ADVERTISEMENT

Repeating an old story, best ever for me

Bob Mapplethorpe

AKA "MOMO-B"
Gold Member
Jul 16, 2011
Here
I’ve been on the self imposed “night shift” for a few days. It gives me time to think. “Try more gum sweetie”
$1 to @CJ3131

Some of you will remember this story.

A few years ago my dad had an ocular tumor. It was very weird that it was found, because his visit was of a freakish nature. He lost his sun glasses, and went in to get new ones before a fly fishing trip. The abnormality was discovered, and then later diagnosed and dealt with. While my dad was in the Memphis Airport, he saw a young boy bloated with chemo, and in a wheel chair. The young man had a braves shirt on. Dad asked him if he was a big baseball fan. The kid could barely speak, but said that he was. My father had a replica SD Giants Championship ring in his briefcase. He took it out, and he gave it to Jonah. My family is made up of lovable assholes.

Dad shared Jonah’s story with our family. We were told he had less than a year to live.

There aren’t many things on this earth that get me excited. I had an idea. I wanted to get Jonah on the field at a braves game. I emailed the Braves and called repeatedly. We were on the long list to get in. That list doesn’t ever really come through quickly.
Here’s what happened. I posted my request on the bunker for anyone with a contact to please help this young man. Your buddy @rthomas14 stepped in and followed this pursuit for months!!!!!! He pursued a difficult task that I won’t even bring up. He navigated the most difficult of waters to get to a solution. He contacted Tim and Kim Hudson. My friends, what a rainbow they shed on our new friend. They got him in the locker room, and on the field with several autographed balls and bats. Are you kidding me!!!!!???? Do you know how much love is here? Rob made this happen for us, and so did the Hudson’s. I’ve never been a part of anything greater in my life. Jonah died a week after that game. Can you tell me there is anything greater than giving? Can you tell me there is anyone better than @rthomas14? I was just anxiously thinking about baseball and all of sports returning tonight. This memory made me take a big breath and be more ready than ever to charge into uncertainty. Come hell or high waters, we will see tomorrow, and see it well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News