ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL The View At This Hour (2-6-22 @ 1:45 p.m.)

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
Hey, everyone.

We're having another day.

The proverbial winds are howling through Plains. Everything and everyone is getting rustled. Football coach Bryan Harsin remains in Mexico, where he intends to remain until his vacation ends. Athletic director Allen Greene continues to help investigate claims that Harsin is unfit to continue as head coach. The forces aligned against Harsin remain emboldened; they've believe enough evidence exists to remove Harsin for cause, which would affect the amount of money Harsin would be owed upon separation.

Are they correct? That's impossible for me to assess. I don't have the evidence, I haven't been in the interviews.

What I can assess is Harsin's future based on what's happening around us.

I don't see any reasonable way he gets out of this fracas as Auburn's head coach.

As long as he's the coach, which he is at this hour, there's always a chance he returns. I know to never rule anything out. With that said, I just don't see how this continues. I don't see how this damage is levied and these accusations are made and this level of disdain is on parade ... with Harsin running spring practice in three weeks. He'd have a proverbial piano on his back.

So how does this go down? The most likely scenario plays out like Jeremy Pruitt's final day at Tennessee — press conference/release without him there, fired for cause, litigators hash it out during the next xx months. Pruitt's termination still is being bargained, though UT has remained firm in its stance that Pruitt is owed nothing. There are differences between Pruitt and Harsin, though, primarily that Harsin hasn't been accused of multiple Level I NCAA violations. Harsin's problems center around the way he runs the program, the way he recruits, the way he decides which recruits receive offers, player attrition, staff attrition. This is an indictment of him as an individual.

One thing that interests me here is that Harsin knew things weren't good last week. As reported first by ESPN, Harsin attempted to meet with people above Allen Greene because he knew skepticism was rampant. He wanted to explain his plan for the future, but was told that his plan wouldn't be heard by anyone above Greene. Harsin was told by someone, not sure who, that things were stable when he left for vacation in Mexico on Thursday. It's fair to say things weren't actually stable.

Timetable? At this point, it sounds like something that would be wrapped within the next 48 hours or so. Jay Gogue must made a decision: Fire Harsin for cause, fire Harsin without cause, keep Harsin.

Auburn doesn't have much time. If a new staff must be assembled, that needs to happen before spring ball.

As I said in another thread, treachery is the brand. It's been the brand for a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News