ADVERTISEMENT

So what triggered all this????

Lol. Conspiracy guy, are they going to make up case numbers? The cases and deaths and hospitalizations are either there or they are not. The last time they were mostly not there was June. If we can get to June numbers and stay there, we would have made it to a second flu so you speak.
So much noise. So much. And it's always the same song. Every. Fvcking. Time.

Pretending to be a covid expert has been the most meaningful experience in your life, apparently. You cling to your delusion like life itself.

Reactions: Jim in Scranton
So much noise. So much. And it's always the same song. Every. Fvcking. Time.

Pretending to be a covid expert has been the most meaningful experience in your life, apparently. You cling to your delusion like life itself.

And the noise has been right, right? A million lives lost in this country before summer most likely? I noticed you backed off your conspiracy post. Good job.

• Haha
I get that part. But why all the testing overnight? All these teams just didn't all of a sudden start feeling under the weather in the last 24. Something change on the testing level.
Link to anything showing all of these teams just changed their testing procedures? As @MattAU05 pointed out, COVID cases are back on the rise. We have been through numerous COVID waves now so the way this is playing out in terms of cases going up isn't some sort of mystery. Also as Matt said, let's all hope the new variant proves to be milder and ends up being the dominant strain so this spike in cases won't be followed by another massive spike in deaths as has been the case in all the prior waves.

My guess is that protocols get changed. I can't see schools being ok losing gate and concessions because a few guys have the sniffles.

***This is assuming the things we believe true of Omicron are true: (1) extremely contagious even among inoculated and (2) very light symptoms.

Link to anything showing all of these teams just changed their testing procedures? As @MattAU05 pointed out, COVID cases are back on the rise. We have been through numerous COVID waves now so the way this is playing out in terms of cases going up isn't some sort of mystery. Also as Matt said, let's all hope the new variant proves to be milder and ends up being the dominant strain so this spike in cases won't be followed by another massive spike in deaths as has been the case in all the prior waves.

It's called logic. Now me and @Stumpfan are making headway today, don't go ruining that.

I can’t remember what the procedures were. Was it different for each league I guess?

Omnicron is ripping through various regions so we are seeing a lot of positive tests. Early anecdotal data shows that this variant is much milder. It could very well become the dominant variant and, if it is as mild as people think, it might be a great thing. It’s just a cold. But it is a little too early. There were some people who thought/hoped Delta would be like this. Instead it ended up being more transmissible AND stronger. So we probably need more data.

Not saying I necessarily agree with the cancellations. And I certainly don’t like them. But the reason it is happening is pretty obvious.
This is the answer right here.

I really hope omicron is really the beginning of the end, proving that it is not as virulent as the others. I'm very pro-vaccine and very anti-lockdown.

I don't watch case numbers, I watch hospital capacity and deaths. That's the metric I hope we look to more in terms of making decisions to hit pause on normal again.

2 more to add... It's fairly ridiculous to think IMO that this all just happened over night. That after months of nothing, everyone just tested positive out of the blue overnight. Something triggered this mass testing.

If all of the schools have changed their testing protocols that should be pretty easy to establish. Where are the links?

Yes, this new variant just happened to arrive over night at all these schools at once, after months of nothingness.

Even you can see that doesn't smell right.

I don't expect it's NCAA driven but certain schools going above and beyond.

Last edited:
And the noise has been right, right? A million lives lost in this country before summer most likely? I noticed you backed off your conspiracy post. Good job.
75% of those deaths come from 16% of the population-65 and older. At the same time, only 52,000 dead from below 49. That would be 7% of total deaths.

At the same time, opioid deaths are up 50% in the past year. I think any intellectually honest person would agree this is due 99% to Covid response. Span that increase over 2 years (like you did for Covid) and we are talking and 50,000 -60,000 overdose deaths we wouldn’t have had without the Covid response. Given that about 80% of overdose deaths are 49 and below, Covid response has killed as many if not more people 49 and younger than the virus itself. This is just one of dozens of results-less cancer screenings, kids not in school and lost to the streets, violent crime, on and on.

With that being said, a blanket response to COVID for all ages (especially for 20 year old physical specimens which you appear fine with) may be a bit misguided. Maybe canceling basketball games is stupid. Maybe let life go on for people in much less danger.

Yes, this new variant just happened to arrive over night at all these schools at once.

Even you can see that doesn't smell right.

I don't expect it's NCAA driven but certain schools going above and beyond.
So all of these schools changed their testing procedure over night in hopes of being able to cancel games?

Are they all part of the conspiracy BB mentioned to "milk this cow." What are the schools gaining by cancelling games?

This is the answer right here.

I really hope omicron is really the beginning of the end, proving that it is not as virulent as the others. I'm very pro-vaccine and very anti-lockdown.

I don't watch case numbers, I watch hospital capacity and deaths. That's the metric I hope we look to more in terms of making decisions to hit pause on normal again.

Nah, man, Pfizer CEO says we going to 2024 :oops:

75% of those deaths come from 16% of the population-65 and older. At the same time, only 52,000 dead from below 49. That would be 7% of total deaths.

