ADVERTISEMENT

**Reviewing The Staff

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
A lot has occurred during the past 24 to 48 hours. Let's quickly review and perhaps look ahead.

WILL MUSCHAMP
Monday, he was going after the USCe job. He seemed reasonably at peace to remain at Auburn one more year if the USCe thing didn't go though. He wants to be a head coach. We all know that. He gets along reasonably well with Malzahn, even better with his defensive assistants. So be it.

At some point Wednesday night or perhaps Thursday morning, something changed. Muschamp seemed less OK with remaining at Auburn and ramped up efforts to keep all opportunities on the table. That included what could be considered lateral moves to Georgia and Alabama -- as an assistant. He doesn't want to do that; he wants to be the head coach at South Carolina. If that falls through, however, Muschamp seems inclined to at least seriously consider leaving Auburn.

Is it a ploy? It's important to note that Muschamp is a client of Memphis-based super agent Jimmy Sexton, who is adroit at using/creating drama to forward his (and his clients') ends.

So what happened? That's the real question here. If South Carolina goes in another direction. If USCe hires him, eh, he was leaving anyway. If South Carolina hires someone else, then this "something happened" situation means a lot more.

I'm not entirely sure. I think it's fair to say he got ticked off by something that happened during the past few days. Or, perhaps, more ticked off about something that's been happening for a long time. We (Jeffrey, Bryan and I) hear different things. The common denominator is that Muschamp feels like he was hindered by some pettiness and that irritates him to no end. I don't believe this issue involves Malzahn directly.

So Muschamp, in a sense, is in a holding pattern. He's been talking with some potential hires if he gets the USCe job. That doesn't mean he's getting the cart ahead of the horse. This is how it works. You gotta know beforehand what your options are in case something happens at USCe.

For what it's worth, Muschamp has spoken with Malzahn during the past 24 hours. It was a friendly, cordial conversation. These men are not at odds and haven't been at odds.

TRAVARIS ROBINSON
T-Rob's situation is concurrently difficult and awesome. We believe he has a standing offer to join Maryland's staff, now headed by former Florida co-worker D.J. Durkin, and that probably is as a defensive coordinator. There is a time limit on that offer insofar as Durkin is assembling his staff right now. Today. If Muschamp gets the USCe job, then it's a given that Robinson will have a standing offer to follow Muschamp to Columbia. Is that as a coordinator? I don't know.

Robinson, of course, also will have the option of remaining at Auburn regardless of what happens. He wants a titled position, "defensive coordinator" or perhaps "co-defensive coordinator," and Auburn may be able to offer that. Robinson is, in my opinion, a principled man. Auburn means something to him since he played here. All things being equal, he wants to coach here. I'm not sure everything has to be exactly equal for him to stay, but he'll need some kind of a bump in terms of overall stature.

He's going to get paid more regardless.

The feeling inside the complex is that Robinson will have an opportunity to succeed Muschamp at Auburn. He's loyal, he's damn good at his job and he's a fine recruiter.

LANCE THOMPSON
We can't get solid intel on his intentions, though we're 100 percent sure he's keeping his eyes open. Thompson always has a few options available. He's a popular and respected coach. TBA.

RODNEY GARNER
No change.

BOBBY BENTLEY
This Auburn analyst has grown close with Muschamp during the past year. They have similar personalities and ways of interacting with people off the field. Like-minded men, you could say. Bentley probably is in the best position of everyone. He'll likely go with Muschamp at South Carolina if Muschamp heads that way. If not, Bentley has a great shot at landing an on-the-field position at Auburn. Either way, that's a step up and more money. Win-win.

TIM HORTON
He applied for the top job at North Texas, but didn't make the finals. It was a long shot in that Horton hasn't really served as a coordinator. (He was briefly named offensive coordinator at Air Force in 2007, but ended up leaving for Arkansas a short time later.) Horton would like to move up, but it's unclear how he's planning to do that. Horton is a super high-character guy and Malzahn very much wants to keep Horton around as long as possible.

DAMEYUNE CRAIG
No change.

J.B. GRIMES
He's feel much better than he did a few months back. At one point, I thought this might be his final season due to the cancer found last summer, but Grimes seems pretty energized.

SCOTT FOUNTAIN
No change.

RHETT LASHLEE
We've been contacted by a few people who cover other programs about Lashlee. I received a text just today from someone saying he'd been discussed at Texas as a potential candidate at OC. I suspect he's taking a look at some small HC jobs, perhaps Monroe, and anything else that might offer him a chance to break out on his own. Working under the same head coach for too long can lead to career stagnation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News