ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Player quick notes (11/17)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to talk with four Auburn players -- T.J. Finley, Nick Brahms, Chandler Wooten and Roger McCreary -- here in a couple of minutes. Keep refreshing for all of your updates.

NICK BRAHMS

- On T.J. Finley handling responsibilities: "He's really taken control of the offense and prepared for times like these."

- On Senior Day (which is next week) - "It's a bittersweet moment. I love Auburn."

- On changes with Finley behind center: "T.J. is about the same rhythm as Bo on his cadence. He claps loud. He has big hands."

- On getting running game: "We gotta take some pressure off of him a little bit. The run game is going to get big ... it's big every week even when we had Bo."

- On mood of the team after two losses: "Yesterday's practice went really well. A lot of energy."

- Brahms thinks TJ can lean on the experience of coming in and saving Auburn against Georgia State.

- Brahms is hopeful that Brandon Council can come back this week. "He's rehabbing pretty hard."

- On chances of him coming back due to extra year: "I've talked to coaches a little bit about it. I do have that extra year ... That's going to be something I talk about at the end of year with the coaches and my family. I haven't ruled it out."

TJ FINLEY

- It's always bad news when starter goes down. Injuries do happen though. Says he has been preparing like a starter since day one. Him and Bo have been talking about game plan.

- Says him preparing as a starter has only made him get better. Says his ultimate goal is the NFL.

- On first start at Auburn coming against South Carolina like at LSU, he says he and his family have talked about that. "God has his purpose."

- Says Cam Newton called him and they went through a devotional together. "He's one of the most inspirational people in my life." They met at 7-on-7 when TJ was in high school. Says Cam came and introduced himself. Says Newton also called after the Georgia State game.

- Finley says the whole receiver group is special and we just haven't seen it yet. Says Shedrick and Demetris are doing a great job at being leaders of the group.

- Says he is focused on his consistency, doesn't have to do anything special.

- Says Tank is a clown. They were both in Fort Lauderdale at same time. Tank was working out and, when Finley entered transfer portal, the running back called him and they met up and called Mike Bobo. Says Kobe Hudson also was reaching out to him even when he was at LSU. Colby Wooden also helped in making him comfortable at Auburn.

- Finley has been taking a lot of mental reps this season in place of actual reps in practice. Now he's getting the first-team reps.

- He thinks we will see a different running attack this week.

- On support of teammates: "Those guys, like I said, I've been doing my best to be a leader since I got here ... When people see you do the right thing, they want to follow you."

- On facing SC pass defense: "I know they like to play a lot of man. They like to get hands on."

CHANDLER WOOTEN

(Sorry. My computer speakers malfunctioned for a large part of Wooten's time.)

- What happened Saturday is out of their control now so it is now just about locking in and moving on.

- On Zakoby: "He's never lacked confidence before. That man there's a baller, and he knows it. And everybody else knows it too."

- On Senior Day next week: "It's been a roller coaster. ... I'm really just enjoying where I'm at right now, soaking it all up."

ROGER MCCREARY

- Blames lack of communication and focus on the bad play in the second half last week.

- "Some people just weren't doing their jobs." Says they noticed that MSU was doing some of the same things over and over.

- "We already knew they were going to throw the ball a lot." - The Air Raid didn't come as a surprise to the defense, obviously.

- On carrying the confidence: "We're always going to try and carry the confidence every week."

- Says South Carolina uses a lot of different formations. It's a new offensive coordinator for the Gamecocks (yes, because Mike Bobo is now at Auburn).

- On revenge factor after last season: "We're just sweeping that game away. It's a whole new year for us. It's nothing about the past."

- On having Zakoby as a teammate: "He's always going to bring the energy to the game every time."

- On not having Pappoe out there: "It was a big impact on our defense."

ANNNNNNNNDDD that's it for today's media session.

Auburn takes on South Carolina at 6 p.m. CT on Saturday.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News