ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL TIGER TALK REVIEW: Carnell Comes Alive! (11-3-22)

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
jww4Iqd.jpg

We're back for a special week — the first with Carnell Williams atop the program.

LIST OF AFFILIATES AND LINKS

PREDICTION:
Carnell is fired up to be the interim head coach, for real!

Ronnie Brown is up first to tell us how great Carnell is. RB says Carnell needs to be himself ... and let that be enough. Sage advice.

Second up is John Samuel Shenker, the senior tight end.

"Monday, obviously, was a very tough day. A lot going on, a lot of changes."

"To get that news was sad. It was hard to move on that day. We are dealing without some of our coaches, but we're trying to push the envelope and enjoy playing football these last four weeks of the regular season."

"On the field, it's easier. You're just focusing on ball. In the locker room, it is different just knowing what's happened. Most places you look, you realize that some guys aren't here anymore and that brings back memories."

"We're playing for the Auburn family. We're playing for Auburn and for each other."

On the offense: "It starts with the quarterback, Robby. He's gotten more playing time. He's done a great job of minimizing mistakes and learning from them. It's been great to see that."

On if the offense will change: "I don't think you can change too much because it's so late in the season. I wouldn't expect too much. Coach Friend and Coach Ike ... they have some things they may like. You want the mindset to stay the same and the play calls to stay the same."

On MSU: "They try to confuse you, they bring a lot of different looks. Just knowing your rules and not getting lose in all the movement that they do ..."

On being married when things get crazy: "Just that support and knowing I can go home and she'll listen and understand and try to be as supportive as possible. It has been beneficial for me to have my wife beside me during these times."

On helping some younger players through this: "I couldn't imagine being a young guy, a freshman, being in here (right now). You committed to certain guys. It is sad. We love Coach Bedell. In this business, that's the rick you have when you come to college. You came here to play football. Just push this behind you if you can. Some guys have handled it well and some haven't."

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Not Andy asks if Carnell's had any sleep. "Hmmmmm. What you think ... over and under. I'm running on 6 to 8 hours of sleep right now. For some reason, I can't sleep. I'm up late. The crazy thing about it is I wake up after two hours of a sleep and I feel rested. It's been a little hectic, but I'm enjoying every moment of it."

Andy asks about the calls and texts. "I'm so blessed — the amount of people who have reached out. If you're listening, I apologize. I have 300 texts I haven't gotten to yet. I'm honored. So many former players from that 2004 (team) to my buddies, this brotherhood, this family. It's real."

"We're going to roll our sleeves up and we're going to play Auburn football."

Not Andy asks about Carnell's journey in coaching. "My coaching journey started in 2015. (Mentions that he was on "auto-pilot" with his wife after his NFL career ended after 2011. Got his degree in 2014.) My wife was telling me ... why don't you try coaching? You an your friends all sit on the phone and ... all y'all do is talk about football. I do love the game of football. I love to serve. I know how important that player-coach relationship is. It changed the trajectory ... of my life. I reached out to the NFLPA. They said they partner with Division II programs. Winded up going off to Henderson State in 2015 and, man, I had a ball coaching there. It made me feel so good, that purpose. I had purpose. I was back. From there, I went to West Georgia. From there, I had an opportunity the very next year at IMG. Coached there from 2017 to 2018. Then I got an opportunity to coach with the Birmingham Iron. The rest is history. We were in training camp in San Antonio, January 21st, 2019 ... Auburn's running backs job was open. I didn't know Coach Malzahn. I was thinking in the back of my head that it was a good fit, but I was having a great time coaching with the Iron. Coach Malzahn calls me. I couldn't even focus; we had an hour left in practice. As soon as we got off the practice field ... I ran off the field and called him. He said ... they had a position open. He was so honest with me. He had guys who were more qualified. He said everybody talked so highly about me and he wanted to fly down to meet me. I don't even know the name of the Mexican restaurant we met at ... but I told him: 'Coach, I know Auburn. I can relate to players. I know I can recruit, I can get guys in there.' He flies back after that meeting from 7 to 9:30. About 11 o'clock (the next night) ... I had to press reject (on his call) because I was in a staff meeting. At 11:45, I called him. He said 'the job is yours.' Then he's like: How fast can you get here. I said: When do you need me? I was there the first thing in the morning. That was January 23rd. The rest is history."

(Man, what a refreshing change that answer was!!!!)

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Andy asks about his message to the team: "That's what makes this place special — the family part of it. I had an opportunity to visit that other school, Florida State, Tennessee, LSU. Those are the official visits I went on. I grew a fan of that other school. I grew up going to those games since I was 11 years old. For the first time, in 2000, I came to the Auburn-Georgia game. That's when it got started with these people between those walls. The feel! Recruits know. They feel the Auburn spirit, that blue-collar (attitude). You have to start with family. We are together. We are unified here."

"Then it's work hard work. I was fortunate enough to play for coaches who held me accountable. (mentions pee wee coach, middle school coach, high school coach) And then the recruiting aspect of it. We have to recruit. This is where dreams come true — on the Plains. It starts with us recruiting with our best tool — our family. And that work hard work mentality and treating people right. I want everybody to know ... people who know me know I never live for next. I live in this time now. I'm a firm believer in being where your feet are. We are going to embrace this time. We're going to chop wood and see what happens."

(THIS IS INCREDIBLE!!!)

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Not Andy asking about getting ready for MSU: "We are behind the 8 ball. Our kids are hurt. A lot of guys were let go. I put my arms around these guys. I told them ... that we are going to get through this together. I've got to tip my hat to this staff. We've been up here ... every night, grinding to get this game plan together. Mississippi State is a good football team. We know that we've got to be at our best, but we are excited about this opportunity. We think we have a good plan together and ... these kids are believing. We're going to come out Saturday and see what happens."

NO WAR EAGLE NEEDED AFTER THAT ONE, FOLKS.

BE GOOD. BE YOU. BE WHERE YOUR FEET ARE.

--30--

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News