At the same time, opioid deaths are up 50% in the past year. I think any intellectually honest person would agree this is due 99% to Covid response. Span that increase over 2 years (like you did for Covid) and we are talking and 50,000 -60,000 overdose deaths we wouldn’t have had without the Covid response. Given that about 80% of overdose deaths are 49 and below, Covid response has killed as many if not more people 49 and younger than the virus itself. This is just one of dozens of results-less cancer screenings, kids not in school and lost to the streets, violent crime, on and on.

With that being said, a blanket response to COVID for all ages (especially for 20 year old physical specimens which you appear fine with) may be a bit misguided. Maybe canceling basketball games is stupid. Maybe let life go on for people in much less danger.

Jesus. A million people will have died soon enough and we are back to people over 65 don’t matter.

So all of these schools changed their testing procedure over night in hopes of being able to cancel games?

Are they all part of the conspiracy BB mentioned to "milk this cow." What are the schools gaining by cancelling games?

Nope, just school admins doing what school admins do, being over precautious.

But you are beyond having a rational conversation with, so I'll leave it here.

Nope, just school admins doing what school admins do, being over precautious.

But you are beyond having a rational conversation with, so I'll leave it here.
How is it not rational to ask you to back up your assertion that all of these schools suddenly changed testing procedures over night? That would be a huge story if it led to all these games being cancelled. Obviously coaches would be discussing this during press conferences so it should be easy for you to confirm what you are saying is accurate.

It is much easier to say you were being careful In the current climate. I hope the season is not cancelled.

I hope we see a big surge in cases and then a big decline and we can get on with our lives.

like last time and the time before that?

Because we are only on day 658 of our “15 days to slow the spread.” I truly believe when we hit day 2,837 we should start getting back to somewhat normalcy.
My oldest kids - twin boys, 7yo - are in second grade and have yet to have a normal school year in their life. I’ve only been able to attend one parent function and lunch at school since they started and they have never gotten to even go on a field trip. Maybe by the time they are in middle school things will get back to normal…

Good discussion of the COVID situation on today's CBS college hoops podcast. Cliffs: The hosts have talked to coaches at various teams who told them testing hasn't changed. Most teams had not tested any players in months per their protocols for vaccinated players. Players are now exhibiting symptoms which is triggering testing. Specific to this weekend, a lot of teams are backing out of away games because they don't want to fly some place and have additional players test positive and be stuck there quarantining over Christmas.

Reactions: MattAU05
Good discussion of the COVID situation on today's CBS college hoops podcast. Cliffs: The hosts have talked to coaches at various teams who told them testing hasn't changed. Most teams had not tested any players in months per their protocols for vaccinated players. Players are now exhibiting symptoms which is triggering testing. Specific to this weekend, a lot of teams are backing out of away games because they don't want to fly some place and have additional players test positive and be stuck there quarantining over Christmas.

I'll go with Jon on this one. A dozen + teams didn't all come down with covid over night, after months of nothing, that's just completely silly to think.

I'll go with Jon on this one. A dozen + teams didn't all come down with covid over night, after months of nothing, that's just completely silly to think.
Jon didn't say this was not starting with players who were symptomatic. He said cases are "mostly" asymptomatic which linese up with what the CBS guys said with the issue starting with a player who was symptomatic which triggers testing of players who have been around that player.

Where are the links you were working on backing up your claim that all of the schools suddenly changed their testing protocols over night?

Reactions: MattAU05
Jon didn't say this was not starting with players who were symptomatic. He said cases are "mostly" asymptomatic which linese up with what the CBS guys said with the issue starting with a player who was symptomatic which triggers testing of players who have been around that player.

Where are the links you were working on backing up your claim that all of the schools suddenly changed their testing protocols over night?

Theres no incentive to change testing protocols. There’s just an increase in cases because of omnicron sweeping through right now. Not sure why that’s a contentious thing to say. Seems obvious.

Reactions: DM8
Theres no incentive to change testing protocols. There’s just an increase in cases because of omnicron sweeping through right now. Not sure why that’s a contentious thing to say. Seems obvious.

If it would have been a trickle of cancellations and then a large increase sure. But it didn't go from none to two dozen over night just by chance.

Matt's that's just silly.

If it would have been a trickle of cancellations and then a large increase sure. But it didn't go from none to two dozen over night just by chance.

Matt's that's just silly.
And you still can't find a single link backing up your theory that all these schools suddenly changed their testing protocol. Meanwhile, cases are going up all over the country. Is that because regular people have all decided to get tested randomly and frequently just as you are claiming is now suddenly the case for basketball teams?

My friend Sekou didn’t die of a cold, my man. I get triggered AF about this “it’s all fake” rhetoric, but I probably should just move it and move along.
Sorry to hear that. I guess we all get triggered by this virus and it’s related issues in one way or the other. I know people injured by the vaccines and who have been denied treatments and therapeutics that work and thus made to suffer so I suppose it goes all ways. I’ve Never said this thing was fake - but I do think there is a lot of manipulation and suppression of facts going on that has made it a lot worse than it should have been and that vaccines are not in my opinion the answer and to continue to push them is not good. I think they could have done a much better job of encouraging people to get their vitamin levels up and work harder on treatments so that if they get it they’re impacted to a less severe degree. As far as the omicron variant is concerned - which was the subject of the discussion - it is largely just a cold which means the virus is mutating into something less deadly which is a good thing. Again sorry if I upset you. Not my intention

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT