ADVERTISEMENT

Who has the best HS football program near an Army base?

Rachel Morand

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2010
Here's a "what would you do?" question for the athlete parents. Specifically football parents.

If you had the ability to move anywhere in the U.S. based on high school football programs AND academics, where would you choose? One condition, though, is that it needs to be close to an Army installation.

I have a friend whose son is 14 and is 6-foot-5, 218lb (Yes, you read that right. He's 14!). He just landed a starting defensive end spot on his high school varsity team. The family is moving next summer. Dad is active duty. While the Army doesn't let a solider pick and choose where he goes 100% of the time, they do get some say and can make a short list of their location preferences. The kid is also very bright and does well academically. If he works hard, he could have a real shot at a college scholarship.

I told her to shoot for Fort Moore so the son can attend Central in Phenix City. Where else should I tell her? I would say Fort Cavazos (formerly Fort Hood), but my family just left that place and it was awful. The jobs at Hood are brutal and you're lucky if you make it out of there with your career intact.

TL;DR: What high schools have the best football program and strong academics, and are within about an hour drive of an Army installation?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.