ADVERTISEMENT

For those of you wondering what the Black National

I don't understand the need to play a national anthem for singular race. If the true national anthem is so divisive for the players quit playing it. I don't know many other entertainment avenues that require the national anthem to be played before it starts. Could you imagine having to sing the national anthem before you watch a movie?

I don’t care if they play it before sporting events or not. I do enjoy it though. However it is completely stupid and wrong to play a national anthem AND an anthem for a singular race. You are only making matters worse through this divisive display.
I’m all for stopping playing it before games of all kind.

Unless we all sing together like it was originally sung - by drunks in bars.

Reactions: Hornacious
I just want to know who decided that playing Lift Every Voice. Like what was the process? Did they even speak to Black grassroots and community based groups about this? LOL
I’d imagine the players association suggested it.

This feels like a @Bob Mapplethorpe thread
200.gif

just curious, if someone from say, the daughters of the confederacy or from NASCAR , called a song the white national anthem and we were talking about playing it at NFL games or other sporting events, would that be ok? Would that be a good idea or would it seem divisive? To your earlier point, It isn’t a white national anthem just because someone said it was but I’m guessing that won’t matter.

Remember those White Schools
Or the White bus seats
How about the white drinking fountain
White doctors

That didnt go over so well, and its because they didnt want segregation, so we gave it to them, now they want it back. Color me confused.

Reactions: tigerh
What’s going to happen is certain folks will stand for the black anthem and then kneel for the national anthem. Sorry but some have a problem with that.
And some will kneel for the other and stand for the real National Anthem.

To me the issue is that America seems to be going backwards in the way we approach racism. Instead of uniting everyone over the issue, the media is driving a wedge between us with some of the ridiculous “reporting” they are doing. It feels like we are headed more down a segregation path than an American path (which blows my mind).

I don’t have an issue with the anthem not being played before games - I like the song and I stand in honor when it is played but if it is truly offensive or divisive then we should look at it. something tells me it is just another ploy to divide us and that is what is frustrating. Can we not focus on the inherit good of all people and leave it at that? Does every single media story have to be about race? Does every issue have to be turned into a race issue? It is maddening and has done more harm than good in my opinion.

Is this something about which you’re actually “just curious” or are you simply trying to come up with some asinine scenario that you and I both know isn’t within the realm of possibility?

I completely agree, it wouldn’t actually be the “white” national anthem, just like there is no “black national anthem”.
Whatever decision private organizations like the NFL or other sports make, will be judged by their customer base. That’s what determines if it’s ok.
BTW, until you asked this question, I haven’t mentioned what sports will or won’t choose to do. I simply said it’s a good/inspirational song and it’s not a National Anthem. I’m sorry that has so many here triggered, but I’m not surprised.

Is there a reason you keep referring to it as a "black anthem" while everywhere it's being reported its being reported and discussed, it's referred to as the "black national anthem"

Reactions: 94WDE and AUzad
Is there a reason you keep referring to it as a "black anthem" while everywhere it's being reported its being reported and discussed, it's referred to as the "black national anthem"
Well, by “keep referring to it as...” I can only assume you are referring to the one time I did so. Yes there is a reason I referred to it as a “black anthem” and anthem is defined as - a rousing or uplifting song identified with a particular group, body, or cause. This particular song meets that definition perfectly.

a member of the NAACP labeled it the “Black National Anthem”. As you mentioned, it is often referred to by that name and in this instance, it’s going to be referenced as such almost constantly because it affects the desired response, as has been exhibited on this board. The truth is, it’s just a song, a powerful song that means a lot to a lot of people but it’s no National Anthem of anyone simply because a guy many years ago Decided to call it that.

Reactions: reely989
A lot of y'all are getting real worked up over this. The "Black National Anthem" has been around and played in the black community forever. If you attend any Black History program it is sung there almost as a requirement. I understand most here haven't attended a ton of those. The point of playing the song is about the NFL being more consciously inclusive of the 75% of its employees. It amazes me how pissy folks are being about an ADDITIONAL song being played. They play "God Bless America" and "This Land Is Your Land" , "God Bless the USA" and other "patriotic" songs at games all the time. Nobody ever gives a shit. This one just happens to have been labeled as the "Black National Anthem", and now all hell has broken loose. It's no different than "I Will Survive" being labeled the Gay National Anthem. It is sad to see how close minded folks are in this thread.

Well, by “keep referring to it as...” I can only assume you are referring to the one time I did so. Yes there is a reason I referred to it as a “black anthem” and anthem is defined as - a rousing or uplifting song identified with a particular group, body, or cause. This particular song meets that definition perfectly.

a member of the NAACP labeled it the “Black National Anthem”. As you mentioned, it is often referred to by that name and in this instance, it’s going to be referenced as such almost constantly because it affects the desired response, as has been exhibited on this board. The truth is, it’s just a song, a powerful song that means a lot to a lot of people but it’s no National Anthem of anyone simply because a guy many years ago Decided to call it that.

Thanks. If you could, could you please inform the NFL and all the national media of this correction. Sounds like they keep referring to this song as the wrong thing

A lot of y'all are getting real worked up over this. The "Black National Anthem" has been around and played in the black community forever. If you attend any Black History program it is sung there almost as a requirement. I understand most here haven't attended a ton of those. The point of playing the song is about the NFL being more consciously inclusive of the 75% of its employees. It amazes me how pissy folks are being about an ADDITIONAL song being played. They play "God Bless America" and "This Land Is Your Land" , "God Bless the USA" and other "patriotic" songs at games all the time. Nobody ever gives a shit. This one just happens to have been labeled as the "Black National Anthem", and now all hell has broken loose. It's no different than "I Will Survive" being labeled the Gay National Anthem. It is sad to see how close minded folks are in this thread.
With all due respect it’s not our country’s national anthem.

Nobody is saying it is. It is a song with a nickname. No legal standing. Seems snowflake soft to get bothered by this JMO. Did you even know the song existed 4 weeks ago?
You mention the “75%” black employees what about the other races in the nfl. Should the other 25% have their songs played also? I had no idea the song existed.

Thanks. If you could, could you please inform the NFL and all the national media of this correction. Sounds like they keep referring to this song as the wrong thing
Yeah, that’s actually none of my concern. Many people have referred to the song in those terms but it’s simply because the moniker stuck. Lots of people say Alabama has won 17 national championships. Does that make it true?
It’s a powerful and inspiring song. I 100% understand why it holds such an honored place for many black Americans but it’s not a national anthem. There’s only one of those.

You mention the “75%” black employees what about the other races in the nfl. Should the other 25% have their songs played also? I had no idea the song existed.
If the NFL wants to play a special song (they might already,I don't know) before the anthem during its Hispanic Heritage month I won't GAS. If it decides to play an Asian song of significance before the anthem 1 week, a few weeks, every game, I won't GAS. They can have a disco dance party before the games. As long as they kickoff on time I'm good.

I blame the NFL. Not for playing the song, but if it never got out it was going to be played, and they just played it, no one would care, because most would not know it was considered the "black national anthem" until they got home and looked up that one song that was played before the game.

Is it "patriotic" or is it targeted?

They used the song's "nickname" for a reason. And, no, it's not snowflake soft to be upset over its usage in this manner. To claim that this PR stunt is for inclusiveness is pitiful. Do those 75% of (millionaire) "employees" really need to be placated before a sporting event?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT