FOOTBALL SEC Media Days: ala coach Kalen DeBoer

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
I will do this against better judgment. 😐

OPENING STATEMENT

(He was the coach at Washington last season.)

He thanks sports writers "for all the stories."

He has some players here. Three of them. He likes them. I don't really care that he likes them — nor do you.

He says it's been "welcoming" to come into the Tuscaloosa community. "It's been special."

He makes a reference to Nate Oats getting to the Final Four and the softball team making the WCWS. 🥱

He says it's a pleasure to go to work these days.

"We had a great spring. We were able to retain, pretty much, the entire roster."

He says his guys "come in with a competitive mindset every day."

He lauds his team for doing well academically. (I can't fact-check that.)

****QUESTIONS****

Q about his QB, Jalen Milroe.

"Positive but also accountability. He's tirelessly working with the receiver corps. He's continued to expand upon his game with the throws he can make. He dives into (work)." (Mentions that Milroe is in the complex at 4 a.m. most days.)

Q about taking over a program with good leaders.
"They all understand ... what it takes. They love the game. They love the work associated with the game."

Q about his players from the state of Alabama.
"I actually took notes. I'm still taking notes. I want to do things the way I've done them in some aspects. When it really comes down to this team, it's about the work we're doing right now. You meet them in the middle. We work together."

Q about following Saban.
"I totally get it. There's only one Coach Saban. There only will ever be one Coach Saban. I just take it as a great honor to ... carry on the great tradition. So much was put into this place. Coaching football is coaching football. I've done this for enough years and seen what good culture looks like. The alternative is to be places where there aren't expectations."

Q about recruiting in the southeast considering he ain't from here.
"I know the intensity level that existed here and throughout the SEC. I knew it was important for me to put the right people around me. There has to be some familiarity with the region. You're behind when you come in and it's the middle of January and you haven't even put a staff together. We were behind. I had to have a staff that would work well together. It's all hands on deck."

Q about some rando analyst. (Don't care.)
Nope.

Q about not coaching south of Illinois. He's never done it.
"I sweat a lot more. It's hot. People are always what make places. I've lived in a lot of different places ... there are so many great people in Tuscaloosa. It ... reminds me of being back in South Dakota. There's a lot of great things that feel similar to being back home."

Q about what has surprised him about going to the university and Tuscaloosa.
"What really has been awesome to see ... our guys be completely, 100% focused on the main things. Their trust and belief and accountability is one thing. But the way they respect each other? They know they need each other to reach the goals we have."

Q about where he came from.
"I didn't drive a bus. I would not trade my journey for anything. It gives me an appreciation for where I'm at. There was a time when I was ... working with equipment, pretty much a G.A., an offensive coordinator and a head coach at the same time."

Q about similarities between him and Saban.
"Saban pushed them to be their best. Every coach is different. We all have our styles. In the end, the most important things are pretty similar. Pouring into the guys, pushing them to be their best."

**THAT'S A WRAP**

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.