ADVERTISEMENT

City of BHM cuts ties with Church of the Highlands....so sad

He shouldn't have had to issue an apology at all. Hodges has done more for that community and other black communities than any other church dared to even try.

Dangerous road to travel when you can't have an opinion or you show support for THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

Lots of people didn't vote for Obama but also didn't have an 8 year temper tantrum while he was in offense. The thought of honoring a person in a position of authority is gone. Goes for teachers, law enforcement and ELECTED officials.

He didn't have to issue an apology, particularly considering that he gained nothing for it.

Reactions: 1959
His apology wasn't an apology and his explanation made 0 sense

Can you elaborate on why this was not an apology?

STrStDH.png

Reactions: DP5793
Starbucks about to get over loaded by pay it forward folks!

You mean like the funds to pay the 225k salary that the last leader of the Birmingham Housing Authority was getting?
https://www.al.com/news/2020/03/lundy-out-as-birmingham-housing-authority-presidentceo.html
Personally, I don't think $225,000 is that crazy. That position is over all the public housing in Birmingham. I'm fine with them making money. You pay crap you get crap. If you pay well, you tend to get better talent. In general, most people -- including most government employees included -- are significantly underpaid.

Reactions: AUTaxMan
We could also just fund those same programs with our tax dollars...
And yet we (or the city of Birmingham) didn’t have to because a church, in an attempt to bridge divides and mend long standing racial fissures in our community. I know many of you believe with all your heart that government funding is the answer to every social ill. The truth is, as I have learned over the past couple of decades, getting my money is important to help those in need of help but my presence is even more important, for them and for me. It’s the way we become a community. It’s the way we learn to understand that we are more same than different.
I would love to have you roll up your sleeves and join me and try and make a difference instead of waiting for the government to do it. If your interested, just DM me.

He shouldn't have had to issue an apology at all. Hodges has done more for that community and other black communities than any other church dared to even try.

Dangerous road to travel when you can't have an opinion or you show support for THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

Lots of people didn't vote for Obama but also didn't have an 8 year temper tantrum while he was in offense. The thought of honoring a person in a position of authority is gone. Goes for teachers, law enforcement and ELECTED officials.
This is just absurdly dishonest. Maybe you can try to wiggle out of it by saying "lots," which is indeterminate in terms of quantity, but Fox News tried to scandalize the fact that he wore a tan suit to a press conference.

The literal governor of West Virginia said last week that he wouldn't welcome President Obama to his state.

They said his wife was actually a man.

You may be a reasonable person who didn't fall for the pearl-clutching that conservative media engaged in -- and then subsequently mainlined into its viewers veins -- but many, many people did. In fact, there are still people who genuinely believe that Obama was more scandal-plagued than our current administration.

And yet we (or the city of Birmingham) didn’t have to because a church, in an attempt to bridge divides and mend long standing racial fissures in our community. I know many of you believe with all your heart that government funding is the answer to every social ill. The truth is, as I have learned over the past couple of decades, getting my money is important to help those in need of help but my presence is even more important, for them and for me. It’s the way we become a community. It’s the way we learn to understand that we are more same than different.
I would love to have you roll up your sleeves and join me and try and make a difference instead of waiting for the government to do it. If your interested, just DM me.
Do you feel like you've made any assumptions about me? Take a few positions and then let's just see whether you're right or wrong -- hint: you're probably wrong.

Do you feel like you've made any assumptions about me? Take a few positions and then let's just see whether you're right or wrong -- hint: you're probably wrong.
I don’t think so. I don’t even think I offered an opinion about you, but if you think I have, feel free to share.

Reactions: Russ47
Personally, I don't think $225,000 is that crazy. That position is over all the public housing in Birmingham. I'm fine with them making money. You pay crap you get crap. If you pay well, you tend to get better talent. In general, most people -- including most government employees included -- are significantly underpaid.
So to solve the brutality problem we should not defund the police but in fact pay them more? I agree 100%

Reactions: 1959
government employees are underpaid? o_O

What do you think it means, Mr. Mule?
Fascism looks a lot like the looting, hating, dividing LEFT that is destroying our country under the guise of tolerance and peace.

It also looks much like the oddly named Antifa, again under the guise of anti fascism when in fact by very definition are being fascists. There is no such thing as free speech on the left.

Saying something was mistake that was done on multiple occasions. He liked stuff he doesnt believe in?

So, if someone makes a mistake or 15 mistakes and apologizes for it, it's not an apology? I honestly don't understand your logic.

Should people be allowed to reconsider a previous attitude or position and make amends ... or is life just a one-and-done for you?

This is just absurdly dishonest. Maybe you can try to wiggle out of it by saying "lots," which is indeterminate in terms of quantity, but Fox News tried to scandalize the fact that he wore a tan suit to a press conference.

The literal governor of West Virginia said last week that he wouldn't welcome President Obama to his state.

They said his wife was actually a man.

You may be a reasonable person who didn't fall for the pearl-clutching that conservative media engaged in -- and then subsequently mainlined into its viewers veins -- but many, many people did. In fact, there are still people who genuinely believe that Obama was more scandal-plagued than our current administration.
If you click your heels three times and have just one more witness you could prove that Russian conspiracy I bet.

It’s actually a pretty big deal. A lot of people who otherwise would not receive help, have been helped in the past three years. The city just said, no thank you to that help.
I’m not a member of that fellowship but their outreach into Birmingham is significant and admirable.
Church of The Highlands is an Awesome church. Our son and two daughters loved COTH while attending Auburn. When were in Auburn, my wife and I attend services at COTH and often watch their services online when home in TX. This church does so much for the communities and state (I think they're in at least 14 AL correctional facilities as well). There Hope Centers are a blessing to the communities.

I wasn't aware of this "controversy" but I fully support Pastor Hodges and Charlie Kirk. However, if Pastor Hodges did indeed do a "drew brees", that's disappointing.

Reactions: AUPooch and 1959
How much can the guy disagree politically with the Birmingham Housing Authority and it not be “hurtful”?

I feel certain he’s allowed to like a whole bunch of social media content with impunity so long as it conforms to a particular “orthodoxy”.

Fascism looks a lot like the looting, hating, dividing LEFT that is destroying our country under the guise of tolerance and peace.

It also looks much like the oddly named Antifa, again under the guise of anti fascism when in fact by very definition are being fascists. There is no such thing as free speech on the left.
The fact that you think people rioting for racial justice is tantamount to fascism just shows how little you really understand the concept.

Just google the definition and then remember that police forces across the country have been tear gassing, harassing, and beating peaceful protestors.

So to solve the brutality problem we should not defund the police but in fact pay them more? I agree 100%
I think police are underpaid in most places, yes. If we didn't pay so poorly, we might actually get people on the force who aren't the dumbest people you went to high school with.

Church of The Highlands is an Awesome church. Our son and two daughters loved COTH while attending Auburn. When were in Auburn, my wife and I attend services at COTH and often watch their services online when home in TX. This church does so much for the communities and state (I think they're in at least 14 AL correctional facilities as well). There Hope Centers are a blessing to the communities.

I wasn't aware of this "controversy" but I fully support Pastor Hodges and Charlie Kirk. However, if Pastor Hodges did indeed do a "drew brees", that's disappointing.
I have no idea who Charlie Kirk is. Tonight is the first time I’ve ever heard his name. I would say though, if you trust Chris Hodges, and you believe him to be a man of high character, then why would you be disappointed in him if he searched his heart and chose to apologize? Chris is a minister of the Gospel and appears to be a man who is actually attempting to be and lead others to be, the hands and feet of God. To build bridges to span the gap of racial divide. If he feels this association hinders the advancement of the Gospel or his efforts to build those bridges, Why would he not walk away from it?

Reactions: Creed Monster
No assumptions whatsoever? If not, what was the point of your post?
The point of my post was, yes, the government could fund these programs, but it doesn’t have to. A group of people are willing and able to not just find it but also provide the manpower to facilitate it.

The point was, helping, physically being involved and sacrificing your own money, offers assistance that a government check can never give and it returns a dividend that blindly paying the government can never offer.

The point was to offer you a chance to join me in trying to make a difference.

again, I don’t think I offered an opinion on you at all. I actually agreed with you. The government can indeed fund the programs. I just explained why it doesn’t makes sense to do so.

Reactions: Docdumpsta and 1959
I’m sure you live in Ensley and donate 90% of your pay to your liberal causes right? Otherwise you are just full of shit. But of course you know that. LOL!

Reactions: AUPooch
I think police are underpaid in most places, yes. If we didn't pay so poorly, we might actually get people on the force who aren't the dumbest people you went to high school with.
Wait, you aren’t on board with disbanding the police departments across the country?!?!?

Reactions: AUPooch
I have no idea who Charlie Kirk is. Tonight is the first time I’ve ever heard his name. I would say though, if you trust Chris Hodges, and you believe him to be a man of high character, then why would you be disappointed in him if he searched his heart and chose to apologize? Chris is a minister of the Gospel and appears to be a man who is actually attempting to be and lead others to be, the hands and feet of God. To build bridges to span the gap of racial divide. If he feels this association hinders the advancement of the Gospel or his efforts to build those bridges, Why would he not walk away from it?
If he “searched his heart” and decided to apologize for absolutely nothing then he might need to search a little harder to see why he decided to pander to the lowest common denominator. Absolutely ridiculous. Folding this easy is a black mark for a religious “leader”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT