ADVERTISEMENT

**QUICK NOTES: Will Muschamp...

BryanMatthews

ANIMATED GIF MASTER
Staff
May 9, 2014
Auburn, AL
auburn.rivals.com
** Very pleased with effort. Two days in helmets and long was to go.

** Players much more prepared coming in now that NCAA allows time for them to meet with coaches during offseason.

** He's asking his players for effort right now.

** Asks his nickel to do a little bit more coverage than the previous Star position. He's going to cross-train a lot of guys at different spots.

** Tim Irvin does a nice job at nickel and has a very good feel in the slot. "It's a hard transition coming in midyear ... we've just got to build his stamina and endurance." Irvin also working at safety.

** Limiting Carl Lawson to about half the reps this spring. "I've been extremely pleased with his leadership .. he plays extremely hard ... I think he will be very effective (as a Buck)."

** Tray Matthews is a physical player, saw that in bowl practice. Football is important to him. Constantly in complex watching film. "I've been pleased with his maturity level."

** Joking about his time at Florida, saying he was very involved in defense but not as involved in offense as some said. "I should have been," he joked.

** Gus Malzahn has been very open in sharing ideas. Working together on what is and isn't effective against the no-huddle, hurry-up offenses.

** Muschamp said Malzahn runs a physical offense -- led the SEC in rushing 5 of the six years as a coordinator and coach.

** Andrew Williams has worked both inside and outside and will continue to do so. Elijah has worked only end so far, been bothered a little by hamstring injury. When Lambert comes back, he'll work inside and out.

** Been pleased with Justin Garrett and Tre Williams as linebackers behind McKinzy and Frost. Will plat a lot of nickel against passing offenses. Those four have stood out. Javy Mitchell has stood out too. Tre' working as an inside LB -- Mike and Will are basically interchangeable.

** Jonathan Jones is a little slowed by foot injury, nothing serious. Need some other guys to step up. Still identifying what his guys in the secondary right now.

** Looking for who they can count on, trust on and off the field this spring. Wants to leave camp knowing who those guys are. "If it's 11, it's 11. I'd love for it to be 25 guys."

** Signed a lot of good football players on both side of the ball that will have a chance to help out right away. Told them they'll have to come in and earn it. How much Byron Cowart plays this fall will be up to him.

** Have some form of new installation through first eight practices.

** Rudy Ford will have to play some corner for them this spring. "He's a physical tough player, can really run."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News