ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL TATE-A-TETE: Scrimmage Two (8-19-22)

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
This scrimmage was closely guarded and included very few spectators. This was done on purpose.

The quarterbacks were average (or worse) again. I’m told Calzada is just not performing right now. OC Eric Kiesau was diplomatic about this tonight by saying it’s about ”consistency“ with Calzada, but the bottom line is that Calzada is their third-best option right now.

Kiesau said Tank didn’t go. He then added some nebulous words about how it probably wasn’t injury-related, but it probably was. I honestly think Tank is going to be fine. I think he’ll play against Mercer and he’ll play the way you think he’d play against Mercer.

Brahms didn’t go again today. It was Tate Johnson and Brandon Council at center. Make of that what you will.

Sounds like the receivers weren’t a huge part of the scrimmage because there was so much emphasis on red zone and situations inside the 20. Receivers are important in those scenarios, too. They did a satisfactory job in a supporting role today. Let’s go with that.

DC Jeff Schmedding was damn near giddy about his group’s play today. They created turnovers, they notched a couple “sacks” (not actually hitting the QBs) and generally played really sound football. That’s a credit to him and the players. I think Auburn’s defense is going to be pretty good assuming the first-team defensive front stays healthy.

Keep in mind that Tank is the offense’s primary weapon and he didn’t play. Still, the defense won this day on its own merit.

IN SHORT: More of the same. I’m still intrigued with Robby Ashford and he may end up winning this thing. He will have a permanent, every-game role regardless. I sense that he’s making more progress day-to-day than Finley right now, but Finley had a head start. I sense that lead is narrowing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News