ADVERTISEMENT

Super Conferences: The Race to 20 is On

jhead34382

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2007
The race between the SEC and the Big 10 is on to see which conference reaches 20 teams first. As of now it’s been well reported that the Big 10 is looking to force even more action with Notre Dame, but something tells me ND will hit pause button and sort out there options over the next five years (going to soak up their independence as long as they can). In turn I think the SEC will likely do the same in the interim, but both conferences have eyes on several prize schools from the ACC. With that in mind, some very nuanced moves with the ACC’s Grant of rights is going to have to happen before the emergence of 4 super conferences really transpires, but I think over the next 5 years that’s exactly what takes place. With that said, after a lot of thought, these are the 4 teams I think end up in the SEC as well as the Big 10:

SEC

UNC
Duke
Clemson
FSU

Big 10

Notre Dame
Washington
Oregon
Stanford

I know FSU and Clemson bring zero from a TV market perspective to the SEC, but they do bring cache in football and thus further national intrigue to the most dominant football conference in the country. This generates eyeballs, clicks or whatever you want to call it across the college football landscape. As far as the Big 10, they get a foothold the Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco markets along with some nice travel partners for their current LA duo, as well as a top 5 brand in Notre Dame.

After this plays out, do the ACC, Big 12, and PAC-12 play nice and figure out a way to create two 20 team super leagues, or does this just kill off those other 3 conferences. Truly an interesting world we’re living in today, and I for one am very interested to see how this all plays out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News