RESERVE OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
Kaleb Kim 11
Wilson Bell 11
Tyler Carr 8
Prince Micheal Sammons 8
(Marquel Harrell went the distance)

TIMES TARGETED
Ryan Davis 11 (8 catches/63 yards)
Darius Slayton 9 (4 catches/146 yards/TD)
Eli Stove 3 (3 catches/6 yards)
Kerryon Johnson 2 (2 catches/15 yards)
Nate Craig-Myers 1 (1 catch/26 yards)
Will Hastings 1 (1 catch/22 yards)
Devan Barrett 1 (1 catch/4 yards)
Chandler Cox 1 (1 catch/2 yards)

OTHER ITEMS OF NOTE:

** Motion was included in 28 of the Tigers' 77 plays (36 percent) against Arkansas, which is below the team's average of 44 percent. Auburn used motion on a season-high 68 percent of snaps against Mississippi State two weeks ago.

** This was a new twist on the one-back power — Auburn pulled both the guard and tackle during this first-quarter snap. The blocking was set up nicely for a solid gain, though Kerryon Johnson elected to cut it inside and get what he could. There was a run-fitter headed for the C gap. A bigger gain wasn't guaranteed. Anyway, it's interesting to see Auburn still adding some wrinkles.

** Auburn scored its most exciting touchdown of the night on the reverse sweep pass from Ryan Davis to Darius Slayton, but that was prefaced by a "standard" reverse sweep from Eli Stove. The Tigers added this wrinkle for the LSU game — and they're apparently going to stick with it. Loyal readers know I highlight buck sweeps in this space and they haven't been particularly fruitful this season. By adding this reverse action, they're able to soften the edge for future successes — at least in theory.

Also, this is a touchdown if Slayton stays out of Stove's lane.

Also, they were preparing to run this again during the second quarter, but it was blown dead by a penalty.

** This one made me laugh. Andrew Williams emasculated center Frank Ragnow on this pass rush — and elicited one of the most obvious holds of the entire season. The play rightfully was flagged, though poor Andrew doesn't get credit for the sack because Auburn took the penalty. It preferred 1st-and-20 to 2nd-and-18. Still a great play by Williams to overcome the hold and get the BISCUIT.

** I don't have an answer for you on Nate Craig-Myers. Fifty-one snaps and one target just isn't good enough. I feel like we — me included — may be overrating him a bit. Even so, it's difficult to believe he's worth 1/8th the number of Slayton targets.

** Malzahn told me after the game that the Johnson/Pettway dichotomy wasn't planned; that ushering in Pettway for the second half (after getting very little work in the first half) was just a function of happenstance. Regardless, Arkansas' defense simply wasn't up to the task of stopping Uno Kam. These three touchdown runs are remarkably poor from a defensive perspective. They're not straining, as Rodney Garner would say. No passion. No heart. Total defeat.

You don't see this very often in the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News