ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Update on the Football Facility

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
Good morning.

The Auburn BOT this morning is expected to approve the hire of a firm to begin designing the new Football Performance Center. This will be the first tangible step toward making this project a reality.

The BOT in September granted approval to begin searching for a firm to turn ideas into an actionable plan. We believe that task will be handled by two firms — HOK/Kansas City and Goodwyn/Mills/Cawood out of Montgomery. They previously collaborated to design the Harbert Family Recruiting Center at Jordan-Hare Stadium, which opened in July 2018.

We know this as a the "Double Wide."

We're told the project is expected to cost approximately $70 million all told, though that number almost certainly will change as things progress. We're also told that Auburn will not use this project to out-flash new clubhouse-type facilities recently completed at Clemson and LSU. Instead, the goal will be to emphasize cutting-edge technology and football-specific concepts.

There is talk that Tim Cook, Apple CEO, will be involved in the design of this facility. I have not yet been able to verify that; Cook is notoriously low-key when taking personal involvement in a project not directly related to Apple or its directly associated verticals.

No timetable for project completion exists. My best guess? Operational during the first half of 2021* early 2022.

*I am not an engineer. I'm also not a building contractor. We have some members who are, so I changed my guess based on their input.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News