ADVERTISEMENT

City of BHM cuts ties with Church of the Highlands....so sad

ecmdvm

First Team
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2006
The Housing Authority of the Birmingham District Board of Commissioners Monday voted to end a partnership with Church of the Highlands. Commissioners cited recent controversy with Pastor Chris Hodges and social media activity.

The Housing Authority of Birmingham, has since 2017, had a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the church, Alabama’s largest, for resident outreach programs and social services at its Campus of Hope located in the Marks Village Public Housing community. These outreach programs and social services included mentoring, community support groups and faith and social service activities that promote volunteerism. These services were provided at nine of HABD’s public housing communities.

HABD did not pay COTH for their services. The vote to cancel the memorandum with COTH will also end services provided by The Dream Center and Christ Health Center, which are ministries within the COTH.

Hodges came under fire for following and liking social media posts by Charlie Kirk, president of the conservative non-profit Turning Point USA, a high school and college campus organization often controversial for its political stances. He issued an apology to his church on May 31.

The Housing Authority of the Birmingham District Board of Commissioners Monday voted to end a partnership with Church of the Highlands. Commissioners cited recent controversy with Pastor Chris Hodges and social media activity.

The Housing Authority of Birmingham, has since 2017, had a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the church, Alabama’s largest, for resident outreach programs and social services at its Campus of Hope located in the Marks Village Public Housing community. These outreach programs and social services included mentoring, community support groups and faith and social service activities that promote volunteerism. These services were provided at nine of HABD’s public housing communities.

HABD did not pay COTH for their services. The vote to cancel the memorandum with COTH will also end services provided by The Dream Center and Christ Health Center, which are ministries within the COTH.

Hodges came under fire for following and liking social media posts by Charlie Kirk, president of the conservative non-profit Turning Point USA, a high school and college campus organization often controversial for its political stances. He issued an apology to his church on May 31.
WGAF?...

Does Hodges run the whole church himself ?

Reactions: 1959

Career politician's are plague on our society they are all crooks. I not fan of COTH style church but this seem pretty.

Bham has history of making terrible decisions that why it D-list city, not surprising...

Reactions: orientalthunder
it’s interesting watching society fire people for being conservative, fire them for their spouses actions, and now withhold valuable services that the city could not otherwise provide because they didn’t like something a preacher liked on instagram.

and conservatives are the fascists?

Short sighted, knee jerk and illogical. Typical response these days.

it’s interesting watching society fire people for being conservative, fire them for their spouses actions, and now withhold valuable services that the city could not otherwise provide because they didn’t like something a preacher liked on instagram.

Think about the good these outreach programs provide and the city is just walking away from that. Then you have Governors and Presidential candidates going to a funeral and honoring a guy who put a gun to a pregnant women’s stomach and robbed her. George Floyd’s death was tragic and never should have happened. But to make him out to be a martyr and turning him into some kind of hero is just crazy in my mind. You admit that this cop did something horrible and you work on ways to fix it so it does not happen again. People’s priorities are upside down now.

Rant over. Sorry for the hijack.

Yes.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like both sides are going to be fine after this. It's really not that big of a deal. Some other religious organization will fill that void and I think COTH will survive.

Holy crap he Liked a post. I hope he loses his job.

Dis thang wiz gaining a lotttta STEEEEEM
Maybe it's just me but I feel like both sides are going to be fine after this. It's really not that big of a deal. Some other religious organization will fill that void and I think COTH will survive.
the thang iz HIGHLANDS haz a TUN OF JACK and thay iz not shy about giving it away to NEEEDY GROUPS. Foe BIRMINHAM to cut them out will hert folks who git FREE AID rite now.

Reactions: 1959
Good gosh, this is lunacy. For being a "white" church, Highlands is probably the most diverse of the bunch in the Bham metro. They have numerous black pastors / worship leaders and do all sorts of outreach for underprivileged groups. They have a massive prison ministry as well.

Apparently for the mob exacting revenge, if you aren't perfect, you're trash to be discarded. The woke police have kicked community help to the curb.

His apology wasn't an apology and his explanation made 0 sense
He shouldn't have had to issue an apology at all. Hodges has done more for that community and other black communities than any other church dared to even try.

Dangerous road to travel when you can't have an opinion or you show support for THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

Lots of people didn't vote for Obama but also didn't have an 8 year temper tantrum while he was in office. The thought of honoring a person in a position of authority is gone. Goes for teachers, law enforcement and ELECTED officials.

Last edited:

I can assure you that one side will fare worse than the other in this situation.

Reactions: Docdumpsta and 1959
ADVERTISEMENT