ADVERTISEMENT

Serious PSA for parents out there

Scott Stapp Enthusiast

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2018
Pronouns : He/Him
I had to give my son the heimlich (sp?) tonight because he was choking on a sliver of bacon fat.

It was the cheap pre cooked bacon that I thoroughly cooked and it was on a dry biscuit. He managed to get the only fatty piece still not fully cooked in the batch.

I was standing right there so I was able to recognize it immediately. He didn't make any distress signal, wasn't slamming his hand or anything, grabbing his throat.

I'm not certified in CPR or anything and I probably should be.

I gave him a few seconds to try and clear it himself before I picked him up and gave him the heave-ho.

This is the second time I've had to do it for him.

I say all this to say:

1. Learn to do the heimlich if you are able to. I probably did it all wrong but it still worked.

2. Always be in the room when your kids are eating. He's 10 and likes to make his own meals especially on lazy Saturdays. I probably need to start monitoring him more.

3. Bacon, grapes, hotdogs have all given us problems with choking so please be mindful of these foods with your kids.

4. Understand that someone choking isn't going to be like in the movies and if you ask them "are you ok" and they don't answer you might need to jump into action.

Thank you for reading and have a great night!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News