ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Let's hear likes and dislikes about the holiday season

Scribe Tiger

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2011
I dig this time of year. All of it, from late October through January is a chain of commemorations, including anniversaries and birthdays, that make it special for us. Sure, I know it's a diurnal social animal's coping mechanism for the portion of the year with less daylight, but it does the trick.

The height of it all is naturally Christmastime. The music -- mostly jazz in our house -- is cherished. Same with a brightened face when they unwrap a gift chosen with special consideration, or hugs from friends not seen in years. The decorative lights imbue humble 'hoods with a magic absent during the rest of the calendar year. Those are the revered parts.

But like a lot of folks, I curl my lip at the materialism and advertising onslaught that has come to characterize the modern holiday. My old experiences working retail during this time of year showed me how many people let the frenzy infect them, and how they pass it on to others. The pushing and tugging and swearing and straining. And that's just Santa getting into his costume. The customers were even worse.

I know it's a big economic driver but it just seems so much of the better parts of the holiday get lost in the hustle, that it can't help but detract from the minutes we could all spend savoring it just a little more. We say it's about "giving," but it seems our society chiefly values it because it can be monetized, meshing with de Tocqueville's observations of Americans from nearly 200 years ago.

So what's you favorite part of the holiday season? What do you wish you could change about it?

Reactions: Big Blue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News