ADVERTISEMENT

So what triggered all this????

DavistonTiger

Bunker Legend
Gold Member
Feb 18, 2015
Why are we all of a sudden testing like it's 2 years ago in the last 24 hours.

I fully expect them to pause the season.

Reactions: phildawg22
It is much easier to say you were being careful In the current climate. I hope the season is not cancelled.

I hope we see a big surge in cases and then a big decline and we can get on with our lives.

• Haha
Reactions: FIG-JAM
It is much easier to say you were being careful In the current climate. I hope the season is not cancelled.

I hope we see a big surge in cases and then a big decline and we can get on with our lives.

I don't expect a cancellation but I wouldn't be shocked with a pause at all, until say the end of January.

My question is are they still only testing players that haven't been vaccinated? Or have they started testing everyone no matter what?

Reactions: Stumpfan
My question is are they still only testing players that haven't been vaccinated? Or have they started testing everyone no matter what?

That's more what I'm asking here

Not a debate over politics. Did something change over the testing recently that triggered this?

Reactions: MammadouDat
Omnicron is ripping through various regions so we are seeing a lot of positive tests. Early anecdotal data shows that this variant is much milder. It could very well become the dominant variant and, if it is as mild as people think, it might be a great thing. It’s just a cold. But it is a little too early. There were some people who thought/hoped Delta would be like this. Instead it ended up being more transmissible AND stronger. So we probably need more data.

Not saying I necessarily agree with the cancellations. And I certainly don’t like them. But the reason it is happening is pretty obvious.

These children stand ZERO chance of becoming I’ll from this.
“But what about the vulnerable people around them!?!?”

stay the hell home. If you are vulnerable, stay home. It’s time to stop canceling society because a few people could get sick. We have the infrastructure to support this.

Omnicron is ripping through various regions so we are seeing a lot of positive tests. Early anecdotal data shows that this variant is much milder. It could very well become the dominant variant and, if it is as mild as people think, it might be a great thing. It’s just a cold. But it is a little too early. There were some people who thought/hoped Delta would be like this. Instead it ended up being more transmissible AND stronger. So we probably need more data.

Not saying I necessarily agree with the cancellations. And I certainly don’t like them. But the reason it is happening is pretty obvious.

I get that part. But why all the testing overnight? All these teams just didn't all of a sudden start feeling under the weather in the last 24. Something change on the testing level.

The protocols are the protocols and when you're faced with sitting half a team or postponing games, postponing looks pretty good.

The problem is that this thing is changing so often, you can't finish a season under the same guidelines you started it.

Reactions: RTFtiger
I get that part. But why all the testing overnight? All these teams just didn't all of a sudden start feeling under the weather in the last 24. Something change on the testing level.

Is there a confirmed increase in testing? I just kind of assumed the testing was going on as normal but we had a bunch more positives popping up suddenly because of the new variant.

Reactions: DM8
yeah, I am not sure the protocol. Most folks testing positive are vaxed. So, they are either testing everyone periodically or testing every one who has close contact with someone who tests positive.

Reactions: DavistonTiger
Might as well cancel sports, hell cancel life, until the end of time then because it's never going anywhere. I guess if my dollars depended on keeping this alive I'd do my damndest as well

Reactions: jjchiare

Delta was never shown to be any deadlier. It just hit a lot more people because it was 100% more contagious than the original variant.

Also, we don’t know how less severe it is than delta since the countries it is hitting has way more vaccinations and natural immunity than it did when delta hit. All indications are it’s clearly less severe though. The omicron problem is it evades vaccines/natural immunity better and it’s way more contagious. With some many more people getting hit, it can overwhelm hospitals who are already dealing with delta and the flu. I’m glad it’s less severe and it’s going to go thru us quickly.

Reactions: MattAU05
Is there a confirmed increase in testing? I just kind of assumed the testing was going on as normal but we had a bunch more positives popping up suddenly because of the new variant.
Yeah, my thought is that this thing (likely Omicron) is blooming at a very inopportune time.....but hopefully, as someone alluded to earlier, it will result in a very quick burn.

My niece plays college basketball. She’s vaccinated and they tested her due to being by a player in the bench that tested positive. I don’t get why unless she reported symptoms. It seems many schools are doing more than what the ncaa requires. It’s dumb at this point. If a player wants to opt out then fine but no reason to test players now and especially if vaccinated or they already had Covid.

My niece plays college basketball. She’s vaccinated and they tested her due to being by a player in the bench that tested positive. I don’t get why unless she reported symptoms. It seems many schools are doing more than what the ncaa requires. It’s dumb at this point. If a player wants to opt out then fine but no reason to test players now and especially if vaccinated or they already had Covid.

This is what I'm guess also. Certain schools are going above and beyond and causing these cancellations and not all these teams just being unable to play overnight.

Reactions: jjchiare
Because we are only on day 658 of our “15 days to slow the spread.” I truly believe when we hit day 2,837 we should start getting back to somewhat normalcy.

Yeah, my thought is that this thing (likely Omicron) is blooming at a very inopportune time.....but hopefully, as someone alluded to earlier, it will result in a very quick burn.

I just don’t know what happens after this quick burn. Is it going to hit everywhere in the US at once? Variants haven’t done this in the past. Will this hit the entire US now due to being so contagious? Will it flare up later? Will there be another variant that takes over for omicron that’s even less deadly?

That's more what I'm asking here

Not a debate over politics. Did something change over the testing recently that triggered this?

They stopped making that distinction, at least in the SEC, and decided to test everyone regardless before the football season opened, IIRC. We went into some detail discussing it ... right around the time that Harsin's statement came out about not discussing it, the policy was if you had been vaccinated you didn't have to test, then they decided to just test regardless.

Reactions: DM8 and RTFtiger
This is what I'm guess also. Certain schools are going above and beyond and causing these cancellations and not all these teams just being unable to play overnight.

A team cancelled a game with two infections even after being medically cleared. The team had a 1% chance of winning so it wasn’t due to that.

They stopped making that distinction, at least in the SEC, and decided to test everyone regardless before the football season opened, IIRC. We went into some detail discussing it ... right around the time that Harsin's statement came out about not discussing it, the policy was if you had been vaccinated you didn't have to test, then they decided to just test regardless.

I think they only test players that report symptoms, right? Then test those contact traced even if vaccinated?

Omicron competes with Delta. In South Africa, it dominated Delta to the extent of completely displacing it. This was a good thing because Omicron produced very few hospitalizations compared to Delta.

Omicron competes with Delta. In South Africa, it dominated Delta to the extent of completely displacing it. This was a good thing because Omicron produced very few hospitalizations compared to Delta.

Delta was mostly gone in SA. It was still alive and well in the UK though and it’s overtaking it. We will know shortly if it completely wipes out delta in the UK (a good thing).

Yeah. That's not gonna happen. They haven't come close to milking this cow dry.

Lol. Conspiracy guy, are they going to make up case numbers? The cases and deaths and hospitalizations are either there or they are not. The last time they were mostly not there was June. If we can get to June numbers and stay there, we would have made it to a second flu so you speak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT