ADVERTISEMENT

Boy, do I hesitate to do this but here goes.

Just turn off cnn and it will all go away. No one in their right mind cares any more. Wrong board for this garbage anyway.

So these basketball games being cancelled won’t be cancelled if I don’t watch cnn?

Good thing that the symptoms are not severe and are similar to a cold.
*Less severe than a cold.

The common cold kills a few people every year.

The worldwide Omicron death count stands at 0.

We are reordering society and destroying our standard of living over the sniffles, actually over tests that say people who feel fine should have the sniffles.

Reactions: BIGAUBURN

We are reordering society and destroying our standard of living over the sniffles, actually over tests that say people who feel fine should have the sniffles.

I kind of get this.

That said, people get the sniffles or feeling pretty crappy and coupled with all the fear mongering they're bum-rushing the ER.

Someone has a heart attack, needs surgery, etc....they're not going to get the most adequate care.

A new study out of Columbia University says the Omicron variant is “markedly resistant” to vaccines and boosters might not do much to help.

The concluding statement is sobering:

“It is not too far-fetched to think that this [COVID-19] is now only a mutation or two away from being pan-resistant to current antibodies,” it says. “We must devise strategies that anticipate the evolutional direction of the virus and develop agents that target better conserved viral elements.”

https://www.biorxiv.org/.../2021.12.14.472719v1.full.pdf
Again, who cares?? It's like getting a cold. Zero deaths. Zero hospitalizations. It's literally a complete nothing burger. Every single person in the country could catch it tomorrow and not one bad thing would happen. If someone is gonna die from the Omicron variant, then they would die from the flu or even a bad cold. Just stop.

Again, who cares?? It's like getting a cold. Zero deaths. Zero hospitalizations. It's literally a complete nothing burger. Every single person in the country could catch it tomorrow and not one bad thing would happen. If someone is gonna die from the Omicron variant, then they would die from the flu or even a bad cold. Just stop.

Holy hell. You can’t really believe this. You think there have been zero hospitalizations and deaths in South Africa?

It’s less severe but explain the following:

A new study out of Columbia University says the Omicron variant is “markedly resistant” to vaccines and boosters might not do much to help.

The concluding statement is sobering:

“It is not too far-fetched to think that this [COVID-19] is now only a mutation or two away from being pan-resistant to current antibodies,” it says. “We must devise strategies that anticipate the evolutional direction of the virus and develop agents that target better conserved viral elements.”

https://www.biorxiv.org/.../2021.12.14.472719v1.full.pdf

Let's all PRAY that a virulent, therapy/tool resistant strain does NOT show up. I've been alluding to, screaming, talking constantly, SHOUTING about this possibility since the very beginning of this thing. Let's just hope that it doesn't happen.

Reactions: Breumiacu_AU
That’s not how viruses work.
That’s not how viruses work. They need hosts. If they kill everyone, then they die too.
Except that is not the way a virus mutates. Science is yore friend.

Yikes. I believe a more accurate statement would be, "Except, that's the the way viruses USUALLY work/mutate".

Always keep in mind that this is a really weird, potentially, engineered pathogen, so all bets are off, and even in normal situations, there are no guarantees with mother nature.

Last edited:
Holy hell. You can’t really believe this. You think there have been zero hospitalizations and deaths in South Africa?
Yes. Been quote after quote saying it's just symptoms of a cold. The Dr that discovered the variant even said he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about. It's literally NOTHING.

Yes. Been quote after quote saying it's just symptoms of a cold. The Dr that discovered the variant even said he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about. It's literally NOTHING.

See graph above. It should be way less severe than delta but it’s going to cause deaths and hospitalizations because it’s going to hit a lot of people.

While it’s true that vaccine antibodies are only 33% effective against this variant, the T cell immune response is just as effective against it as it is against the original alpha virus. It’s the T cell response which protects against severe disease and hospitalizations.

If what you're saying is solid, true and scientifically proven, why do you feel we are being advised to get boosters, and likely to enter a steady cycle of boosting?

May be. May not be. Asteroid may also. You may get in a car wreck. Live your life and quit worrying about shit you can’t control.

I agree that we shouldn't flake over the things that we DON'T control, but do you agree that it's good survival instincts to manage the risks that you DO know about and CAN manage? This one clearly falls into the latter category.

If what you're saying is solid, true and scientifically proven, why do you feel we are being advised to get boosters, and likely to enter a steady cycle of boosting?
Boosters will prolong the effectiveness of the T cell response. The effectiveness degrades over time and so the booster is needed.

Yikes. I believe a more accurate statement would be, "Except, that's the the way viruses USUALLY work/mutate".

Always keep in mind that this is a really weird, potentially, engineered pathogen, so all bets are off, and even in normal situations, there are no guarantees with mother nature.
They mutate, but typically to less severe strains. They don’t get stronger with each mutation.

Boosters will prolong the effectiveness of the T cell response. The effectiveness degrades over time and so the booster is needed.

What you've said does not add up. You said that the new vaccines give us long-lasting and robust T cell responses, and that despite immunological efficacy from the vaccines falling to 33%, that the T-cell response remains strong, and THAT'S what will provide protection against severe illness and death.

Then, when I asked you if what you said is true, then why would we need boosters, you are saying that the boosters will enable the T-cell response. So either what you said initially is true, and we don't need boosters, or it's false. Do you understand the logical fallacy?

Last edited:
They mutate, but typically to less severe strains. They don’t get stronger with each mutation.

Absolutely. And that's why I modified your statement to include the all important word "USUALLY". You stated it as if it were definitive fact, and I was just providing a reminder that nothing is guaranteed with mother nature, and ESPECIALLY not with this super weird, potentially engineered pathogen. It's a weird little bug in numerous ways.

We're all on the same boat hoping and praying that it DOES indeed hold to form. Delta didn't, but all current signs point to Omicron following this pattern. HOPEFULLY, this starts the normal trend. ;)

Reactions: tugmac

That’s not quite true. Our Covid census has doubled in the last week (from 6 to 12) and 3 of those patients have confirmed Omicron. More testing pending on recent admits.

In fact, one of those hospitalized is a colleague with confirmed Omicron. But I think he was being discharged home today. None of those in the ICU however have Omicron. Those are still delta.

Reactions: stutsman23
That’s not quite true. Our Covid census has doubled in the last week (from 6 to 12) and 3 of those patients have confirmed Omicron. More testing pending on recent admits.

In fact, one of those hospitalized is a colleague with confirmed Omicron. But I think he was being discharged home today. None of those in the ICU however have Omicron. Those are still delta.
Again, it's not serious. People may go to the hospital, but they just need to drink fluids and stay home for a couple days. Quit clogging up the hospitals.

Again, it's not serious. People may go to the hospital, but they just need to drink fluids and stay home for a couple days. Quit clogging up the hospitals.

Goodness gracious. He just said they were hospitalized due to omicron. Do you think they mistakenly admitted them? Do you really think people aren’t getting hospitalized due to omicron? ICU will be rare but there will be plenty of hospitalized.

Repeat: No one has died from Omicron

COVID-19 infection rates are soaring across South Africa as a result of the highly mutated Omicron variant of the coronavirus, but fewer people have died or required hospital treatment compared with previous waves of the disease, according to health officials.

South Africa on Wednesday recorded its highest number of cases since the spread of the pandemic, driven by the rapid spread of Omicron. However, Dr Michelle Groome, of the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD), said on Friday that hospitalisations have not increased “at such a dramatic rate”.

“We are starting to see some increases, but relatively small increases in deaths,” she told a news conference.

This lack of graph respect will not stand.

Do you think people who are not serious and correct, produce graphs? I would like to see the graph showing that.

See above, dumbass. It seems SA thinks people are dying of omicron in SA.

COVID-19 infection rates are soaring across South Africa as a result of the highly mutated Omicron variant of the coronavirus, but fewer people have died or required hospital treatment compared with previous waves of the disease, according to health officials.

South Africa on Wednesday recorded its highest number of cases since the spread of the pandemic, driven by the rapid spread of Omicron. However, Dr Michelle Groome, of the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD), said on Friday that hospitalisations have not increased “at such a dramatic rate”.

“We are starting to see some increases, but relatively small increases in deaths,” she told a news conference.

You need a hobby Stump. Waxing your eyebrows doesn’t count.

I agree that we shouldn't flake over the things that we DON'T control, but do you agree that it's good survival instincts to manage the risks that you DO know about and CAN manage? This one clearly falls into the latter category.
Depends on how far you take it. I could put myself in a bubble and never leave my home if my sole goal was to mitigate risk. It’s about trade offs. The lower the risk (I.e. if I’m risking the equivalent of a cold) I’m not doing anything to avoid it because the downside is basically nil.

Same. Hitting the golf course in a couple of hours and I was fighting a little bit of a hook last time out. That’s what’s got my attention
Can’t believe you are complaining about a hook ITT. A hook is ten times better than a slice. You should have to tell everyone that you are “blessed” for a solid month for this crap!

Reactions: warchief64
Goodness gracious. He just said they were hospitalized due to omicron. Do you think they mistakenly admitted them? Do you really think people aren’t getting hospitalized due to omicron? ICU will be rare but there will be plenty of hospitalized.

More importantly, do you think the Omicron patients that he mentioned, (especially his colleague), were vaccinated??? I eagerly await your answer.

More importantly, do you think the Omicron patients that he mentioned, (especially his colleague), were vaccinated??? I eagerly await your answer.

I have no idea. Do you think there’s a chance in hell that the ones that suffer the most during omicron will be the unvaccinated or the vaccinated? The vaccinated that need to worry are the immunicompromised and the very elderly. The avg age of those vaccinated still dying is 81. It is 69 for unvaccinated. I expect a lot less deaths for omicron but there will be some deaths. I’m just glad that delta may be gone soon. That was a mutha fvcka.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT