Baylor? That’s a genuine question he has to ask himself.

Moving on to week 2…

Upon my research of Boise OC’s under Harsin, almost all had no previous OC experience ( at least a Boise caliber job). Drinkwitz, Sanford, Hill all had never had an OC job. Kiseau was the only that had (at Fresno)….

So this kind of fits what we’ve heard from our fearless @Jay G. Tate and @jhead34382 have said. Has Harsin always preferred hiring a “younger” guy to run Harsin’s offense? It doesn’t appear Harsin ever called plays as a HC, but at Boise it seems like he had OC’s calling plays from Harsin’s playbook (and honestly this may be a similar to set up HE had when he was running Chris Peterson’s offense?)

Now naturally some here will blast this and say “Gus.” The problem with Gus was his offense didn’t evolve for 15 years. I doubt Harsin averaged 11 wins a year at Boise running the same 6 plays the whole time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News