ADVERTISEMENT

The most damning about Hew’s tenure so far…

murray_hitchock

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2020
…isn’t the fact that he decided to stick with Payton Thorne and not pursue a portal QB.

It also isn’t the fact that his portal recruiting has been sub-par in general. Outside of KLS, of course.

It’s not his “softness” with his players. It’s not that he looks disheveled, tired, and miserable.

Hew has failed thus far because of his unwillingness to maximize the talent he has ON-HAND.

It amazes me how many people look past this. I’ve heard countless arguments about how we’re not yet talented enough to run Hew’s offense. Well, fvcking change it. Adjust it. Introduce yourself to new concepts and learn about them. Have your coaches research and design ways to circumvent the lack of talent in some areas. MAXIMIZE the potential this team DOES have.

This is literally Coaching 101. At any level, any sport. As a former high school coach in multiple sports, it seems Hew should understand this. Maybe he forgot. I’m not sure.

I also see a complete unwillingness to “win ugly”. It’s almost as if he thinks about style points while he’s calling the game. But he has to be mature and reflective enough to know what these kids do well, what they don’t do well, and how to put them in the best position possible so they can be successful. He’s not doing that right now. He’s trying to force the issue and his team’s culture (that HE instilled) is too soft for that approach to be effective.

Did Gus run the “Gus Offense” in 2009 with Chris Todd? Do you think that was an “ideal situation”? Hell no. But Gus maximized what he had.

Did Gus run the “Gus Offense” in 2011 with Trotter and Moseley? Hell no. They were breaking in a completely revamped offensive line, a new quarterback, and many new receivers. But Gus maximized what we had. It wasn’t a great offense, but it kept the bottom from falling out a year early.

Did Gus run the “Gus Offense” in 2017 with Jarrett Stidham? Hell no. In fact, that offense was probably mostly Chip Lindsey’s doing, especially the expanded pass concepts. But Gus went and found himself a real QB, handed the operation off to a young up and comer, and we won the West. Gus maximized what we had.

And Gus isn’t even a great coach. He never has been. But he IS a coach, and at least halfway understood maximizing the potential of an offensive roster, even if it meant him sacrificing some principles along the way.

@penya87 @stutsman23 @Freezes Burner Phone @Will Collier

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.