ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Tub says it's time for Malzahn to get paid (again) ...

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
He was speaking on SiriusXM this afternoon and was asked about Malzahn:

"I want to say this: Gus Malzahn hasn’t gotten enough credit for how, Number 1, he beats Georgia and then he’s got to get those kids up again in 13 days to play a team that has the best player in the country. That’s Alabama. He had them ready to play, had a great game plan, and he needs to walk in and say: Listen, where’s the checkbook? Y’all need to up my salary because y’all told me this, hired this guy, hired that guy. He’s been through so much. I know because I’ve been there. He needs to get whatever he wants."

On these past five games:
"It's all about defense. That's what I like about these games at the end — the teams that play the best defense are going to win. That game the other day — it was WHAM. Everybody was getting hit. Same thing against Georgia. Now Auburn has to turn around and do the same thing. If Auburn beats Georgia, that will be the best ending of any college football team's (season) I've seen — against great opponents. To win all three of them? It'll be tough, but they have a chance."

He said Clemson has the best team. He thinks the top four teams are: Clemson, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama.

On Malzahn's improvement this season:
"If you’ve got D-line, you can control any game you play. I think that’s the key. You see so many people now hiring offensive coaches. That’s fine — as long as you’re an offensive coach like Gus Malzahn who understands: ‘I’ve got to get a defense to go along with the offense that I run. That’s what’s made Gus a great coach. He’s gone over the top. He’s become a better coach just by the simple fact by saying: ‘If I can’t get a defense … I can’t win championships.’ That’s the reason he’s where he’s at."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News