ADVERTISEMENT

LSU Game Thoughts

hunter48

BUNKER'S BEST POSTER
Gold Member
Jan 22, 2008
Up there, in them trees.
The initial look of "soft" zone coverage as a bit frustrating to see, but when you think about LSU's scoring numbers all season, relying on chunk plays or otherwise stalling out in the redzone it made sense. ESPECIALLY when you paired the "roving" defensive front, which was comprised of 1 true DL and 3 Edge players. They hit variable gaps from variable alignments all nigh, clouding the RPO read and essentially making Johnson so uncertain about what he was seeing he had to move to the pass progression quickly. In the second half AU went press man on Butte any time he was the single side receiver and played a bracket safety over the top, essentially saying "if you're gonna beat us you're not gonna do it with number one on backside solo routes" which is LSU's weapon of choice. It looked funky, but it worked well enough to help AU win alongside an uneven offensive and special teams performance. Hall and Leota did yeoman's work up front all night. Roger McCreary was lights out from essentially the second quarter on. Knighton did a really good job over the top in bracket and poaching to the middle of the field.

The OL didn't give up any sacks to the nation's leading pass rush squad, but they did concede a lot of pressure that resulted in the necessity of the Bo Nix heroics. I did love Trox's aggression! I'll take a UNR call on an OL from time to time if he's setting the tone. The OL's run blocking footwork is not good. They are stepping to where players are lined up pre snap, not where they will be once the ball moves, and thus not getting all of their man or not being able to come off a double team and climb. It's why so many defenders are making tackles at the LOS coming off blocks and so many second level defenders are getting to tee off on the ball carriers untouched.

Bigsby really, really needs a week or two to rest and heal. He isn't close to being the "Tank" right now, and with what I mentioned above, his lack of burst and change of direction is keeping him from being anywhere near his best. I'm just not sure the staff would, or even could, afford to do that at this juncture in the season.

DRob was better last night, Kobe could be a legit stud if he becomes consistent with his route running and with his hands over the middle of the field, obviously two things receivers are expected to be good at.

When I said that I thought Nix would become Captain F'n Auburn in Happy Valley, last night's performance was what I was expecting. That was all guts, combined with an intelligent usage of his entire skill set by the OC. Also if you didn't notice, he wasn't sliding, nor running out of bounds too often. Fist bump for #10 on that! TJ has made Bo better, simply by being there as someone else who has and can be called upon.

Major foundational win for Harsin! Breaking a two decade streak, after a week of taking unbridled sh** from the media all week, and recovering from near disaster on Homecoming, it shows that he has some legit coaching moxy about himself. That stuff bleeds over into the kids too!

As for uga week..... Whether it be on Friday nights, Saturdays, or Sundays, lesser teams than Auburn beat teams as superior to their talent as georgia is somewhere every damn week!
it's not rational to expect Auburn to win this game. It's completely rational to expect a team who found some mojo in Baton Rouge to feed off a rabid insane asylum of a home crowd and GET ALL THE WAY AFTER georgia's ASS FOR FOUR QUARTERS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News